Dimarzio Evo's. Making them warm - Jemsite
Pickups & wiring Discussion about pickup types, replacements, recomendations, switching, wiring diagrams and sustainer systems for ANY guitar, JEMs included.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-03-2015, 06:28 PM Thread Starter

Smile Dimarzio Evo's. Making them warm

So in my Ibanez S 470 i have two dimarzio Evo's with the stock middle single coil. And the conundrum im having is that My American Fender (mind you its maple and alder) seems to be extremely darker and warmer.The fender has an Air Norton S in the neck and that seems to be my favorite pickup out of all that i have tried. The guitar itself seems to just have tons of body and warmth no matter what i do (the bridge is a Dimarzio Super 2 and its STILL dark). Now, ive decided i want to try and get the S to sound warm like that in the neck...the bridge im fine with. Despite the S being mahogany, i think putting an Air Norton in the neck and changing the middle pickup to either an Area 67, Injector, or Cruiser, will give me the warm tone in position 5 and that good funk in position 4. The other other option however, is to try 250k pots with the Evos. But Ive also considered the possibility that I might have to do both to match the fender's warm jazzy body. Let me add that the fender has a 500k volume and two 250k tones. Also, ive already toyed with pickup height. Thoughts and sugestions please!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-05-2015, 06:57 PM Thread Starter

Re: Dimarzio Evo's. Making them warm

Decided to EQ the amp, adjust the pickups and the poles and was able to find a perfectly happy medium between the two!
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-05-2015, 07:53 PM

man...that's really strange, a strat with super 2 in the bridge and still dark?
that's really beyond me.

meanwhile, I also feel Evo is warm enough.
I have evo in one guitar, and compare it to another guitar with same spec, only use F2 in the bridge. The evo sounds warmer than F2.
so when I do A/B to these guitar, switching from guitar with evo to guitar with F2, it's like day and night. it's like someone put a blanket in front of my loudspeaker when using the evo.
switching it to F2 it's like the blanket is not there anymore.
post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-05-2015, 08:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by psychoshredder View Post
that's really beyond me.

I have evo in one guitar, and compare it to another guitar with same spec, only use F2 in the bridge. The evo sounds warmer than F2.
so when I do A/B to these guitar, switching from guitar with evo to guitar with F2, it's like day and night. it's like someone put a blanket in front of my loudspeaker when using the evo.
I think I made my evos TOO warm by putting them in a mahogany guitar. So much body and thickness. I like the sound, but WOW are they warm with a punch.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-06-2015, 11:57 AM

I liked the Evo7 bridge in mahogany, but the Air Norton will definitely be darker and smoother than an Evo neck - give it a shot. Pickups are pretty cheap and pretty easy to swap.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-08-2015, 02:13 AM Thread Starter

If i ever go back to a 7 string i will probably try the Evo7 bridge in it, the 6 string version is such a nice pickup. Although i wonder if id like the Evo2 more in a 6.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-08-2015, 02:15 AM Thread Starter

IM actually starting to be interested in the crunch lab and liquifire. I love the air norton more than any other neck pup and the Liquifire is supposedly a tweaked AN so maybe?
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-08-2015, 03:22 AM Thread Starter

Has anybody tried both the Nailbomber and Evos? What are they like in comparison to eachother?
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-08-2015, 04:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by guilherme87 View Post
Has anybody tried both the Nailbomber and Evos? What are they like in comparison to eachother?
I have both: the nailbombs in a mahogany body S series J Custom; evos in a couple of jems.

How they compare... Obviously this is largely dependent on what the rest of your rig consists of, but I'm using a Legacy 3, which is darkly voiced. The evos are considerably hotter, and higher output. I have the alnico nailbomb in the bridge position, so they're warmer and have less of a biting treble than the evos. This manifests itself in less sustain and less vicious pinched harmonics. I do find that the nailbombs react better to dynamic playing, so if you're doing an "always with me, always with you" or an "epilogue for lisa", I'd opt for the nailbombs. Of course, with the right volume control, you can do the same things with the evos, it's just a bit more work.

Now, the problem I have with the nailbombs, as good as they sound as a pickup, is that the Legacy's sweet spots for gain and presence lend themselves to the evos. This is hardly surprising, as they were designed with each other in mind. Lower output pickups like Nailbombs, PAFs etc. can sound marvellous when combined with the amp being pushed - this is what Shawn Lane opted for. However, the Legacy sounds bad when the gain is pushed to that level - it's noisy and tone is sacrificed.

Some people say the evos have ice-pick highs, and this is probably true on many amps, but the Legacy is very dark sounding and the trebles need to be dialled way up to have much impact.

The cleans on both sound really good, and it's hard to pick a favourite in this regard.

Edit: come Christmas I'm getting some equipment to record my amp and do youtube videos, so I'll do some reviews on things like the above

Last edited by Craig_Shaft; 11-08-2015 at 04:49 PM.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-08-2015, 07:24 PM

Reviews: 2

Obviously you've gone past this, bit I would have put an EVO2 in the neck and switched the tone pot over to a 250k that is connected to the neck pup only.

Another great pickup choice would have been a Breed neck.
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-08-2015, 07:25 PM

Reviews: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by psychoshredder View Post
that's really beyond me.

This is my only gripe with the F2. No two of them sound the same. If you get one you like- don't EVER get rid of it!!!
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-08-2015, 07:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RGTFanatic View Post
This is my only gripe with the F2. No two of them sound the same. If you get one you like- don't EVER get rid of it!!!
very true!
it's not the first time I've got guitar with F2.
My first was 760 paisley, the F2 in there sounds too dry, nothing good to speak about. C2 also nothing good to report in.
the 2nd was in 540S LTD, F2 in there sounds weak, less powerful, but the F1 in neck sounds wonderful.
and this is the 3rd, the USAC streetwise, F2-C2-C2 combo in there is heaven sent.

Tags
dimarzio , evo , guitar pots , ibanez , steve vai

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode