DiMarzio question - Jemsite
Pickups & wiring Discussion about pickup types, replacements, recomendations, switching, wiring diagrams and sustainer systems for ANY guitar, JEMs included.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 12-06-2004, 08:53 AM Thread Starter

DiMarzio question

Just occured to me that I've been reading on how the DiMarzio 7 string pickups are made with various mA ratings, output and magnetics. The thing that just dawned on me is: Are the magnets different from one end of the pickup to the other. What I need to know, is is there actually a Bass end and treble on these? If so, how do you know? I have always assumed that by default the end the wiring came into was the treble side. Normally when I swap out pickups I just copy the way the pickups were in previously. I have no looked at an old picture of my 1527 with stock pickups and noticed that the polls were opposing one another.

<neck
o x x o
o x x o
o x x o
o x x o
o x x o
o x x o
o x x o ( x's being the allen head or screw polls)

I since put in TZ7 and AN7, they are:

< neck
o x o x
o x o x
o x o x
o x o x
o x o x
o x o x
o x o x

I am putting Blaze (neck) and Blaze custom ( bridge ) in my other 1527. This one has no pickups in it,,, so I have no reference, and being that both Blaze's have all Allen head polls,,,, I'm left totally wondering what to do.

Please share with me your knowledge on this.

~A
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 12-06-2004, 11:25 AM

This may be over simplification, But I think If the protruding Wire Is pointing towards the floor, you should be okay.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 12-06-2004, 11:51 AM

Actualy it depends on the pickups. Some make little difference and some make a HUGH difference depening on which way they point. I just reversed the Dimarzio virtual paf bridge pickup in my SZ and I like it way more this way.

From Dimarzio's web site..

Quote:
Most humbuckers are symmetrical and their sound does not change at all when installed backwards, but some have a slightly different sound if you install them in the opposite direction from normal. It’s not a matter of right or wrong, but a matter of taste for such a subtle difference, if you can hear the difference at all. Those models include the Air Norton™, Air Zone™, Evolution® neck, bridge and 7-string, FRED®, Humbucker from Hell™, DLX Plus™ neck and bridge models, Virtual P-90™, Blaze™ neck and bridge models and Tone Zone 7™.

The Steve’s Special™, the Bluesbucker® and the MegaDrive™ have distinctly different sounds if you turn them around, and there is no ‘right’ installation direction. The Bluesbucker® is brighter-sounding with the adjustable screw coil towards the bridge, while the MegaDrive™ is brighter-sounding with the adjustable screw coil towards the neck. The Steve’s Special™ is brighter-sounding if the coil on the pickup’s cable exit side is toward the bridge.
post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 12-06-2004, 07:06 PM Thread Starter

Right on thanks guys. I spoke with DiMarzio and got a good answer. Much like shown above the pickups in question can be flipped around and show some difference sonically. I posed the question here first due to wealth of knowledge on this site, and that you guys actually play and give true product test. Not that DiMarzio is not be forth right. It's just nice hear from players that are probably as much if not more obsessive over tone than I am.

~A

Tags
air norton , bridge pickup , dimarzio virtual paf , string pickup , string pickups , tone zone , virtual paf

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode