Dimarzio SS & Breed Combination??? - Jemsite
Pickups & wiring Discussion about pickup types, replacements, recomendations, switching, wiring diagrams and sustainer systems for ANY guitar, JEMs included.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-23-2008, 09:21 AM Thread Starter

Question Dimarzio SS & Breed Combination???

After doing a lot of reading I think I have decided I like the description of the Dimarzio Steve's Special & Breed pickups. Would this combination work in a Jem? I'de thought a SS Bridge, & Breed (M) & Neck!!!
Does anyone have this setup? Unfortunatley OZ Dealers aren't helpful when it comes to trying Pickups, they would rather let you buy the wrong ones and then hassle you when you try to return them.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-23-2008, 11:39 AM

Re: Dimarzio SS & Breed Combination???

I don't think any dimarzio dealer anywhere in the world will let you test the pickups before you buy them. please correct me if I'm wrong.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-23-2008, 11:47 AM

Believe that's correct. I didn't even think that it was possible to exchange pickups outside the US.
post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-23-2008, 09:10 PM

That combo would work, imo that'd be pretty sweet, super clean bridge pickup and warm, thick neck tones. ONLY thing is that I think you're looking for the JEM single coil pickup for the middle, which I believe is the ISCV2 single coil. I've been told that you can find it and that you can't, and if you can't then the HS-2 wired in single coil mode would do the trick.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-23-2008, 10:14 PM

I was thinking of that como for a downtuned to DropC RG320...is the Breed Neck TOO thick? I mean, I'm afraid that if it is too thick it might get muddy with heavy strings and that kind of tuning...
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-23-2008, 11:29 PM Thread Starter

Talking Re: Dimarzio SS & Breed Combination???

Thanks CityofBlindingLights that's exactly the info I was after. Appreciate the advice.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-23-2008, 11:30 PM Thread Starter

Thanks CityofBlindingLights that's exactly the info I was after. Appreciate the advice.

To others,
I am aware that only US allow exchange on pickups that's why I made the comment about OZ. Ever tried to exchange something here at a music shop??? They look you up & down as though you are trying to cheat them out of their 150% profit margin. If they had a bit more knowledge in the first place and where more helpful perhaps items wouldn't have to be exchanged
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-23-2008, 11:39 PM Thread Starter

Question Re: Dimarzio SS & Breed Combination???

CityofBlindingLights

ISCV2 single coil. I had a look on the Net, is this an Evolution???
So I would go Bridge-DP161, Middle-ISCV2, Neck-DP166,
Do you think????
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-24-2008, 10:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wombatjo View Post
CityofBlindingLights

ISCV2 single coil. I had a look on the Net, is this an Evolution???
So I would go Bridge-DP161, Middle-ISCV2, Neck-DP166,
Do you think????
NO! You do NOT want a Breed Bridge (DP166) in the neck. Well, you could do that, but I think that'd be way too fat, to the point of getting muddy. Also unless you're doing a lot of metal and little clean work, it's pretty unnecessary to have that high an output in the neck slot. I have a feeling that it wouldn't clean up as well (but then again the Steve's Special would, that thing's amazing imo). What you might be thinking of/want in terms of the breed set is the DP165 Breed Neck.

The ISCV2 is NOT an Evolution in the sense of the evolution set humbuckers (neck and bridge), it's a single coil. It might be referred to as an Evolution because it's referred to as the JEM single coil. I saw on the net that some people are selling it as the ISCV2 Evolution single coil, it SHOULD be the same thing, though I'm not 100% sure, just make sure you're buying from a reputable dealer is my guess.

There's a topic about the JEM single coil on DiMarzio Forum, but unfortunately they're down for now, I'll post the link as soon as they're back up.

IF you don't want the Breed Neck model (it's kinda thick, but not overly thick; it's a good pickup but potentially not what you want), I suggest the Air Zone (DP192) or, my personal favorite neck humbucking pickup, a PAF Pro (DP151). Both are great, you might want to look in to them. OR, if you want something really unconventional, I also like the Humbucker from Hell (DP156), that's a really cool pickup.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-24-2008, 11:32 AM Thread Starter

Thumbs up Re: Dimarzio SS & Breed Combination???

CityofBlindingLights

Your advice has been really informed and helpful. I hear and respect what you say. I've always had Humbuckers on my guitars but really wanted to take it to the next level. I have never really considered all the possibilties before and it's doing my head in a little. Who would have thought it was going to be so complicated or is it just me who is making it complicated!!. Anyway I think I will try the SS/Breed Combo. Now I just have to find a US Dealer who will ship to OZ because prices here are exorbitant, but so far not a lot of luck. Will keep looking. Thanks again for your help
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-24-2008, 01:55 PM

Quote:
Now I just have to find a US Dealer who will ship to OZ because prices here are exorbitant, but so far not a lot of luck. Will keep looking. Thanks again for your help

********.com does.

music

post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-25-2008, 02:49 AM

Quote:
CityofBlindingLights

Your advice has been really informed and helpful. I hear and respect what you say. I've always had Humbuckers on my guitars but really wanted to take it to the next level. I have never really considered all the possibilties before and it's doing my head in a little. Who would have thought it was going to be so complicated or is it just me who is making it complicated!!. Anyway I think I will try the SS/Breed Combo. Now I just have to find a US Dealer who will ship to OZ because prices here are exorbitant, but so far not a lot of luck. Will keep looking. Thanks again for your help
No problem man I'm always happy to give some advice.

Yeah, it's pretty complicated. To make things even stickier for me, I'm a guy who likes single coil tones with humbucking output, so things always get kinda ugly with pickup selection for me. But I manage.

Oh, I almost forgot... you can ALWAYS contact DiMarzio via e-mail, I have found them to be VERY friendly and helpful, knowledgeable, and have given me some good advice. They'll help you with anything from pickup selection to (as your case seems to need) shipping options and replacements. Give them a hoot and see what they say.

Either way, you're going to have a sweet axe (especially with that Steve's Special ).

Tags
breed bridge , breed neck model , bridge pickup , coil mode , coil pickup , dimarzio steve , humbucking pickup , paf pro , pickup selection

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode