Dimarzio Pickup Orientation - Jemsite
Pickups & wiring Discussion about pickup types, replacements, recomendations, switching, wiring diagrams and sustainer systems for ANY guitar, JEMs included.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 28 (permalink) Old 03-29-2014, 03:52 PM Thread Starter

Dimarzio Pickup Orientation

I'm confused about the orientation of Dimarzios and I cannot find a straightforward answer anywhere on the web. I know Dimarzio's FAQ states that the physical orientation of the pickup has no "right or wrong direction" and that it is your "preference" , but I seriously would like a more straightforward answer because both directions sound good to me for my Evo2, so I'd rather just pick the orientation that it was designed for (it's some weird OCD-like thing too where it just bothers me that I don't know).

My Dimarzio Evo2 and Breed have adjustable coils on both coils so I can''t judge based on that. I can judge only on the cable exit on the back of the pickup. And both pickups do sound different when flipped around. Please, for the love of god, can someone give me a straightforward answer. Does the cable exit of a bridge pickup face the bridge or headstock???? This annoys me so much that I'm definitely going to buy Seymour Duncans next time since I know which direction they're supposed to go based on the name (I'm really sorry dimarzio)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 28 (permalink) Old 03-29-2014, 05:03 PM

Reviews: 120
Re: Dimarzio Pickup Orientation

Seriously, you're getting that wound up about this so much? Just install them the same way you would the Duncans, problem solved.
post #3 of 28 (permalink) Old 03-29-2014, 05:30 PM

I always put pickups in with the wires coming out of the bottom right corner no matter what. I thought that's the way all pickups are designed, wires come out closest to the controls. I have never, in my 25 years of playing, opened up a guitar and seen the cables any other way.
post #4 of 28 (permalink) Old 03-29-2014, 05:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GUITARMAGEDDON View Post
I always put pickups in with the wires coming out of the bottom right corner no matter what. I thought that's the way all pickups are designed, wires come out closest to the controls. I have never, in my 25 years of playing, opened up a guitar and seen the cables any other way.
I always install the bridge this way, but I will sometimes flip neck pickups so the poles are on the side I want or if it's a zebra so the colors are going the way I want them too... The change in sound is usually so slight it doesn't really matter to me on the neck pickup...
post #5 of 28 (permalink) Old 03-29-2014, 05:40 PM

Reviews: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by AttackConquer View Post
I'm confused about the orientation of Dimarzios and I cannot find a straightforward answer anywhere on the web. I know Dimarzio's FAQ states that the physical orientation of the pickup has no "right or wrong direction" and that it is your "preference" , but I seriously would like a more straightforward answer because both directions sound good to me for my Evo2, so I'd rather just pick the orientation that it was designed for (it's some weird OCD-like thing too where it just bothers me that I don't know).

My Dimarzio Evo2 and Breed have adjustable coils on both coils so I can''t judge based on that. I can judge only on the cable exit on the back of the pickup. And both pickups do sound different when flipped around. Please, for the love of god, can someone give me a straightforward answer. Does the cable exit of a bridge pickup face the bridge or headstock???? This annoys me so much that I'm definitely going to buy Seymour Duncans next time since I know which direction they're supposed to go based on the name (I'm really sorry dimarzio)
You already have the straight forward answer right from DiMarzio. Both directions are correct and the way they are designed to be used.

You say both directions sound different. The direction that sounds better to you is the definitively correct direction for you and your guitar.

Seriously, does it matter if the peanut butter is on top of the jelly or below it??

DiMarzio gave you a pickup with tonal options. It's like getting two pickups in one box. pick the one you like most and go with it.
post #6 of 28 (permalink) Old 03-29-2014, 06:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RGTFanatic View Post
Seriously, does it matter if the peanut butter is on top of the jelly or below it??
Yes, it does. Jelly on the bottom piece of bread so gravity keeps it from falling off when you put the two pieces together.
post #7 of 28 (permalink) Old 03-30-2014, 04:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GUITARMAGEDDON View Post
Jems and H-S-H RGs with Dimarzio's stock have the neck pickup rotated from the factory.

Breeds don't have asymmetrical coils, so really it doesn't matter unless you're coil-tapping and combining with other pickups.
post #8 of 28 (permalink) Old 03-30-2014, 06:26 AM

Dimarzio told me that some of there pickups have the same coils on both sides so it doesn't matter which way you install them.
Other pickups they offer like the Crunch Lab have different coils on each side.
For example, if you flip a CL you'll get two different tones.
If you flip an EVO you won't.

The other factor is coil splitting like toshiro mentioned.
H-S-H configurations with coil splitting want the coil closest to the single coil to be on in the humbuckers in positions two and four.
That's why the neck pickup is flipped with the wires coming out towards the bass side of the guitar.

In a two humbucker guitar they wires go towards the treble side of the guitar on both pickups.
post #9 of 28 (permalink) Old 03-30-2014, 10:20 AM

I noticed this while going through JS wiring diagrams for a build I'm working on now as well. Both on JS1200 and JS1000 wiring diagrams the neck pickup is labeled "reversed" and the wiring harness comes out from the "wrong" side of the base plate. (I don't own a JS1000, nor JS1200, so I can't verify if they match the wiring diagram physically though)

When I looked for it on Dimarzio FAQ, though, PAF Joe and PAF Pro are not in the list of "slightly different depending on installation orientation" but the list might be of interest to the OP.

post #10 of 28 (permalink) Old 03-30-2014, 12:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kissTheApex View Post
I noticed this while going through JS wiring diagrams for a build I'm working on now as well. Both on JS1200 and JS1000 wiring diagrams the neck pickup is labeled "reversed" and the wiring harness comes out from the "wrong" side of the base plate. (I don't own a JS1000, nor JS1200, so I can't verify if they match the wiring diagram physically though)

When I looked for it on Dimarzio FAQ, though, PAF Joe and PAF Pro are not in the list of "slightly different depending on installation orientation" but the list might be of interest to the OP.
The neck pickup is reversed so the inside coils are on when tapped...
post #11 of 28 (permalink) Old 03-30-2014, 04:01 PM

If you are really serious about it, there are a couple of ways to check the position. First is to use the coil tap (black and white to ground) and test which coil is still on. You probably want this coil to be towards the middle of the guitar body for both pickups, as it works best on most Ibanez guitars. This is also the way the pickups supposed to be.

Second way is that (at least on my Dimario's) it states which side is F= forward=north on the the pickup bottom plate. This should be forward towards the headstock.

Note that depending on your pickup selection and orientation (bridge, neck) this might get the dual humbucker mode sound different too.
post #12 of 28 (permalink) Old 03-30-2014, 10:05 PM

the orientation does matter with some pickups. Straight from dimarzio.com

Does it matter which direction I install my pickup?

Most humbuckers are symmetrical and their sound does not change at all when installed backwards. Humbuckers that are not mentioned in this FAQ sound the same when installed in either direction.

Some humbuckers have a distinctly different sound if you turn them around. There is no right or wrong installation direction. The Bluesbucker® is brighter-sounding with the adjustable screw coil toward the bridge. The D Sonic™ and Crunch Lab™ models (6 and 7 string) and the MegaDrive™ are brighter-sounding with the solid bar coil toward the bridge. The Steve’s Special™ and Blaze™ Bridge model are brighter-sounding with the cable exit side toward the bridge.

Some humbuckers have just a slightly different sound if you flip them to the opposite direction. There is no right or wrong orientation, but it’s a matter of preference for such a subtle difference, if you can hear the difference at all. Models that sound slightly brighter with the cable exit toward the bridge include:

Blaze™ Neck
D Activator™ Bridge
D Activator™ Neck
Evo 2™
Evolution® 7
Evolution® Bridge
Evolution® Neck
FRED®
Mo' Joe™
Virtual P-90™

Models that sound slightly brighter with the cable exit toward the neck include:

Air Norton®
Air Norton® 7
Air Zone™
DLX Plus™ Neck
Humbucker from Hell™
LiquiFire™
Norton®
Tone Zone®
Tone Zone® 7

Single-coil size humbuckers with side by side coils have coils that are so close together that reversing the installation direction does not have an audible effect on the sound.

there you go.

Quote:
Second way is that (at least on my Dimario's) it states which side is F= forward=north on the the pickup bottom plate. This should be forward towards the headstock.
The F on the base plate means that the pickup is F-spaced and is not an indication of how it "should" be installed. It simply means that the pickup has a larger space between pole pieces in order accommodate a wider string spacing like that found on some fender and floyd rose equipped guitars.
post #13 of 28 (permalink) Old 03-31-2014, 03:30 AM

Ha cool did not know that, thought F was forward. Anyway it did match for the tone zone
post #14 of 28 (permalink) Old 04-01-2014, 07:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swirltop View Post
The neck pickup is reversed so the inside coils are on when tapped...
aaah.. Now it makes sense... thanks
post #15 of 28 (permalink) Old 04-01-2014, 10:12 AM

Reviews: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by j.arledge View Post
There is no right or wrong orientation, but it’s a matter of preference for such a subtle difference, if you can hear the difference at all.

NUFF said........

Tags
dimarzio , pickup

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode