DiMarzio Tone Zone/Air Zone: best type of guitar? - Jemsite
Pickups & wiring Discussion about pickup types, replacements, recomendations, switching, wiring diagrams and sustainer systems for ANY guitar, JEMs included.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-17-2010, 11:53 PM Thread Starter

Question DiMarzio Tone Zone/Air Zone: best type of guitar?

Hi everyone,

I'm considering buying a SV5470F and replace stock pups with better ones.
I really enjoy DiMarzios and, so far, I was going for a (Air)Norton in neck and Air Zone/Tone zone in bridge configuration -- with a "I haven't made up my mind yet" in the middle position.

After checking the specs on DiMarzio's website and read some reviews on the web, it seems pretty obvious that the Air Zone/Tone Zone are really bassy pickups.

I'm slightly worried about this since the mahogany body+maple top of the SV5470F makes me think the guitar should have a rather dark, Les Paul-like natural sound.

Let's try to forget about the style of music for a while but just focus on interaction between wood(s) and pickup.
What type of guitar would you use a Air Zone/Tone Zone with?

The way I see things, especially based on the specs, I would rather use the Air Zone/Tone Zone with a guitar that's a bit too bight, with not enough mids and lows. All in all, the opposite of a mahogany+maple guitar (at least from my experience with a Les Paul).

What do you think?

Thanks,
Larry
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-18-2010, 01:15 AM

Re: DiMarzio Tone Zone/Air Zone: best type of guitar?

Quote:
Originally Posted by higure View Post
I'm slightly worried about this since the mahogany body+maple top of the SV5470F makes me think the guitar should have a rather dark, Les Paul-like natural sound.
I've just installed 2 Evolutions in my J-Custom and the bridge Evo has a lot more clarity than the Tone Zone. The Tone Zone was dark in mahogany and I almost created new presets on the TriAxis just for that guitar, which won't be necessary anymore.

I think you should consider D Sonic / True Velvet / Air Norton.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-18-2010, 02:02 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melek Taus View Post

I think you should consider D Sonic / True Velvet / Air Norton.
Thanks for your answer!

I already own a AR250DX, among other ART series, and wish to change pups on that one too. Guess I'll stay away from the Air/Tone Zone on this type of guitar. Would be too dark.

Any recommendation on a pickup that balances well with a Fred? Note: I wish to use the Fred as a neck pickup, not in the bridge.
post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-18-2010, 02:36 AM

The Breed (bridge model), Norton, Tone Zone or Super 3 should match very well tonewise. I'd go for the Breed. It's like an improved Tone Zone with less output.

Cheers!

edit: Also consider the Breed neck, but you may want more output depending on the styles you play.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-18-2010, 04:27 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melek Taus View Post
edit: Also consider the Breed neck, but you may want more output depending on the styles you play.
Are you familiar with the Sylvian + Fripp recordings?
You can check this video on youtube VmybBX-Go2s
I really enjoy Fripp's lead tone on that track -- I prefer studio version though.

Larry

Last edited by higure; 10-18-2010 at 06:30 AM.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-18-2010, 09:08 PM

What a crazy song. If you're after that guitar tone, I think the previously menctioned DiMarzios should suffice, because they have Alnico 5 magnets (except for the Super 3) and are heavy on the mid-bass side.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-18-2010, 11:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by higure View Post
Are you familiar with the Sylvian + Fripp recordings?
You can check this video on youtube VmybBX-Go2s
I really enjoy Fripp's lead tone on that track -- I prefer studio version though.

Larry
that will not be that easy cos Mr Fripp has used guitar synthesizer controllers (midi pickups) since the 80's for his lead guitar tone ...

Last edited by _FR0D0; 10-18-2010 at 11:37 PM.

Tags
air zone , dimarzio , tone zone , woods

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode