Dimarzio Single Coil Pickups! - Jemsite
Pickups & wiring Discussion about pickup types, replacements, recomendations, switching, wiring diagrams and sustainer systems for ANY guitar, JEMs included.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-17-2008, 01:56 AM Thread Starter

Dimarzio Single Coil Pickups!

i was planning to get the hs-3/yjm/yjm set on my 57 Ri strat , but after reading certain reviews on the hs-3 and yjm set i was abit turned off but the reviews saying on dry the tone is and is lower output then the stock fender pickups.

so after going after the dimarzio page i saw the dimarzio VV solo . anyone tried the VV solo , or has anything to say about the hs-3/yjm/yjm set?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-17-2008, 08:49 AM

Re: Dimarzio Single Coil Pickups!

what are you looking to get out of these pickups, tonewise? me personally, i like the VV blues from dimarzio. for my strats in general, i use fender 57/62 neck and mid with a duncan hotrail in the bridge with a push/pull to to coil tap the hotrail.

rich
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-17-2008, 10:30 AM Thread Starter

i like a clear shred tone , but yet still retains that fender neck tone . i'am using a ac booster to boost my distortion btw
post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-17-2008, 10:56 AM

Well if you want shred strat tone, then the HS-3/YJM/YJM set is what you're going to want.

BUT I would not suggest putting shred pickups into a '57 reissue, if you want to mod a strat get one of the new American Standards, they're even routed for H-S-H pickup configurations (among other features) for people who want to mod the heck out of them.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-17-2008, 12:24 PM Thread Starter

i cant afford to get another guitar
plus i perfer V necks and nitro finishes
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-17-2008, 05:17 PM

for straight shred tone out of a strat, i would get the fast track 1 or chopper in the neck and mid and either a TZ-s or fast track 2 for the bridge. the hs series(including the yjm) has so little output. even less than a stock fender single coil.

rich
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-18-2008, 02:09 AM Thread Starter

hey rich,
wad are u're thought on the new vitural solo? how is it compared to the oldeer VV solo?
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-18-2008, 07:10 AM

never used the VV solo pickups. have been curious to try them, but i am too much in love with my 57/62's and hot rail combo, that i have loaded all of my strats with them. the only oddball is my robin ranger(which is a cross between a 50's and 60's strat) which has rio grande vintage tallboys and a hot rail.

rich
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-18-2008, 07:12 AM

Did somebody tries the VV54 (now 54pro) pick up?

By reading description and some review on HM sonds that they could be a match for neo classical music + a lot closer to original strat sound than HS3 (and older Dimarzio).
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-02-2008, 07:48 AM

I watch a video on youtube featuring james byrd.

His guitar are mounted with a virtual vintage 54b (new 54 should be close) a vv in middle and YJM in neck.

Sound really good.
the video can be foud easily, type virtual vintage 54

Between I watch other videos about last dimarzio noiseless single coils (search for area 67 58 61):
Area 67 outstanding in the neck
Area 67 middle sounds to bright to me I prefer the area 58 but the 2 position with two 67 sounds really great.

I tend to find the 61 to thin in the bridge and I would choose a 54pro.

I really want a strat, if I had one I would go with:
area 67 neck
area 58 middle
VV 54 pro bridge

It should be a very potent and versatile combo.

EDIT

If some users have tried some of he aforementioned pick ups theirs comments are welcome

Last edited by Laionel; 06-02-2008 at 08:44 AM.

Tags
coil tap , strat sound , strat tone

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode