Dimarzio HH wiring 5 way switch - Page 2 - Jemsite
Pickups & wiring Discussion about pickup types, replacements, recomendations, switching, wiring diagrams and sustainer systems for ANY guitar, JEMs included.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #16 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-02-2011, 02:23 PM
Banned

Reviews: 98
Re: Dimarzio HH wiring 5 way switch

That switch in the picture you posted is not the typical YM-50 switch. I'm pretty sure yours has a YM-50. Here is the diagram you need:
http://www.dimarzio.com/sites/defaul.../RG520-DiM.pdf
or this one (just remember that the DiMarzio black and white leads get connected together):

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-02-2011, 03:55 PM

Thanks for the diagram AlaskaBat. I just finished resoldering the pups based on your picture and the results are not the same as described at the bottom of the page. As it turns out however, I like the result better than what I had before.
Here's an image of how mine is wired now and the result. Since I can't upload images yet, you'll have to do it for me:

i211.photobucket.com/albums/bb186/slickrat18/Ricks-s570a.jpg

This config fixes the problem that was bugging me the most, which was the flat single coil sound I was getting out of Fred. Fred has balls again! Interestingly, when I switch to the fouth position (both pups on), I get a cool harmonic sound on very high notes. There's little sustain but it sounds kind of neat.

Thanks again,
Rick
post #18 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-05-2016, 06:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slickrat View Post
So not to create another post for a tired topic, I decided to reply to this one as it's related.
I bought a Dimarzio Fred to replace the stock INF2 bridge pickup in my S570DXQM. I'm planning on replacing the neck INF1 as well, but can't afford it yet. I've never liked the sound of the single coil (noisy) so I disconnected it. So I was looking to wire the 2 pups in a HH configuration. The 5-way switch is the stock "5P" Ibanez. I tried several different wiring methods all with strange results including this last one which I think I'm keeping for now. I do not have the 330pF cap on the vol pot as in the image. I can't post images yet so it's missing the http..

i211.photobucket.com/albums/bb186/slickrat18/S570DXQM-HH.jpg

I don't mind the "kill" action on the 2nd (or 4th depending which is 1) switch, it comes in handy for practices. What I do mind is when I test the Fred pup with a screwdriver, the back row closest to the bridge is much more sensative than the front and I don't think they are both firing to their fullest. Any ideas anyone?
Rick
Why is ther a kill action on the 2e position.
I followed this diagram, but it is no what i expected, is it because of the wrong 5-way switch?
post #19 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-09-2016, 10:42 PM

I just went through this with my 655, I ditched the single coil and wired up the 5way with same results as you. You need a switch that has 2502n written on it. Different internal circuitry than the usual 5 way. I swapped bridge and neck on the switch and now have neck, both pu inner coils, both full pu, bridge parallel, bridge series. Schiller make 5 different types of switches to do a wide variety of switching options,

Tags
coil split , dimarzio , schematic , wiring

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode