Dimarzio rail pickup for neck position - Jemsite
Pickups & wiring Discussion about pickup types, replacements, recomendations, switching, wiring diagrams and sustainer systems for ANY guitar, JEMs included.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 04-09-2009, 03:18 AM Thread Starter

Reviews: 12
Dimarzio rail pickup for neck position

So I've had this Fast Track 1 in my RG760 since I got 'em years ago (i know the pup itself was made in the early 90s). I want to upgrade this pup into something more "fluid" yet loud enough to match an X2N in the bridge. So far, I've narrowed my selection down to a Pro Track or an Air Norton S or something to that extent. I've read a TZ in the neck works well on some guitars but how about a TZ S in the neck position? I've even considered a BC-1 since Dimarzio describes it as a modded Air Norton S suited for hi-gain... perhaps the BC-2 works the same way as well?
I've recently tuned the axe to E standard. What would be the better choice? Any suggestions other than the above stated?

Reg
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 04-09-2009, 05:52 AM

Reviews: 1
Re: Dimarzio rail pickup for neck position

I've had great luck with the Dimarzio Chopper in the neck position. It gives me that fluid, bubbly Yngwie-esque tone. It's bright and articulate but has enough oomph to kick the amp. I go against the grain by disliking darker sounding neck pickups like all the ones you mentioned. I like a brighter neck pickup with less bass and mids than my bridge pickup. The way I figure it, the pickup is already going to sound rounder because it's in the neck position. BTW, I have tried an Air Norton and a Tone Zone (straight humbucker versions) in the neck position and I didn't like either of them.

As far as matching up with an X2N, it's a little lower in output than the other pickups you've mentioned but not much (260 mV). I'm using the Chopper with the Tone Zone but I generally don't worry about balancing volume between the bridge and neck pickup because with the natural compression of distortion does that for me.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 04-09-2009, 01:26 PM Thread Starter

Reviews: 12

I did consider the Chopper... the clips on the Dimarzio site ain't too bad plus I think andy timmons has it on his axe. I've read the Pro Track is like a single coil version of a Paf Pro (which is definitely my reference neck pup) and if that's the case, I wouldn't mind checking it out. I did have an Air Norton a while ago and I didn't quite like it on an S as it sounded very nasal, kinda like talking while pinching your nose. Then again, I tried out a 27fret Xiphos the other time which came with an Air Norton S to match with a D-Activator bridge and that combo sounded pretty good... figured an Air Norton S should well with an X2N.
Not really concerned with balancing volume differences when it comes to S-S-H setup's, more concerned with sustain/drive between the bridge and neck positions. I love most of my neck pups on my other axes (mostly bright pups: D-activator neck, Paf Pro, Breed, and a BKP Cold Sweat) and my RG760 is being left out cause the Fast Track 1 in the neck somehow lacks sustain and sensitivity to dynamics... seems like I have to pick harder when I play fast runs.
Hopefully the Chopper resolves that...

Reg
post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 04-09-2009, 02:33 PM

Reviews: 1

I'm pretty sensitive about neck pickup output as well. The Chopper works for me (for a single coil neck pup) but if it's a humbucker, I go for the PAF Joe.

Tags
air norton s , bc-1 , fast track 1 , pro track , tone zone s

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode