Ibanez JEM Forum banner

Does anyone have a wiring diag for a SV5470J?

3K views 14 replies 3 participants last post by  KennyV 
#1 ·
Hello
Does anyone have a wiring diag for a SV5470J?
I checked the Ibanez site and it seems this guitar is older and
is not shown on their site.

Thanks for any help!

#4 ·
Not sure if I should have started a new post but here is the wiring I have so far.

I omitted for the input jack but I do have it.
Sorry for the crude drawing.
There is no output and I only check that by touching the strings to the poles and I get nothing.
I wanted to use a fender 5 way switch but it bottoms out and I didn't want to shave out any from the bottom. I guess I could if I had to.

I likely have some errors with my wiring. Please take a look.
Thank you

Attachments

#6 · (Edited)
The S5470 only has a master tone, master volume, and 5-way switch... unless someone added another pot. Do you have a picture of the guitar?

Here is the standard Ibanez HSH with 5 way wiring... https://forum.seymourduncan.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=79744&d=1492545709

Edit - I finally found some info on the SV series: https://ibanez.fandom.com/wiki/Portal:SV_series

Not sure on your particular model SV5470J, I don't see it listed. Lots of different pickup combinations on the various models.

#8 ·
Thanks for the links I think the two are the same. Anyway, I can try to go with a master vol and tone.
It looks like the white/black are not just tied off like i have them. They are going to the 1st and 3rd lugs from the right on the switch

I believe the green will be subbed for my blue if that makes sense.

I need to get a proper value for my cap(s) I just had a .001uf lying around just to try and get this going.

Thanks again I appreciate the input!

#10 ·
Hello and thanks again for responding

For the wire code I went with this ... as attached

In the link diagram you gave it shows the switch having a black lead marked to bridge ground and right below it is another black lead that looks like it is looped back from the switch. Not sure how either of those work or what it means "To bridge ground".

I don't see a lug on the switch that they go to unless they are just going to ground on the switch and they diagrammed it this way because it's too busy of a picture. But, the wire that is looping back to the switch if it was going to ground I would think it would just go to the 5th lug that is gnd lug I believe.

I guess I don't know much

Attachments

#11 ·
Hello and thanks again for responding

For the wire code I went with this ... as attached

In the link diagram you gave it shows the switch having a black lead marked to bridge ground and right below it is another black lead that looks like it is looped back from the switch. Not sure how either of those work or what it means "To bridge ground".

I don't see a lug on the switch that they go to unless they are just going to ground on the switch and they diagrammed it this way because it's too busy of a picture. But, the wire that is looping back to the switch if it was going to ground I would think it would just go to the 5th lug that is gnd lug I believe.

I guess I don't know much
The "bridge ground" in the diagram is just the ground wire that goes to the "bridge" of the guitar, not the bridge pickup. Guitars with a tremolo will often be grounded through the spring claw in the back of the guitar. This is just to keep your bridge/springs/strings from acting like an antenna and picking up electrical noise. The other ground wire that is shown looping to the switch is just to ground out the metal cover on the switch, for the same noise control reasons as the bridge ground. The volume and tone pots will also have grounding wires running to them, then all will be grounded back to the ground of the guitar's jack.

Guitar wiring can get confusing, mostly in the switching aspects... but it not really too complicated. Take your time, you want nice shiny solder connections, keep the tip of the soldering iron clean, and make sure you have all of the grounds attached to the backs of the pots, switches, bridge, etc. You'll get it!!

#12 ·
Thank you for the reply

I understand the need for grounding but by looking at the diag I don't understand where on the switch the wires are to be soldered to for the grounds. These two are shown going to the side of the switch. The switch I have doesn't have any lugs on it's side.

I wonder if I can skip the wire to ground the switch since I used copper tape all through the cavity to create a Faraday Cage I believe it would be grounded from the tape.

Maybe I should have mentioned I copper taped the pickguard and the main cavity as well as the cavity for the input jack. And I ran a wire connecting the two. It measured very small ohms with a volt meter.

Thanks again for taking the time!

#13 ·
Switches on their own don't actually need to be groundedto function. Some like to ground them, but I never have.

It's easiest to have grounds "flow" in on direction though, makes it cleaner to follow and sometimes has a better result.

For example.

*All pots are self grounded to tops.
*Pickups grounded to volume (farthest away from jack)

*Connect volume ground to first time ground (getting closer to jack)

*Connect tone 1 ground to tone 2 ground (even closer to jack)

*Connect tone 2 to output jack.

That way all the grounding will flow out in 1 way.
As for the ground wire from the bridge (ex tremolo claw) it can be grounded where ever alone the way out, but may as well be the volume pot since it's already got the pickups in it too.

Now for the switches to be in the off position, or even perform a coil split, sometimes they ground a lug in the configuration to kill the current in that pickup. But that's different then grounding the switch.

#14 ·
Very interesting perspective I like the flow idea and believe it would make it easier to troubleshoot as well.

As for now I just want to get this working and may in the future do more mods like coil splitting.

Referring back to an earlier post I think I can do without the two wires to the switch I had questioned about since I have a gnd from the claw to a pot and the switch should be grounded from the copper tape.

So I'll go ahead and follow the schematic with a mater vol and tone.

Thanks again for the input!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.