DM: No sound with bare grounded - Jemsite
Pickups & wiring Discussion about pickup types, replacements, recomendations, switching, wiring diagrams and sustainer systems for ANY guitar, JEMs included.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-16-2013, 06:54 PM Thread Starter

DM: No sound with bare grounded

Strange wiring issue.

H-H guitar with LP style switch.

Super 3 in bridge- works fine.

Installing PAF Pro in neck. Have installed this pickup in this guitar before. With red to hot, black and white soldered together and taped off, I get sound when green is grounded, but as soon as I touch the bare to ground, I get NO SOUND. When in middle position with bare grounded, I get NO SOUND- not even from bridge pickup.

With just green grounded I get sound, but buzz too.

Bare is not touching/grounding out to any other parts.

?????
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-17-2013, 05:41 PM

Reviews: 2
Re: DM: No sound with bare grounded

sounds like your output jack is wired backward.
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-17-2013, 06:22 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by RGTFanatic View Post
sounds like your output jack is wired backward.
Agreed--check that first.
post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-17-2013, 08:27 PM Thread Starter

This is bizarre- I just had another DM in the same position, wired no problem. I swap it out for the PAF Pro and now this problem- ???

I'll check but I am mystified.
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-17-2013, 10:34 PM

Is the PAF new? if your wiring is good then you got bad wiring in the pup. send it back if you can.
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-18-2013, 03:10 AM

If you have an extra output jack laying around, wire the pup directly to the jack and see if it works... if not you'll know it's a bad pup.

Best guess without having access to the pup;

The bare wire has shorted on one of the 'hot' wires... so when you connect it to ground everything is going to ground.
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-18-2013, 03:26 PM Thread Starter

Pickup is not new- cannibalized from an old Sabre I got last year. No idea how old it is.

I have used it in several guitars before, including this one (has been a month or so, tried a few before coming back to it), with no problem. Could it have become damaged somehow?

For the time being, I have the green to ground and the bare taped off. There is lots of hum when I'm not touching strings/hardware, but none (no more than usual I mean) when touching strings/hardware. It's a bit annoying but more just because I know there's an issue than because of any real sound issue.

Last edited by gauchosilvertone; 06-18-2013 at 03:45 PM. Reason: Clarification
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-20-2013, 01:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gauchosilvertone View Post
I have used it in several guitars before, including this one (has been a month or so, tried a few before coming back to it), with no problem. Could it have become damaged somehow?
I'd have to say it's very possible.

You're heating the wires/coils quite a bit each time you install/remove the pickup and it could simply be that one of the wires insulation has melted away, causing the bare wire to short... or any number of other issues that could rise during the heating/handling of the pickup.

If you're brave you can disassemble the entire thing... not the easiest task... and if there is a break in the insulation somewhere it could be fixed... I don't recommend it though... those are some VERY FINE wires and removing the entire casing on the wire bundles can often cause more damage while you're trying to fix things.

Not much else I can say/do to help. Getting a tech to take it apart and fix it would cost more than the pickup is worth (at least; I'd charge more than it's worth... and I'd tell you so if you brought it to me. )
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-20-2013, 01:34 AM

I do need to just add this;

Are you absolutely sure that it's not another wiring issue? Sometimes it's easy to miss something simple.

When I was studying electronics I had to build a power supply and went nuts trying to figure out why it didn't work at first... then, after looking at it from a totally different angle realized that I'd put a single diode in backwards.

D'OH!
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-22-2013, 12:17 PM Thread Starter

Here is why I'm reasonably sure it's not another wiring issue. I bought the guitar new this year from its builder, Jack Dent (NC builder). He has built multiple axes for Steve Rothery of Marillion (with one more in the works), and is currently building one for Steve Hackett which Hackett plans to play with Clapton at the Royal Albert Hall this fall.

In other words, the guy's a pro.

I have changed NOTHING else about the wiring, ever, and before reinstalling the PAF it had another DiMarzio in the neck with no problem.

Without desoldering any other connections, what could possibly cause such an issue? I'm no expert so I'm not saying it's impossible, but it's hard to figure.

Lucky for me I've never been wild about the PAF Pro (and yet I keep trying it) so if any pickup had to go bad I'm glad it's this one.
post #11 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-22-2013, 12:33 PM
Banned

After all of that--sounds like a bad pickup.
post #12 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-23-2013, 07:18 PM Thread Starter

That's my guess. Now I've got an excuse to tear a pickup apart and see what it's made of!

I consider it resolved at this point. Thanks all.
post #13 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-23-2013, 09:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gauchosilvertone View Post
That's my guess. Now I've got an excuse to tear a pickup apart and see what it's made of!

I consider it resolved at this point. Thanks all.
Just for giggles.....what switch is in the guitar??

It's nearly impossible to fry a pickup..... unless it's been in a fire or something equally destructive, they just don't go bad. They get microphonic, but not DOA for no reason.
post #14 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-23-2013, 10:11 PM

Reviews: 120

That's what I was thinking, or someone has really yanked on the wires big time. It takes a bit of effort to kill a pickup that was working fine. They really are very simple contraptions.
post #15 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-23-2013, 10:38 PM

Have you tried hooking the pickup directly?

No switch, no volume or tone...

Or use a multi-meter.

Tags
bare wire , dimarzio , grounded , grounding

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode