Do you swap your stock 5 way for better switches? Which ones - Jemsite
Pickups & wiring Discussion about pickup types, replacements, recomendations, switching, wiring diagrams and sustainer systems for ANY guitar, JEMs included.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-20-2003, 05:32 AM Thread Starter

Do you swap your stock 5 way for better switches? Which ones

So far, my tech has told me that the stock Ibanez switches are not easy to figure out and aren't very reliable.

I just got a RG2120x and am trying to figure out how to wire things myself since I can make my own cables and solder .

My question is basically, how do you know which 5 way is actually the best to use in a humbucker/humbucker pickup config? OR would you prefer to keep the stock Ibanez 5 way?

LAst question, the key to wiring is knowing which poles on your switch do what.I checked Ibanezes wiring diagrams and they give the wiring scheme but don't explain how the switch functions.Any advice about how to know how each is designed to work? Thanks a bunch
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-20-2003, 08:03 AM

Re: Do you swap your stock 5 way for better switches? Which

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Secondino
So far, my tech has told me that the stock Ibanez switches are not easy to figure out
maybe for him! and i have had no reliability problems at all over 5-7 guitars and 6+ years.

Quote:
I just got a RG2120x and am trying to figure out how to wire things myself since I can make my own cables and solder. My question is basically, how do you know which 5 way is actually the best to use in a humbucker/humbucker pickup config? OR would you prefer to keep the stock Ibanez 5 way?
i wouldn't change a switch unless there was a problem with the one in there. it might crap out down the road, but why go through the hassle until it does. there's no subjective 'tone' issue with a switch, it will either work or it will not.

as for what switch is better, it depends on what pickup combinations you want. if you like the stock combinations, leave it in. if you want a 3-way switch or different combinations, you could change it.

Quote:
LAst question, the key to wiring is knowing which poles on your switch do what.I checked Ibanezes wiring diagrams and they give the wiring scheme but don't explain how the switch functions.Any advice about how to know how each is designed to work?
yeah, nobody lists that on their wiring diagrams, so you have to reverse engineer it either from knowing what pickups are on in what positions, or if you have the switch in hand you can trace it with a voltmeter.

your RG2120 probably has the infamous OTAX VLX-91 switch, which is a 24 pole switch that works exactly the same as the 24 pole switches available from Stew Mac or DiMarzio or All Parts. figuring out how this switch works is easy, see this pic on my home page http://www.his.com/sha3u/gear/vlx91.jpg , but designing a wiring scheme around it is hard, since there are no internal jumpers in the switch and you have to connect jumper wires to the poles yourself. since you don't have any experience at pickup wiring, you might want to start learning on a simpler system.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-20-2003, 12:17 PM Thread Starter

thanks for the diagram.Atleast your diagram has the poles numbered.I'm friendly with the music store down the street sinceI bought 6 grand worth of Zon Basses through them plus a 1800.00 Spector USA a couple years back. THe day time guy there can do it for me for free but he doesn't get the layout of the switch without reverse enginnering it like you mentioned.

I get what you're saying too about sound quality.I was thinking of ditching the switch because new ones are cheap and they are usually more logically laid out and have a schematic available.

I am putting in a dimzrzio evo in teh bridge and a hum from hell in the neck and want to wire it to operate like normal.However the stock V7 and V8 are only 3 conductor and there were atleast 3 jumpers on the switch to make it all work.So if you have any info for how to use those dimarzios to acheive the standard switching, it would be great.

Thanks for your time and the good diagram of the switch.I appreciate it
post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-20-2003, 12:38 PM

I've put Schaller Megaswitches in a TONS of guitar, and love em. Better construction, great versatility in regards to switching options, etc.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-20-2003, 02:00 PM

Quote:
thanks for the diagram.Atleast your diagram has the poles numbered.
no problem -- i made it by tracing with a voltmeter.

Quote:
I was thinking of ditching the switch because new ones are cheap and they are usually more logically laid out and have a schematic available.
the layout of the OTAX is quite logical, it's just the implimentation that's a pain in the ass. and if you want the stock switching scheme that your 2021 came with, you've either got to use a 24 pole switch like the OTAX or the "Special 5-Way" ibanez switch in the 7620s [and that's not readily available, i don't know of any place to buy them after-market]. if you want something close but not the same, you could use a Schaller Megaswitch for PRS-type switching.

Quote:
I am putting in a dimzrzio evo in teh bridge and a hum from hell in the neck and want to wire it to operate like normal.However the stock V7 and V8 are only 3 conductor and there were atleast 3 jumpers on the switch to make it all work.So if you have any info for how to use those dimarzios to acheive the standard switching, it would be great.
what do you mean "like normal" -- like the stock configuration? if you want the dimarzios to switch in the stock configuration, all you have to do is replace the V7 & V8 wires with the right dimarzio ones. whichever one is the neck pickup [V8?] does have 4 conductor, but the bridge pickup doesn't because it doesn't need it. and you should leave all those switch jumpers in.

for details, check out the ibanez website wiring diagram for the RG202x series [2020, 2027, etc], and also scour the Universal Jems website for kevan geier's dimarzios in Double Edge guitars diagram [although there's a phasing problem in his wiring that you might encounter]. map the dimarzio wire colors to the V7 and V8 wires and then start soldering.

Quote:
Originally Posted by viajem777
I've put Schaller Megaswitches in a TONS of guitar, and love em. Better construction, great versatility in regards to switching options, etc.
i've had few troubles with the 6-8 Megaswitches i've used, but i've heard of other people having serious relibaility issues -- like 3 failing in less than a year. they're cool for simple things, but the versatility pales next to a 24 pole switch -- there's many things you just can't do with any of the Megaswitches, like the ibanez "special" 2 humbucker wiring above.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-20-2003, 02:27 PM Thread Starter

I checked out your website. YOu seem to have really useful ideas for the 2027 you have. Could you tune me into that idea where oyu use the push pull.I mean, the sound you are geetting from that push pull where only the outer coils of each humbucker are active?

I have the 2027x as well wit hthe stock switch so I'd love any help you can give me on how to make mine work like yours.I guess if you could tell me the part number on the push pull switch adn that stuff.

I have a Duncan Custom 7 in the bridge of that guitar and an air norton 7 in the neck.Otherwise , it is stock.Thanks a ton.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-20-2003, 02:44 PM

Quote:
I checked out your website. YOu seem to have really useful ideas for the 2027 you have. Could you tune me into that idea where oyu use the push pull.I mean, the sound you are geetting from that push pull where only the outer coils of each humbucker are active?
thanks. the outer coils only gives a nice bright Tele-like sound -- this combination is one of the sounds on the PRS rotary switch.

the push/pull coil splits the humbuckers into single coils in the 1 & 5 positions. that gives the standard split humbucker sound, bright and chimey like a single coil and lots of hum.[/quote]

Quote:
I have the 2027x as well wit hthe stock switch so I'd love any help you can give me on how to make mine work like yours.I guess if you could tell me the part number on the push pull switch adn that stuff.
i get all my parts from Stewart MacDonald, see www.stewmac.com for the web version of their catalog. they have a minimum order, but they stock tons of stuff that local shops don't.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-10-2003, 08:24 PM

I work on a lot of Ibanez guitars, some are 10yrs old or more, & the 5 way switches never seem to be a problem.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-12-2003, 03:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vaijem777
I've had one of Chris's guitars withe the Mega E switch. Well worth a look! In addition to the switching options, positions 2 & 4 seem to better defined and your less likely to flick to the wrong setting.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-29-2003, 12:47 AM

5-way HH switch

I was trying to find a switch like the Ibanez 3PS1SC5 switch, which looks like a 5-way 2-pole switch, but puts the humbuckers in parallel in position 3. The new 4-pole switches that you guys are talking about can do about anything, but I didn't want to do all that wiring. Anyone know where I can get this switch?
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-29-2003, 08:46 AM

I have also heard nothing but good things about the Schaller Megaswitch.
They are meant to be very good indeed.
Gary - The.Godfather

Tags
air norton , bridge pickup , coil split , humbucker sound , ibanez guitars , music store , neck pickup , pickup combination , pickup wiring , pole switch , pull coil , wiring diagram

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode