Dimarzio in RG170 problem! Please Help!! - Jemsite
Pickups & wiring Discussion about pickup types, replacements, recomendations, switching, wiring diagrams and sustainer systems for ANY guitar, JEMs included.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 06-11-2005, 11:37 AM Thread Starter

Dimarzio in RG170 problem! Please Help!!

Hi all,

I have just discovered this site recently and I am VERY impressed with the community here. Hoping to get some answers, here is my problem:

I own an RG170, cheapo guitar but feels good to me. Thought new pickup in the bridge might do the trick to get the sound right. Problem is the Powersound pickups in the guitar are not wired the same way that the diagram from www.ibanez.com says they should be wired. My Ibanez has 4 conductor wiring which is confusing cause it is only meant to have two or three acording to the diagrams??

So here is how the powersound is currently wired.

Green - soldered to pickup switch on the lug that is closest to the guitar neck

Red and White - soldered to pickup switch on the lug that is third last from the opposite end (ie. third last from the bridge end of guitar).

black - soldered to the back of a pot (ground?)

bare - soldered to back of same pot (volume) so is ground?

OK, so what does all this mean? Does anyone know how this thing has been wired up??

I have bought a Dimarzio Steve's Special pickup. How should this be wired to this guitar. That is, what wires on the Steve's Special go to what wires of the Ibanez (or powersound)??

Also, is there any reason (sound-wise) why I can't just chop of the old pick up and solder the new one to the end of the wires that are left over??

Also, as a side question my ibanez is a "Gio" model or something apparantly - has it written on the headstock. What does that mean?

Thanks for any help because I am really lost. I am a proficient solderer and understand electronics to some degree but don't understand what is going on with the wiring (but I have learnt from these forums that stock pickup wiring can be very inconsistent across revisions).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 06-11-2005, 11:34 PM

Re: Dimarzio in RG170 problem! Please Help!!

Hi Vidar

Welcome!

If you do a forum search, you'll find tons of threads on the same topic. Anyway, for Dimarzio pups it's:

- Red: where the Powersound green is
- Black and white: soldered together, and where the Powersound red & white is (that's the coil split)
- Green and bare: back of pot (ground)

I think the Gio series is the budget line (made in China or Indonesia, I think)

You're right, if you leave the old wires and solder the new pup's wires to them, soldering is a breeze. That's what I do and I haven't noticed a difference in sound
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 06-12-2005, 07:40 AM Thread Starter

Smile Re: Dimarzio in RG170 problem! Please Help!!

Thanks for all the help AirGuitarHero! I really appreciate it.

I did do a search on the forums but couldn't find any information on my specific question, so thanks for your input.

As a follow up, what exactly is the coil-split you mentioned? Is this so when the switch is in the centre position it will be on at the same time as the neck pickup?

thanks again.
post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 06-12-2005, 09:06 AM

Re: Dimarzio in RG170 problem! Please Help!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vidar

As a follow up, what exactly is the coil-split you mentioned? Is this so when the switch is in the centre position it will be on at the same time as the neck pickup?
Split coil is when you use only one of the coils in the humbucker. Usually, with most 5-way switches, the humbuckers are split in positions 2 and 4 and wired in parallel with the middle single coil. I think there should be some wiring diagrams in the tech section of this site. That will give you a better idea (better than my explanations, at any rate)

Tags
coil split , dimarzio pups , dimarzio steve , neck pickup , pickup switch , pickup wiring , powersound pickups , wiring diagram

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode