Dimarzio Illuminator Pickups - Jemsite
Pickups & wiring Discussion about pickup types, replacements, recomendations, switching, wiring diagrams and sustainer systems for ANY guitar, JEMs included.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 24 (permalink) Old 09-14-2013, 05:54 PM Thread Starter

Dimarzio Illuminator Pickups

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kjj-tLKvH5Q
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 (permalink) Old 09-14-2013, 05:59 PM

Re: Dimarzio Illuminator Pickups

nice! but I wish they would do a demo..not just played through his rig.
post #3 of 24 (permalink) Old 09-14-2013, 08:50 PM Thread Starter

Larry Dimarzio replyed to me;

Mertay Cicek
These pickups were designed for the new preamp right?

LarryDiMarzio
Hi, The pre amp is flat (no eq) it's on all the time and there is also has a boost circuit. The pickups are hi-impedance and don't requite a pre-amp.
Hope that helps,
Larry DiMarzio
post #4 of 24 (permalink) Old 09-15-2013, 03:38 AM

Now all the JP fans are gonna cream their pants and say these are better than the gravity storms. Just wait for the wild west to start about the newest pickups (hey, didnt that thread happen just recently? )
post #5 of 24 (permalink) Old 09-15-2013, 06:00 AM
Banned

Reviews: 64

Quote:
Originally Posted by MatiasTolkki View Post
Now all the JP fans are gonna cream their pants and say these are better than the gravity storms. Just wait for the wild west to start about the newest pickups (hey, didnt that thread happen just recently? )
WTH gravity storms have to do with Petrucci?
Dumb fans buy their Gods pups to play with modellers but those pups were created to match their amps better so they'll never have their Gods' tones, plus as so many believe tone is in the fingers, instead of buying their Gods' gear, they have to wait till we finally be able to clone fingers and wear them like gloves
post #6 of 24 (permalink) Old 09-15-2013, 08:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6fingers View Post
Dumb fans buy their Gods pups to play with modellers but those pups were created to match their amps better so they'll never have their Gods' tones, plus as so many believe tone is in the fingers, instead of buying their Gods' gear, they have to wait till we finally be able to clone fingers and wear them like gloves
It was meant as: Everyone bought the GS and said how awesome they were but now that JP has released his pups, the storms are going to be pushed aside because the "new" thing is out. Basically a jab at bandwagon jumpers.
post #7 of 24 (permalink) Old 09-16-2013, 07:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GUITARMAGEDDON View Post
nice! but I wish they would do a demo..not just played through his rig.
+1
JP sets the tone on his rig very different than most people do.
post #8 of 24 (permalink) Old 09-17-2013, 04:30 PM

Reviews: 6

in addition to that, this new pickup for every new album fashion is just a marketing thing, but people will buy these new pickups...

As fas as I'm concerned, I stick with my EVO2/AIR NORTON combo...
post #9 of 24 (permalink) Old 09-17-2013, 04:43 PM

Quote:
Jeez dude, no need for the fire and brimstone. People chase trends and want to try the newest gear. Whatever.

The video I saw of the 'Trooch demoing them had such awful sound that I couldn't tell what to think, but as far as I'm concerned I'll always think of John as an AN/SS guy - most of his classic tones were done with that setup, and I haven't liked his sound as much lately.

And before you ask, no, I don't use those either.
post #10 of 24 (permalink) Old 09-17-2013, 04:46 PM
Banned

Reviews: 64

Quote:
Originally Posted by satch_jr View Post
in addition to that, this new pickup for every new album fashion is just a marketing thing, but people will buy these new pickups...
Yes and no.
Famous players develop their pickups along with their rigs.
If crunchlab/liquifire were developed to match Mark V then YES this new one is a marketing thing if not, it'll sound different than them IF people use Mark V but the majority use modellers and those pups weren't developed to match modellers.
post #11 of 24 (permalink) Old 09-17-2013, 04:53 PM

Quote:
Yes and no.
Famous players develop their pickups along with their rigs.
If crunchlab/liquifire were developed to match Mark V then YES this new one is a marketing thing if not, it'll sound different than them IF people use Mark V but the majority use modellers and those pups weren't developed to match modellers.
They were developed to give a sound Petrucci likes, not to "match" a certain amp. He uses a large selection of Mesas - the V, certainly, but also Rectos, Stilettos, Lone Stars, IIC+s, and I think he's used a Transatlantic a bit lately. He also, incidently, had his Mesa rigs tone-matched in his AxeFX II and occasionally uses just that for smaller gigs, so they DO work with modelers.

Finding the right pickups for you is a matter of finding something that both sounds and, arguably most importantly, feels right through your amp and given the way you play. It may be a signature pickup (and one of my guitars has an AT1 in the bridge, which works beautifully for me because I play Mesas and dial them in fairly similar to Timmons and go after a similar sort of tone), it may not, but ultimately who's name is on it doesn't hugely matter as long as running through your rig it gives you the sound you want it to and responds well to your touch. It's unfortunately all a matter of trial and error, though to be fair knowing that you like similar gear and similar tones to an artist can help speed the search somewhat.
post #12 of 24 (permalink) Old 09-18-2013, 08:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drew View Post
They were developed to give a sound Petrucci likes, not to "match" a certain amp. He uses a large selection of Mesas - the V, certainly, but also Rectos, Stilettos, Lone Stars, IIC+s, and I think he's used a Transatlantic a bit lately. He also, incidently, had his Mesa rigs tone-matched in his AxeFX II and occasionally uses just that for smaller gigs, so they DO work with modelers.

Finding the right pickups for you is a matter of finding something that both sounds and, arguably most importantly, feels right through your amp and given the way you play. It may be a signature pickup (and one of my guitars has an AT1 in the bridge, which works beautifully for me because I play Mesas and dial them in fairly similar to Timmons and go after a similar sort of tone), it may not, but ultimately who's name is on it doesn't hugely matter as long as running through your rig it gives you the sound you want it to and responds well to your touch. It's unfortunately all a matter of trial and error, though to be fair knowing that you like similar gear and similar tones to an artist can help speed the search somewhat.

definitely true..!
post #13 of 24 (permalink) Old 09-18-2013, 08:09 AM Thread Starter

What is "matching to an amp" anyway? I mean I never noticed such a thing
post #14 of 24 (permalink) Old 09-18-2013, 09:05 AM

I looked over the specs of the 6 and 7 string versions.
They are not very different than other pickups Dimarzio already has on the market.

The 6 string bridge model has almost exactly the same EQ as the Mo Joe.
It has a ceramic magnet and they wound it hotter.

The 6 string neck version is almost the same as the Air Norton.
It has a ceramic magnet and they wound it almost exactly the same.

Ceramic magnets give off more presence and or treble.

The 7 string bridge looks like an Air Norton 7 wound hotter.

The 7 string neck looks like the Liquifire 7 to me; what's the difference???
post #15 of 24 (permalink) Old 09-18-2013, 09:34 AM
Super Moderator

Reviews: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by sebastian View Post
I looked over the specs of the 6 and 7 string versions.
They are not very different than other pickups Dimarzio already has on the market.

The 6 string bridge model has almost exactly the same EQ as the Mo Joe.
It has a ceramic magnet and they wound it hotter.

The 6 string neck version is almost the same as the Air Norton.
It has a ceramic magnet and they wound it almost exactly the same.

Ceramic magnets give off more presence and or treble.

The 7 string bridge looks like an Air Norton 7 wound hotter.

The 7 string neck looks like the Liquifire 7 to me; what's the difference???
It's the subtle differences that make them different pickups, the different between the illuminator 7 and the Liquifire 7 "seems" to me to be different resistances and different pole pieces, (two rows of hex screws vs a tradtional screw/slug arrangement). Liek you seem to suggest, everything else might be identical!

I can see why any company would want to market a popular players latest gear though, no matter how subtle the differences are compared to the last model. Why? Simply because it will sell...

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode