the dimarzio tone zone! for those that find it mushy,muddy - Jemsite
Pickups & wiring Discussion about pickup types, replacements, recomendations, switching, wiring diagrams and sustainer systems for ANY guitar, JEMs included.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-17-2003, 10:35 AM Thread Starter

the dimarzio tone zone! for those that find it mushy,muddy

i have heard many bash this pickup,and most dont realize it was originally designed for EVH and his ernie ball signature axe.(very bright guitar with a maple neck and maple top,floyd trem)
some who want that same sound put the tone zone in thier guitar(RGs,jacksons,' or whatever and dont like it.
well the first thing you have to do with the tone zone is to lower it away from the strings much more than usual, for a cleaner,crisper,more articulate tone from this pup lower it to 4/32nds to 1/4" away from the strings(measuring from the top of the pickup polepieces to the bottom of the strings without pressing them at any fret)
I also was fooled when i first got a TZ,i set it WAY to close to the strings and it was MUSH. lowered it is a great sounding pup!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-17-2003, 11:38 AM

good to know, thank you!
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-18-2003, 06:26 PM

Reviews: 3
shall try this with my neck air zone before i take it out (it was an experiment after all)
post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-21-2003, 09:22 PM

tried the height adjustments- still find the TZ muddy... IMO it has something to do with the body mass because the TZ sounds great in my light RX40. it's not a bad humbucker, just need the right guitar to house it
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-03-2003, 07:33 PM

I'd heard the EVH rumor before, and for some reason i thought it'd been discounted. Anyway, pickup height's definately important, but i think body wood also has a lot to do with it- it's a horrible pickup for anything other thaan rhythm in the bridge of a mahoganied-body guitar, IMO- amazingly beautiful clean, and great metal chunk, but no presence or attack. However, in my 7620, the thing is an incredibly rich lead pickup- it's got all these wah-like overtones to it. SO cool. And my pickups are back about 1/4" from the strings as well, although they were probably just over 1/8" until a few days back, and i didn't notice a massive tonal shift...

-D
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-18-2003, 11:55 AM

What about the ToneZone7? Should they also be set away from the strings a bit more than usual?
What about the output of a pickup you lower further away from the strings? Iīve tried it and my impression was that I have less gain than before, but my TZ7 actually sounded a bit less muddy.
And what about balancing with the neck pickup? I realized that the neck pickup (Air Norton7) was quite a bit louder than the TZ7 when just lowering the TZ7, so Iīd have to lower the AN7 too, right?
What are your experiences concerning gain?

Btw, Iīve heard about that EVH thing too. A sales guy from a local music store told me that the Tone Zone was designed for EVH but he did not like it. DiMarzio know that it is a good pickup and for a while they called it "the pickup Eddie didnīt like" or something like that. I donīt know if this denotation was just how DiMarzio called the TZ for themselves or if this name actually was an offcial name. And when Paul Gilbert became an endorser of that pickup, they had to find a name....
That guy who told me this story usually is very competent, but though I think all this is just rumor.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-18-2003, 10:54 PM

Quote:
What about the output of a pickup you lower further away from the strings? Iīve tried it and my impression was that I have less gain than before, but my TZ7 actually sounded a bit less muddy.
And what about balancing with the neck pickup? I realized that the neck pickup (Air Norton7) was quite a bit louder than the TZ7 when just lowering the TZ7, so Iīd have to lower the AN7 too, right?
What are your experiences concerning gain?
I've found that you just have to try and balance the clean and rhythm channels when you have pickups with large differences in output. A lot of people really over-emphasize the importance of a high-output bridge pickup. You want to set everything up to be as clear as possible, then if you need more distortion, turn up the amp gain or invest in a good OD/dist pedal.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-19-2003, 02:53 PM

Well, the problem is that my Triaxis on which I mainly use the Lead2red channel, the gain is already quite close to 10! Many peolpe say that the Triaxis has a lot of gain, for the Rectifier channel (LD1red) this is true, but the other Lead channels could have a bit more gain in my opinion.
And lowering the pickups will bring me even less gain, but on the other hand the sound might get better

Iīve already been thinking about getting an OD/dist pedal, but there are so many out there! But I think itīs worth a try... Can anybody recommend one, especially in combination with a Triaxis?

Btw, when I listen to the older stuff of Dream Theater on which Petrucci used the Triaxis more often than today, I canīt believe that all that gain comes from the Triaxis only. Does anybody know if Petrucci used any OD or dist. pedals with his Triaxis?

Thanks
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-19-2003, 11:40 PM

I know what you mean about not getting enough gain. I use a Dual Rec and have to use a Metal Zone to crunch the front end up. When you're using that much gain, though, it's even more important that you get a strong, clear signal from the guitar. About dist. pedals, I would recommend something like a Keeley or an Analog Man. Stock pedals just screw with your sound too much. I've about had it with the Metal Zone, but I can't get enough gain without it, and the sweepable mids are nice. I think I'm going to have Keeley mod it.

Tags
air norton , bridge pickup , ernie ball , floyd trem , keeley mod , local music store , maple neck , music store , neck pickup , paul gilbert , pickup height , tone zone

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode