DiMarzio - Ibanez Wires - Jemsite
Pickups & wiring Discussion about pickup types, replacements, recomendations, switching, wiring diagrams and sustainer systems for ANY guitar, JEMs included.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-03-2004, 11:16 AM Thread Starter

DiMarzio - Ibanez Wires

i want to upgrade the bridge pickup of my sz520 with a dimarzio super distortion.
can anybody tell me which color of the ibanez wires correspond to the color o f the wires of the dimarzio pickup so i know on which pin i have to solder the wires of the new PU?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-03-2004, 12:38 PM

From looking at the diagram for the SZ520..

http://www.ibanez.com/wiring/wire.as...&w=SZ520QM

you should be able to wire it just as it currently wired...if it sounds out of phase switch the green and red wires...
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-22-2004, 04:03 PM

Doesn't work. I'm trying to install two Dimarzio's in my SZ320MH and it's not working out so far. First I connected the Dimarzio's just as the originals were. Sound was extremely thin. Just barely there. So I switched the green and red wires and now it's better but still very thin and on each humbucker one side is stronger than the other. If you touch a metal screwdriver to each side of the humbucker you can hear the difference. Anyway I will figure it out but it's not as simple as just following the original wiring.
It may end up being easier to completely re-wire the guitar.
post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-22-2004, 05:02 PM

Okay so it is prety much like the original wiring except...

With the Dimarzio's both white and black wires go together. With the original pickups one had black and white together and another had red and green together.
On each pickup the green goes to ground and the reds to the volume pots.
Everything is in phase and sounds good.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-24-2004, 09:09 AM Thread Starter

got my new super distortion today for my precious SZ520.
are the two coils exactly the same? i canīt decide in which direction i should install the humbucker. because the two coils look quite the same i donīt know if the one coil should face the bridge or the other....?
do you have to solder black and white toghether even if you want to keep the original switching?
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-24-2004, 12:24 PM

The black and white wires go togther. Even with the original wiring there is two wires on each pickup that go togther on the 3 way switch. Make those the black and white from your Dimarzio. Then the green goes to ground and red to volume pot.

I'm not sure how you tell which way to put the pickup if the two sides look the same. I would think the wires come from the correct side of the pickup to line up with the routes in the body.

You are going to notice a MAJOR difference.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-29-2004, 09:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CactusJack
got my new super distortion today for my precious SZ520.
are the two coils exactly the same? i canīt decide in which direction i should install the humbucker. because the two coils look quite the same i donīt know if the one coil should face the bridge or the other....?
do you have to solder black and white toghether even if you want to keep the original switching?
The orientation of the pickup will not matter in normal series wiring. If you plan on splitting the pickup at anytime, then the location of the coil that is on will make a slight difference. However, to me this would be your own preference. Personally, the factor that affects which way i turn the pickup is which side the wire comes out, so that wiring is easier.

The stock pickups on my rg550 (v1 + v2) had only 3 wires as opposed to dimarzio's 5--a hot connection (on the p/u selector) which was red, and then a black and a white, one to ground and one to the p/u selector for tapping the coil. If you are doing a clean swap, wire dimarzio red to the old hot connection, solder black and white together and then to the other spot on the selector switch, and then green and bare to ground. As already stated, red and green can be switched to reverse the phase.

Tags
bridge pickup , dimarzio pickup , dimarzio super distortion , super distortion , volume pots

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode