DiMarzio Mo' Joe (Higher output version of FRED) - Page 2 - Jemsite
Pickups & wiring Discussion about pickup types, replacements, recomendations, switching, wiring diagrams and sustainer systems for ANY guitar, JEMs included.

2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #16 of 48 (permalink) Old 01-02-2006, 03:47 AM Thread Starter

Re: DiMarzio Mo' Joe (Higher output version of FRED)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Screaming Solo
more of a classic rock type sound
Bridge - Air Zone (sounds like a fat PAF with more balls, but still keeps amazing clarity and will NOT get muddy. It also gets harmonics like a mofo!

Neck - Air Norton (warm and clear) or PAF Joe (bright and clear)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 48 (permalink) Old 01-02-2006, 11:02 AM
Super Moderator

Reviews: 1

I'm really looking forward to this! Anyone know the output figure for this pickup?
post #18 of 48 (permalink) Old 01-06-2006, 12:03 AM

Anyone knows when its out? I will try it probably
post #19 of 48 (permalink) Old 01-09-2006, 03:17 AM

I don't know when it'll be out yet but it's on their website under the humbuckers/medium output section. Has all the specs and everything except for a soundclip.

Last edited by RSVampire; 01-10-2006 at 03:40 PM.
post #20 of 48 (permalink) Old 01-13-2006, 05:54 AM

i was looking around over at joe satchies web sight..........and he said it will be out in March

dimarzio is now posting the specs on it too

Last edited by honky_tonk; 01-13-2006 at 07:09 AM.
post #21 of 48 (permalink) Old 01-13-2006, 08:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbojim
Anyone knows when its out? I will try it probably
Unfortunately, it's only 320 vs 305 for the FRED. I can't imagine that the difference is going to be noticeable with this new pickup. Even the EQ balance is almost identical to the FRED. I have no doubt that this is exactly what Joe asked for and he surely can tell the different with his perfect ears. They'll sell one to almost everyone who has a FRED (probably including me).
post #22 of 48 (permalink) Old 06-02-2006, 06:32 PM

does somebody try it actually?
post #23 of 48 (permalink) Old 06-03-2006, 05:05 AM

yes I almost don't believe that nobody on this forum has not bought or tried a Mo Joe yet. I'm also surprised that JimmyJ hasn't checked one out yet since he's the pickup video master and also owns a Fred for direct comparison.
post #24 of 48 (permalink) Old 06-04-2006, 08:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RSVampire
yes I almost don't believe that nobody on this forum has not bought or tried a Mo Joe yet. I'm also surprised that JimmyJ hasn't checked one out yet since he's the pickup video master and also owns a Fred for direct comparison.

you are right

i havent tried one of these yet, im just catching up with money, i just bought a Dimarzio Hs2, HS3 and a Dimarzio Chopper

I do have a guitar i can put the Mo Joe in, i just need a new neck, which will come first, so stay tuned...ill do a vid on my strat pickups too, they are so cool

-Jim
post #25 of 48 (permalink) Old 06-04-2006, 11:35 AM

sweet^^ I always like your videos JimmyJ..specailly because your awsome aussie accent! haha
post #26 of 48 (permalink) Old 06-05-2006, 12:19 PM

my bud bought one and just as promised by dimarzio it is a higher output verison of the fred only has even more nasty harmonics and growl
post #27 of 48 (permalink) Old 06-12-2006, 07:34 PM

bumpp
post #28 of 48 (permalink) Old 06-18-2006, 05:59 PM

well i finally broke down and decided to install the mo joe and paf joe dimarzios i bought about a month ago. i have an alder rt450 that had a fred and a paf pro and i was pretty unimpressed with both of them in the alder body (although i really dig that combo in basswood and mahogony). the fred was just too tame in that guitar and the paf pro was really plain and kind of muddy sounding. so i was hoping that the mo joe would add a little fire and the paf joe would be a little clearer and hopefully 'quackier'.

i must say...the mo joe is really awesome! much ballsier than i thought it would be, just really downright aggressive. the best way to describe it is that it's dimarzio's answer to seymour duncan's jb. output ratings aside (i think the mo joe is still supposedly lower than the jb), the mo joe is pretty loud. but dimarzio did an excellent job of retaining all of the great qualities of the fred, but just with more presence and output. the harmonics are all still there (and then some), the smooth high end and upper mids are there and a nice balanced low end. after playing it, i wondered how close it really sounds to a jb. luckily, my main guitar is also an alder rt450, but with a jb/'59 combo, so i was able to do an accurate comparison of the pickups. while the frequencies and output (seemingly) are similar, the jb is more compressed sounding and the low end is tighter. the mo joe has a spongier low end and sounds more 'airy' for lack of a better term. basically, it sounds bigger when you strum open chords. also, there is a noticeable 'chiff' on the pick attack of the mo joe, which totally sounds great imo. even with the high output, the mo joe is very clear sounding, even on high gain settings.

the paf joe is also a brilliant pickup. it has more high end than the paf pro and supposedly less output (although i couldn't really tell). the result is a very clear, glassy sounding neck pickup, which also has that same 'chiffy' pick attack. i would say it sounds pretty scooped, because the bass is boosted (almost boomy), but, like the mo joe, it's more spongy than tight. it's a joy to solo on. best way to describe the tone is somewhere between a paf and a single coil. split, it sounds great (i actually prefer the sound of the paf joe split instead of position 4, which has always been my preference for more single coil-ish tones).

so there's my review, this is really rivaling my main guitar with the duncans. the true test will be in band practice, so hopefully another update will follow soon.
post #29 of 48 (permalink) Old 08-01-2006, 12:38 AM

Anyone else tried this pickup? Not many reviews to be found...
post #30 of 48 (permalink) Old 08-01-2006, 09:01 AM

Didnt even know this existed and this is an old thread! Im behind in the times. ANyone tried this yet?

Tags
air norton , alder body , bridge pickup , dimarzio chopper , fixed bridge , fixed bridge model , mahogany body , neck pickup , paf joe , paf pro , parker fly , production model , seymour duncan , strat pickups , super distortion , virtual hot paf , virtual paf

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode