DiMarzio pole piece colours - Jemsite
Pickups & wiring Discussion about pickup types, replacements, recomendations, switching, wiring diagrams and sustainer systems for ANY guitar, JEMs included.

1Likes
  • 1 Post By LonePhantom

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 06-21-2020, 10:54 AM Thread Starter

Question DiMarzio pole piece colours

Both of my RG2550Zs have nickel hex pole pieces in the humbuckers and cosmo pole pieces in the middle single-coil (DiMarzio/IBZ set). It doesn't look bad, mainly thanks to the small surface area of the hex pieces making it barely noticeable unless you're looking for it. It seems a strange decision by Ibanez / DiMarzio to not fit all nickel or all cosmo though (cosmo would match the rest of the hardware and pick-guard).

I had noticed this before, but never gave it much thought until I started looking into replacing pickups. I'm considering putting a set of white Evolutions in my Galaxy White RG. Ideally, I'd like all three pickups to have cosmo pole pieces, but this doesn't appear to be an option for any of them. Worse still, UK dealers only seem to stock humbuckers with black or gold (neither would look right in this guitar) and single-coil with nickel pole pieces.

I assume it's fairly straightforward to replace the pole pieces, but does anyone know whether it's possible to buy replacement pole pieces in cosmo finish please?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20200529_133057.jpg (3.88 MB, 32 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 06-22-2020, 10:15 PM

Reviews: 120
Re: DiMarzio pole piece colours

I don't think the pole pieces on your singles are actually cosmo coated, they'll just be the colour of the magnets.
Neon_Knight_ likes this.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 06-23-2020, 02:52 PM Thread Starter

Re: DiMarzio pole piece colours

Thanks, that would make sense! I hadn't realised the poles were the magnets, unlike in a humbucker...have looked up some diagrams now.

The poles of the single-coil Dimarzio/IBZ in my S-series are a lighter nickel/steel colour, but according to the 'Ibanez Wiki' RGs have ceramic single-coils and S-series have alnico, so I guess that explains the difference in colour.

Looks like I need to choose from black/nickel/gold then...
post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 07-01-2020, 01:54 PM

Is your issue with the single coil not matching..? Cause at that point they are also not hex bolts.

I would say just ignore it. I know that isn't a great answer but there really isn't much to be done.

I have however in the past taken a dark silver nail polish and coated screws on a guitar to change them from black to Cosmo.
Maybe able to do something like that.

20200529_183750_1593625688336.jpg

I did the same thing to my invaders cause they had black poles. I carefully backed them out, put them in a drill and spun them against 0000 steel wool till the black polished off and made a Cosmo chrome. Then sealed them in a super thin coat of the dark silver nail polish and buffed with compound.

The only screws I didn't do where the night adjustment screws for the pickup.

Every other piece of metal is Cosmo on this guitar.

It was Alot easier to start with black screw and make it Cosmo, you would be starting with chrome.

But any bit of color on a silver metal goes a long way.

Who knows, maybe even sealing the top may even protect it from rust longer lol.

Tags
cosmo , pole pieces; dimarzio

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode