Dimarzio pickups in RG550 Genesis - Jemsite
Pickups & wiring Discussion about pickup types, replacements, recomendations, switching, wiring diagrams and sustainer systems for ANY guitar, JEMs included.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 2 (permalink) Old 06-15-2019, 04:46 PM Thread Starter

Dimarzio pickups in RG550 Genesis

Hi

I have recently bought a new RG550 genesis and am changing the pickups to a Dmz Super distortion and a paf pro and leaving the single coil

When removing the old V7 and V8 there were only 3 wires white red and black. Black was ground - white seems to be the hot and red the coil tap as the readings on my multi meter have the red wire at half the value of the white.

I wired in the new pickups green and bare to ground red to hot and black /white as tap but I am getting a horrible sound in position 2 very tinny and not useable - position 4 seems ok

I have then removed the tap wires on the bridge pickup but the sound is still the same in position 2

I then swapped the wiring on the middle pickup now position 2 sounds ok and position 4 sound bad

Any one got any suggestions??

Thanks

Last edited by ryanboy2004; 06-15-2019 at 05:08 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 (permalink) Old 06-17-2019, 12:04 AM

It's a phase issue. In position 2 & 4, it splits the humbuckers into one coil. One coil will always be out of phase with the middle pickup even with a reverse wound/polarity middle pickup. If it was me I would reverse the wiring back to original and either flip the bridge pickup mounting or reverse the wiring. Black as hot and red as ground.

Just got done doing the same with my RG.

Tags
dimarzio wiring

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode