Dimarzio's for drop tunings - Jemsite
Pickups & wiring Discussion about pickup types, replacements, recomendations, switching, wiring diagrams and sustainer systems for ANY guitar, JEMs included.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-01-2008, 12:13 PM Thread Starter

Dimarzio's for drop tunings

I play in Drop-D (mahogany body) and B Standard (walnut body) Caparisons, could anyone suggest a bridge humbucker and single coil space neck humbucker for these guitars?

I've heard the D-sonic is good for drop tunings but i'd like more opinions
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-01-2008, 04:10 PM

Reviews: 12
Re: Dimarzio's for drop tunings

What style of music do ya play?
D-Sonic's sweet and versatile. D-Activators are good if you like the responsiveness and attack of an active p/u plus they don't sound bland in clean mode...
Single coil neck? an FS-1 could do the trick... maybe a Pro Track as well.

Reg
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-01-2008, 04:13 PM

JB's are good in any situation IMO.
post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-01-2008, 07:38 PM Thread Starter

I play alot of progressive metal stuff, how about the X2N's? I know M.Romeo plays them but i don't know how they'll sound in B standard in a walnut guitar
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-01-2008, 08:37 PM

Sounds like you might want a D-Sonic, it's got the range for lots of rock, metal, prog and the like.

it's a pretty versatile pickup, you can flip the bar side of it to shape it's sound into something you want.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-02-2008, 05:43 AM

Try my old favourite, the Bill Lawrence XL-500
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-02-2008, 06:42 AM

DiMarzio says for D Sonic:

Our first heavy humbucker of the 21st century, the D Sonic™ is a high-output bridge humbucker designed for the extended low end and heavy chords that dropped tuning delivers, with serious treble response for single-note solos and standard tuning. The D Sonic™ is more than just a one-sound pickup, too. In addition to the standard series humbucking sound, our patented design utilizes 4-conductor wiring to access two different single-coil sounds plus parallel humbucking mode, for three additional sounds that are distinctive and versatile.
Recommended For: Solid body guitars, bridge position.
Tech Talk: Those of you familiar with DiMarzio® history will note the visual resemblance to our old MegaDrive™, but the design is completely different. Installation direction makes a noticeable difference in the sound, particularly with overdriven amps. With the solid bar toward the bridge, the sound is a little brighter and better-defined, and this is the direction we recommend for heavy strings and low tunings. With the adjustable polepieces toward the bridge, the sound is warmer and a touch louder, and we think this works best for standard tuning and more solo-oriented playing. Each coil has a unique tonal character, so the two split sounds are different, and parallel humbucking produces a third clean and bright sound.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-02-2008, 07:03 AM

Reviews: 25

I would look into a Dimarzio Super 3
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-02-2008, 02:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gurj View Post
Try my old favourite, the Bill Lawrence XL-500
++++++++++++++++1

Tags
bridge hum , bridge humbucker , bridge position , mahogany body , neck humbucker , versatile pickup

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode