dodgy switch...? - Jemsite
Pickups & wiring Discussion about pickup types, replacements, recomendations, switching, wiring diagrams and sustainer systems for ANY guitar, JEMs included.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-05-2010, 03:25 AM Thread Starter

dodgy switch...?

was just playing my rg2550z then and i was in the 4th position (middle single coil and neck bucker) and the sound just cut out. i started moving the switch around a bit and if i move the switch to the left or right the sound cuts out almost completely and there's a lot of scratching.

on the single coil by itself (position 3) if you move the switch a bit the sound gets cut out by like 90-95% (if you're on 10 volume with distortion it sounds like its on vol 1-2 on a clean setting).

it's mostly the split and single coil positions but the full humbucking positions are a bit dodgy too.

is this the switch crapping out? it seems as if maybe the connections inside the actual switch are not functioning properly or something. i rewired the whole guitar and replaced the stock pots with more stock pots (irrelevant reason) and all my wiring is done properly and firmly in place.

any suggestions?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-05-2010, 04:06 AM

Reviews: 3
Re: dodgy switch...?

Well, I have heard of 5 ways getting dirty and needing to be blown out with a can of air to clean the contacts, but I'd say it sounds like a switch on the frits. I did a PU swap on my strat and got a little messy with the saulder on the 5 way. I was able to fix it but was left with a similar problem to yours. You should be able to pick a new switch up for under $15. Worth a try atleast.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-05-2010, 04:20 AM Thread Starter

ibanez switches are sealed so you can't blow anything into them really which means if they're dirty they need to be replaced i think.

i'm gonna bust open the guitar now.
post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-05-2010, 04:50 AM Thread Starter

well i just had a look around the wiring. none of the wires are loose and seem to be soldered properly.

i sprayed some contact cleaner into the switch. gonna let it evaporate before i try it.

edit: yep, no change. same problem still.

Last edited by Homebake; 02-05-2010 at 04:56 AM.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-05-2010, 05:08 AM

I don't know that it will tell you anything you don't already know but if you have a multimeter you could check the blades in each possition. Something could be bleeding through somewhere.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-05-2010, 05:09 AM Thread Starter

nope, ain't got me one of those.

i'm just gonna suck it up and take it to the guitar store tomorrow. it will cost me and take a few days at least but i need this fixed properly.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-05-2010, 05:14 AM

I wouldn't let them charge you for more than half an hour of shop time for labor.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-05-2010, 05:47 AM Thread Starter

yeah but anything dropped off at either guitar store in my city that requires more time than screwing in a screw does gets put on the list of things to be done. they don't have enough time to serve everyone who has a problem straight away.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-05-2010, 07:42 PM Thread Starter

well, for anyone who ever might read this, the problem was a quick fix.

the dude at the store just sprayed some specialized contact cleaner and fixed it completely. free of charge

Tags
switch , volume

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode