Direct mount pickups - Jemsite
Pickups & wiring Discussion about pickup types, replacements, recomendations, switching, wiring diagrams and sustainer systems for ANY guitar, JEMs included.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 06-11-2012, 12:23 AM Thread Starter

Direct mount pickups

Does Dimarzio, or any other company for that matter, make different pickups for direct mount vs. pickup ring mounted pickups ?

I am just wondering it they make different leg heights or non threaded legs, or if they are all supposed be universal. I do know about the V shaped and round tabs on the legs that some companies have. I have seen some pickups advertised on Ebay as direct mount, and that is what prompted this question.

And has anyone ever had to route their guitar, do to height, when putting anything other than and EMG.

Last edited by SGramer; 06-11-2012 at 01:36 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 06-12-2012, 07:17 PM

Re: Direct mount pickups

Vast majority of pickups are made to be mounted on pickup rings. Most of the time people enlarge the mounting hole to accommodate a larger wood screw. Almost all pickups will ship with springs and height screws if not majority are interchangeable.

I have had to route out cavities to take a larger pickup but never for a deeper pickup. I could see having problems with certain parker guitars or supper thin guitars but again most will interchange without a problem
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 06-12-2012, 07:39 PM Thread Starter

Thanks, my 1570 is the only guitar I have ever had that uses the direct mount method. Everything else has/had either a pick guard or rings.

Thanks.
post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 06-12-2012, 08:26 PM
Banned

Reviews: 98

The screws that come with DiMarzios are not for direct mounting. You'll have to visit a hardware store for wood screws.

Place foam under the pickups to provide the height.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode