Dimarzio Evolutions vs. V7 - Jemsite
Pickups & wiring Discussion about pickup types, replacements, recomendations, switching, wiring diagrams and sustainer systems for ANY guitar, JEMs included.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-28-2005, 09:15 AM Thread Starter

Dimarzio Evolutions vs. V7

I have a 1992 Rg 550 with the V7,V8,S1 pickups... How much of a difference would putting an evo in my guitar, in the neck posiotion, make?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-28-2005, 09:33 AM

Reviews: 34
Re: Dimarzio Evolutions vs. V7

A lot.

I have never used Evos, but the difference between any of the serious aftermarket pick ups over a "v" series from Ibanez is incredible. In my experience the refinement and voicing over those ibanez pickups is on another level. I know that I have found that the V8 compares even less favourably to Paf Pro. Even if you ignore the different voicing, the difference in the quality of the sound is amazing.
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-28-2005, 11:54 AM

There is a HUGE difference. The V series pickups are really a joke, most people hate them.

However, placing an evo in a basswood body might not be the best idea. Many have done it and loved it, but I much prefer the ToneZone for RG basswood bodies. It sounds amazing, and gives you much needed mids and lows to compensate for the light basswood characteristics.

An evo in basswood is just too harsh and brittle. Bear in mind that evo's were designed to go into the newer alder bodied Jems. There is a big difference between alder and basswood.

A PAF Pro would be an excellent choice to mate with the ToneZone for the neck pos.

Ryan
post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-28-2005, 12:18 PM

Lalala...I've got a Jem90HAM with basswood and Evos...sounds great.
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-28-2005, 02:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by parker_fly
I have a 1992 Rg 550 with the V7,V8,S1 pickups... How much of a difference would putting an evo in my guitar, in the neck posiotion, make?
man..
this question will give everyone a chance to beat thes hit out of V7..

anyways, if using EVO's..u'll witness HIGH sustain. Crunch and clearity of sound.
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-28-2005, 09:16 PM Thread Starter

now Im actually thinkin about gettin only an evo bridge pup, and puttin a sustainer in... hmmmm choices choices
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-28-2005, 11:51 PM

I've tried Neck Evos, Air Norton, Tone Zones, and they all sound much better than the stock pups.
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-29-2005, 01:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by parker_fly
now Im actually thinkin about gettin only an evo bridge pup, and puttin a sustainer in... hmmmm choices choices
i have evo in bridge of my RG470. sustainer is NOT needed...u can put a Air Norton in neck position and u are ready to ream asses.
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-29-2005, 05:59 AM

Sustainers really sound like **** if you ask me...
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-29-2005, 06:17 AM

Steve Special in the bridge
Air Norton in the neck

Are my choice of pickups for basswood, I owned a JEM7VWH with evo's in alder and I must say it was WAY too bright and harsh for my tastes.
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-04-2005, 06:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrhea
There is a HUGE difference. The V series pickups are really a joke, most people hate them.

However, placing an evo in a basswood body might not be the best idea. Many have done it and loved it, but I much prefer the ToneZone for RG basswood bodies. It sounds amazing, and gives you much needed mids and lows to compensate for the light basswood characteristics.

An evo in basswood is just too harsh and brittle. Bear in mind that evo's were designed to go into the newer alder bodied Jems. There is a big difference between alder and basswood.

A PAF Pro would be an excellent choice to mate with the ToneZone for the neck pos.

Ryan
thats what my white guitar is pretty much!

white guitar has tone zone in the neck, paf pro in the bridge, i had them the other way around but this way rules!

yellow guitar has dimarzio fred in the bridge and paf pro in the neck and has a near evo or flo sound to it!

my blue one has a seymour duncan JB in the neck and an ibanez v1 and v2 in the middle!
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-05-2005, 03:00 PM

Thumbs up Re: Dimarzio Evolutions vs. V7

Definitely night and day, but I found the Evos too piercing
I suggest a PafPro neck and Breed bridge and block the trem, it makes the Breed sound huge.
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-05-2005, 03:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bachle7
I've tried Neck Evos, Air Norton, Tone Zones, and they all sound much better than the stock pups.
The Air Norton and Tone Zone are putting it in word "AMAZING".

Regards

André

Tags
air norton , alder bodied , basswood bodies , basswood body , breed bridge , bridge pup , evo bridge , ibanez pickups , neck evo , neck position , paf pro , pro neck , seymour duncan , tone zone

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode