DiMarzio Evolution Pickups - Jemsite
Pickups & wiring Discussion about pickup types, replacements, recomendations, switching, wiring diagrams and sustainer systems for ANY guitar, JEMs included.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-14-2007, 08:24 AM Thread Starter

DiMarzio Evolution Pickups

Good morning all.

Today I've got a question about the DiMarzio Evolution pickups, and I need everyone who has any experience with them to chime in please.

I've got DiMarzio Evolutions loaded on my Ibanez RG1620X, both for neck and bridge pickups, and I think they sound nice.
Lately I've been trying to figure out a way to mimic having 4 channels on my Mesa Boogie Mark IV. I really, really, want a heavy, chunky, crunchy Rhytm tone...something that can get downright mean. And then I want that lovely searing, liquidy Lead Tone that the Mark IV is so known for. With my amp I'm able to accomplish one or the other, not both, and even at it's best, the Rhythm Crunch is still a little lacking. I have the Mark IV A.
Anyway, in an effort to solve this problem, I bought an MXR ZW-44 Pedal. I'm a big John Petrucci fan, so I figured, Good enough for him, Good enough for me. Not so.

At almost any setting (except with the gain off almost completely)I was getting uncontrollable feedback. I would put my hands over the strings, switch pickup settings, turn away from the amp, and still got this very undesirable feedback.
In order to solve the feedback I was forced to walk out of my room and into the hallway of the house, lol. The feedback would go away when playing, but as soon as I stopped, it returned.
However, when I plugged in my Dean Vendetta 1.7....no feedback. It occurred to me at this point that the feedback must be caused by my Pickups. Realizing that they were designed in part by Steve Vai, this kind of made a lot of sense to me, lol, but I'm willing to accept that I could be entirely wrong.

So my question to you is, I recently sold the MXR on the bay, and still find myself wanting that Crunchy Rhythm tone. Am I going to have this problem again if I try a pedal like the BB Preamp, or perhaps the Tube Driver?

I'm sure a couple of you are thinking "Just walk further away from the amp", but I can't...my room is 9x10, and I don't have much place to go, lol. I would also like to be able to use any gain pedal to it's fullest, so having the gain 1/8 of the way on, because I would get feedback, wouldn't please me =(

Also, what do you think of the pickups in general? If I continue to have this problem, should I just change pickups, or are the DiMarzio Evolutions that amazing and I just don't know it? lol

So any opinions, experiences or offerings are very appreciated guys

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-14-2007, 08:30 AM

Re: DiMarzio Evolution Pickups

I use a Mark III and I loathe the sound of Evos. Try a Tone Zone, Breed, or D-Sonic.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-14-2007, 10:26 AM

Reviews: 65

Well I love the Evos.
Playing through a JSX and a Mesa Dual Rec I had no problems at all, even when adding the DS-1. Of course if I stand directly infront of the cab I get feedback, but simple turnaround solves that nicely.

Btw. I don't think the above recommendations would work for you, as you obviously have some output problem, you might have the same problem with any high output pups that improve overtone richness. So with Breeds, T Zone etc. you might just have the same feedback.
post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-14-2007, 11:53 AM

I know the RG1620X doesn't have a scratchplate, but when I had a similar problem with my JEM7VWH it was because the scratchplate was vibrating and therefore the pickups (I had no problems with the neck pu). I found if I rested my finger on the scratchplate by the volume pot the squeal went away. I suspect the mounting of the pickups, are they screwed in fully to the body?
Jim
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-14-2007, 02:04 PM

Reviews: 12

Quote:
At almost any setting (except with the gain off almost completely)I was getting uncontrollable feedback. I would put my hands over the strings, switch pickup settings, turn away from the amp, and still got this very undesirable feedback.
In order to solve the feedback I was forced to walk out of my room and into the hallway of the house, lol. The feedback would go away when playing, but as soon as I stopped, it returned.
I have that same problem with my Evo-equipped 760... it sounds fine when I plug it up to my little 15w practice amp but when I plug it in to my rack setup[ENGL 530 pre + Mesa 2:90]... I get this almost squeal-like feedback, even at lo-gain distortion.
I've tried possible solutions: lowering poles, reversing the bridge coil to point towards the neck[much easier to do this with pickup rings], soldered connections... still nothing. I'm not sure at this point whether its a shielding problem, grounding problem, or something obscure.
I thought it was only this particular Evo that was doing this nuance but after reading this, maybe Evo's are generally like this?
However, the Evo7 in my GR is quiet, i assume its the Evo7's wax-baseplate that's taming this "feedback" as opposed to the black baseplate on a regular Evo.

Quote:
Lately I've been trying to figure out a way to mimic having 4 channels on my Mesa Boogie Mark IV. I really, really, want a heavy, chunky, crunchy Rhytm tone...something that can get downright mean.
if you're not happy with the Evo, ya can try a D-Sonic; light pick attack "emulates" a light crunch channel on high-gain mode and strong attack brings out the true nature of this beast.

Reg
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-14-2007, 05:50 PM Thread Starter

Some interesting suggestions so far, and I greatly appreciate them, but I need more.

I'm pretty sure the pickups are well mounted. When I try to move em, they don't wanna budge. I have an Ibanez JPM P4 and was very happ with the pickups. Didn't get the opportunity to try out that guitar with the pedal before selling it, because at the moment it's in desperate need of being set up, and Floyd Roses don't agree with me when it comes to setting up, lol. I'm pretty sure I need a "Guitar Setup for Morons" book. What can I say, I play, not repair, lol.
I had considered the D-sonic, mainly courtesy of Petrucci's new found use of it. I've heard good things. I'll keep that in the back of my mind.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-14-2007, 07:38 PM

IMO, the Evo isn't going to get you where you want to be. I'd try a Super 3. Killer pup for crushing rhythm sounds. Tons of output so don't expect tonal nuance or anything. The other thing you can do is buy a better boost.

I've got a Breed in a Jackson and I've come to the conclusion after using all the Vai pups that I'm just not into any of them. I loved the Evo at first but after a month I sold it. Couldn't stand it. IMO, it's one of the best pups for leads I've used, but that's about it. Seems really compressed to me.

About the boost... An Xotic BB Preamp, or even something like a Fulltone OCD set really low is great for boosting a rhythm type sound. I've been playing around with mine and I can get my Lonestar to sound almost as brutal as my VHT by boosting it with the OCD. That being said, that defeats the purpose of the lonestar, but you get the idea.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-15-2007, 12:38 AM Thread Starter

Ok, so what would you guys think of, Air Norton in the neck and D-Sonic in the bridge?
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-15-2007, 12:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morbid View Post
Ok, so what would you guys think of, Air Norton in the neck and D-Sonic in the bridge?
I love the Air Norton in the neck. It also makes a pretty cool mid output bridge pup. I also love the Humbucker from Hell in the neck. I've thought about trying out the D-sonic myself.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-15-2007, 01:36 AM Thread Starter

I've got an Ibanez JPM P4, and I really like the Air Norton myself.
I'm considering the D-Sonic because I've heard great things about it (including in this thread),and of course, my hero uses it, so why not try it right? lol
With any luck I can find purple ones to match the guitar, haha.

Tags
air norton , bridge pickup , bridge pickups , bridge pup , dimarzio evo , dimarzio evolution , dimarzio evolution pickups , dimarzio evolutions , evolution pickups , floyd rose , ibanez jpm , john petrucci , mesa boogie , mesa boogie mark , mesa dual , pickup ring , pickup rings , practice amp , rack setup , steve vai , tone zone

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode