Dimarzio Liquifire & Evo 2 combo - anyone use it? - Jemsite
Pickups & wiring Discussion about pickup types, replacements, recomendations, switching, wiring diagrams and sustainer systems for ANY guitar, JEMs included.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-07-2013, 06:56 PM Thread Starter

Dimarzio Liquifire & Evo 2 combo - anyone use it?

I've got an RGR321EX (basswood), and I'm getting a new set of dimarzio pups.

I'm quite sold on the liquifire, but not sure about the crunch lab. I've heard good things about the evo 2, but I'm wondering if anyone has ever tried this combo?

I need humbuckers that are quite versatile and capable of doing drop tunings (if necessary). I currently have EMG zakk wyldes and I want something lower output.

Thanks for any help!

** I should also add that i was going to go for the air norton/tone zone combo, but heard the tone zone can be quite muddy. That's definitely what I don't want.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-07-2013, 09:04 PM

Re: Dimarzio Liquifire & Evo 2 combo - anyone use it?

This is the exact combo I have come to use in most of my Ibanez guitars. IMO they compliment each other very well and sound outstanding for anything from clean to bluesy to hard rock & metal sounds. I play mostly classic hard rock & metal styles (from Aerosmith to Randy Rhodes era Ozzy to Dream Theater). I play through a 1st gen 5150 and/or a modern Voodoo modded Mesa Dual Rec, plus a Mesa Mark V combo. So generally I'm doing pretty high gain stuff, but what I really love about these pups is that they're VERY responsive to guitar volume knob adjustments - they clean up beautifully for crystal clean chord work.

I like these pups in my alder and basswood bodied RG's & JEMs. For mahogany bodies I prefer an original EVO bridge and a Duncan Pearly Gates neck.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-26-2013, 10:49 PM

I can't comment on the Liquifire, but I had the Evo2 in an alder body RT for awhile and was really fond of it. It cut through nicely, did coil splits very well, was very articulate, cleaned up nicely with the volume rolled down, but pretty unforgiving. It really forces you to clean up your technique. It wasn't the right pickup for the guitar I had it in, but I'm not getting rid of it. I may end up putting it in a custom build later on, but I'll definitely hang on to it.
post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-27-2013, 08:11 AM

I have that exact combo in an RGT. The EVO 2 has a lot more clarity than the Tone Zone. The Liquifire is amazing, the EVO 2 is what I call "good for a modern bridge pickup". I feel like there's some sort of quest to make the highest power bridge pickup possible. This might be because that's what's best for modern metal? It might also be because you can't really improve on what's out there for the 80's sound? Most Dokken is going to be a Duncan JB and Lynch Mob stuff is going to be a Screamin' Demon.

It depends what you like. My two favorite bridge pickups are the PAF Pro and the FRED, which are similar pickups. So what I like is more of an 80's sound. The EVO 2 definitely has more presence and attack than the Crunch Lab (which I used to have in this guitar) but compared to the PAF Pro and FRED, the sound is a bit brittle in my opinion.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-27-2013, 01:51 PM Thread Starter

What about the combination of an air norton in the neck and a tone zone in the bridge?

What i'm looking for mostly is versatility. I'm currently running the zakk wylde EMG set up in my (basswood) ibanez and it's very one dimensional.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-27-2013, 02:25 PM

Reviews: 6

EVO2 and air norton is great too!
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-27-2013, 05:18 PM

Remember this, the higher the output, the more one dimensional the tone becomes.
Higher output, after a point, takes away the dynamic control.

I like pickups for six string guitars that have no more than 385ist on the Dimarzio scale.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-27-2013, 09:09 PM Thread Starter

That helps me a lot. Thank you sebastian!

Tags
dimarzio , evo 2 , liquifire , rgr321ex

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode