DiMarzio Mo' Joe (Higher output version of FRED) - Page 3 - Jemsite
Pickups & wiring Discussion about pickup types, replacements, recomendations, switching, wiring diagrams and sustainer systems for ANY guitar, JEMs included.

2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #31 of 48 (permalink) Old 08-01-2006, 10:16 AM

Re: DiMarzio Mo' Joe (Higher output version of FRED)

It's on my wishlist for that H-H-Saber I have...

Mo' Joe and PAF Joe in mahogany isn't a bad idea, right?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 48 (permalink) Old 08-01-2006, 10:40 AM

I have a Mo' Joe and PAF Joe I'm throwing in a guitar tonight.

As soon as I get it all together, I'll post a review.

P.S. Actually, probably not tonight, because tonight is Fried Chicken night, so sometime this week.
jim777 likes this.

Last edited by jaxadam; 08-01-2006 at 10:58 AM.
post #33 of 48 (permalink) Old 08-05-2006, 08:30 PM

does anybody know (other than the JS1200) what guitars Joe is using with the Mo Joe and the Paf Joe?
post #34 of 48 (permalink) Old 08-09-2006, 12:39 AM

Thanks for the review RASTACHILD. What kind of music do you play?
post #35 of 48 (permalink) Old 08-10-2006, 12:37 PM

Hi Guys

I'm a newbie here and need some help if that's OK?

Due to the nightmare of nightmares for guitarist I now need to use as light a weight guitar as possible - I have prolapsed a disc in my neck and have not been able to play over the last year or so! I don't like and can't afford the Parker Fly, so an S series is about as lite as anything out there. I have my old trusty fixed bridge SF470 but I always hated the stock pickups - the guitar sounded so dark and recessed. Anyway, as I play fusion etc I installed some of those Carvin Holdsworth pickups. They are excellent but wrong for this guitar.

I am after what i would call a medium to hot fusion sound that retains a bit of that old classic rock feel. For those who are into this stuff I would equate it to the early Holdsworth sound on the Bundles album when he was in Soft Machine? I want an open sound with definition but not too bright or modern metal sounding.

I have owned Duncans but want to go Di Marzio this time. Knowing the guitar (it is the slimline S shape with a mahogany body and fixed bridge) can you guys suggest a suitable combination - I have been interested in the discussion here about the Joe related pickups? I have also wondered about the Breed looking at the Di M site - would you say that it is too modern metal though? Also, I have a soft spot for early Al Di Meola and thus am thinking about Super Distortions but would you say these are too hot?

I want that open sound with a lot of harmonics, you know, that 3-D soundstage rather than the more distant sounding effect you got with more modern metal pickups (although I think the classic PAF pups might be too low powered)? Can you suggest a suitable single coil to go with whatever humbucker combination you put forward?

Also, I am seeking a mint FGM200 fixed bridge model - can anyone help? I am based in the UK but am prepared buy from the States. I am desperate to start playing again and this would be the kick start I need. Maybe you could spread the word if you do not think I have posted this in the right topic?

Thanks in advance,

Enrico
post #36 of 48 (permalink) Old 08-11-2006, 12:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by enfetish View Post
Hi Guys

I'm a newbie here and need some help if that's OK?

Due to the nightmare of nightmares for guitarist I now need to use as light a weight guitar as possible - I have prolapsed a disc in my neck and have not been able to play over the last year or so! I don't like and can't afford the Parker Fly, so an S series is about as lite as anything out there. I have my old trusty fixed bridge SF470 but I always hated the stock pickups - the guitar sounded so dark and recessed. Anyway, as I play fusion etc I installed some of those Carvin Holdsworth pickups. They are excellent but wrong for this guitar.

I am after what i would call a medium to hot fusion sound that retains a bit of that old classic rock feel. For those who are into this stuff I would equate it to the early Holdsworth sound on the Bundles album when he was in Soft Machine? I want an open sound with definition but not too bright or modern metal sounding.

I have owned Duncans but want to go Di Marzio this time. Knowing the guitar (it is the slimline S shape with a mahogany body and fixed bridge) can you guys suggest a suitable combination - I have been interested in the discussion here about the Joe related pickups? I have also wondered about the Breed looking at the Di M site - would you say that it is too modern metal though? Also, I have a soft spot for early Al Di Meola and thus am thinking about Super Distortions but would you say these are too hot?

I want that open sound with a lot of harmonics, you know, that 3-D soundstage rather than the more distant sounding effect you got with more modern metal pickups (although I think the classic PAF pups might be too low powered)? Can you suggest a suitable single coil to go with whatever humbucker combination you put forward?

Also, I am seeking a mint FGM200 fixed bridge model - can anyone help? I am based in the UK but am prepared buy from the States. I am desperate to start playing again and this would be the kick start I need. Maybe you could spread the word if you do not think I have posted this in the right topic?

Thanks in advance,

Enrico
Hello and welcome.

That's a lot of questions! FYI, you might be better to start a thread for each of your questions - you'll probably get more replies to that. (I'd be interested to see what responses you get, since it sounds like you and I are looking for similar tones.)

As a note - Dimarzio still has the Al Di Meola humbuckers available as special order. They might be worth looking into if you like his tone. I have the bridge and I'd say it's in between a high output and vintage pickup. Not as loose or flubby as the vintage pickups sound to me, not as shrill, buzzy, or cold as high outputs tend to sound to me. Warm, smooth, solid, but "alive" is how I would describe it. There's a better review of it on this site if you do a search.
post #37 of 48 (permalink) Old 08-12-2006, 12:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by satchboogeyman View Post
Thanks for the review RASTACHILD. What kind of music do you play?
i do instrumental stuff mainly, but i've been trying to find the right people for a band project (with vocals) for ages. i'm jamming with a band right now, but it's not really my ideal situation. however, you can check my instrumental tunes out on www.myspace.com/funkymuthasproductions

i did manage to try the mo joe/paf joe guitar out in a practice a few weeks back. it sounded pretty good, but i guess i'm still a duncan guy at heart cause i still preferred the jb/'59 guitar.
post #38 of 48 (permalink) Old 08-15-2006, 01:16 AM

Thanks Rasta,

I'll check the site out later when I have more time. I was trying to get an idea of what you exspected out of the pickups.
post #39 of 48 (permalink) Old 09-13-2006, 09:35 AM

I'm interessed in medium out put DM.
I was about to buy a air norton+ air classic combo for my guitar.
But I'm french and pickups are very expensive here...
I' will be in us in one month so i will wait some more.

I was interessed in pickups that do great for instrumental rock but who can do classic rock and pop nicely (so not too over the top pickups).
I'm interessed by buy any combinaison of this pick ups :
paf joe, airclassic (bridge i neck), mo joe, breed neck, paf pro, virtual hot paf, virtual paf (bridge in neck) and air norton.

I 've seen that some members (other than Rastachild) have try the mo joe paf joe combo, i'm interested in some more incomes

So big up for me lol

Last edited by Laionel; 09-13-2006 at 09:40 AM.
post #40 of 48 (permalink) Old 01-15-2007, 06:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaxadam View Post
I have a Mo' Joe and PAF Joe I'm throwing in a guitar tonight.

As soon as I get it all together, I'll post a review.

P.S. Actually, probably not tonight, because tonight is Fried Chicken night, so sometime this week.
Could you share with us (or at least with me ) what you think about this combo?
post #41 of 48 (permalink) Old 01-15-2007, 06:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laionel View Post
Could you share with us (or at least with me ) what you think about this combo?
It's a pretty good combo. They both pair up very well together.

The PAF Joe is an awesome neck pickup.

The Mo' Joe is a pretty good bridge pickup, but maybe a little tubular for my tastes. It definitely is a good sounding pickup, but I haven't really explored it much yet as I have really only played it through one amp here.

It is a really great combo, and quite different than some of the other stuff I have here, so it's pretty cool.
post #42 of 48 (permalink) Old 01-16-2007, 12:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyGuitarCA View Post
According to DiMarzio's website, the new pickup balances better with the PAF Joe.
actually joe wanted a new improved version fred for his peavy JSX amp
I know satch and we talk over the phone whenever he gets the time
and he still likes the fred but wanted it more custom tailored for his higher gain JSX peavey or at least thats what he told me.
post #43 of 48 (permalink) Old 05-02-2008, 09:00 PM

has anyone noticed on the js model there including the fred and paf joe
but not the mo joe.....im wondering if joe is using it

i for one love the fred but dont care for the mo joe
post #44 of 48 (permalink) Old 12-26-2019, 06:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyGuitarCA View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by jra2217
the paf joe is already in his current production models.

http://www.ibanez.com/guitars/guitar.asp?model=JS1200

a fred with more power is going to be freaking swweeet.
Sweet is the word! The Fred is one of the few pickups that make me like Basswood bodied guitars. Tighens up that wierd low end and makes the guitar sound ALIVE.

No offense to any basswood freaks!!!

Tone wood is not a thing. It’s about how thick or thin your guitar body is.
On top of that wood is not magnetic, pickups pick up the strings because the strings interfere with the magnetic field. Wood type has zero effect on tone.
post #45 of 48 (permalink) Old 12-29-2019, 11:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLead View Post

Tone wood is not a thing. Itís about how thick or thin your guitar body is.
On top of that wood is not magnetic, pickups pick up the strings because the strings interfere with the magnetic field. Wood type has zero effect on tone.
You resurrected a thread without an update in 11 years to say "wood has no affect on tone"? Come on man, don't be a troll. Seriously - don't be a troll.

jim

Tags
air norton , alder body , bridge pickup , dimarzio chopper , fixed bridge , fixed bridge model , mahogany body , neck pickup , paf joe , paf pro , parker fly , production model , seymour duncan , strat pickups , super distortion , virtual hot paf , virtual paf

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode