Does Anyone Use Strip Connectors? - Jemsite
Pickups & wiring Discussion about pickup types, replacements, recomendations, switching, wiring diagrams and sustainer systems for ANY guitar, JEMs included.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-02-2013, 07:39 AM Thread Starter

Reviews: 6
Does Anyone Use Strip Connectors?

After some disappointing experiences buying brand new guitars particularly relating to poor setups, these days I love to buy pristine used ones that have been well taken care of from classifieds etc,. Usually the pups have been changed to something I prefer and the setup has been done with love and care, not the new guy in the store who couldn't give a rats arse about how it's going to play.

One thing I've noticed though is the fact that there are many guitar players who cannot solder to save their lives. When I buy a new axe the first thing I do is take a look at the electronics. Usually I am greeted with huge splodges of solder tenuously holding the earths to a pot, move something slightly and it all falls apart like a Chinese motorbike. Given my profession, I'm totally OCD about wiring and soldering, so I unsolder everything and introduce these fellows:

Strip connectors.

For me this method works really well. I can take all the earths to one connector, solder them together and take one neat line to the pot. I can also use them to connect to the 5 way etc., meaning that changing a pup is a much quicker task as I have permanent wiring going from the strip connectors to the components which never has to be changed. I have done this with all my guitars and it has worked a dream. I've tested before and after results on a multimeter and there doesn't seem to be any difference.

So, am I just too anal about this? Or are there other Jemsite members who do this also? Are there any reasons not to do this?

Cheers,

Laobi
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-05-2013, 12:06 PM

Re: Does Anyone Use Strip Connectors?

Never seen this done but it's a really interesting idea. I don't see any reason not to.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-05-2013, 12:10 PM

I too am interested .. how big are those things?
post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-05-2013, 12:52 PM

That is basically what Seymour Duncan did with the Liberator. Change pickups with a screwdriver.

post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-05-2013, 04:16 PM

Reviews: 120

I've added a few in one guitar so I can easily remove the pickguard and disconnect the jack wiring with just a screw driver.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-07-2013, 07:40 AM

I actually had the same idea a coupe of days ago. Although I am not so worried about the electrical flow, I wondered how chunks of these things influence the magnetic fields of the pickups.

For avoiding the famous ground solder blob I currently use a piece of wire from the capacitators to solder everything on. Then at the end I solder the wire to volume pot on two connections (lug 3 and, top).
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-07-2013, 09:11 PM

Reviews: 1

Those look pretty cool, may have to dig up some
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-13-2013, 08:26 PM Thread Starter

Hi All,

Thank you for the feedback. I too wondered about the electrical flow and specifically EM interference with the pups, but I keep them nearer the pots and have not experienced any issues. You can get very small ones and just use a single larger one to take care of all the grounds. You can also scavenge phoenix connectors or buy them for very little (see link) http://uk.farnell.com/phoenix-contac...way/dp/3704907
Phoenix connectors are very small and may come in handy where space is very tight.

Cheers,

Laobi
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-14-2013, 07:18 AM

Hi all,

Interesting read - "chocolate blocks" as I call them are very useful things and yet cost very little. I use them both at work and at home (turned out to be very handy when a pet chewed through the mains cable of a new lamp w'd just bought :S quickly repaired though!).

Never understood why they were never used in guitars - so much tidier and easier than the often shocking so-called "wiring" that is in many guitars which looks like a 5 year-old has been let loose with the soldering iron and to hell with Quality Control. Awful!

They come in various sizes, from tiny (perfect for guitars) to big beefy ones for mains/high-current applications. My local ASDA has them for about 85p for a pack.

Shouldn't have any effect on tone/EMI either.

Amazing how many folk can't solder however. It's so easy!

'87
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-19-2013, 02:34 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shredder87 View Post
Hi all,

Interesting read - "chocolate blocks" as I call them are very useful things and yet cost very little. I use them both at work and at home (turned out to be very handy when a pet chewed through the mains cable of a new lamp w'd just bought :S quickly repaired though!).

'87
Lol, you just reminded me I have a couple of the larger ones joining the power cable on the wife's hair dryer and laptop where my pet jackdaw pecked through them. For some reason she leaves my stuff alone, but the wife's stuff seems to be fair game. Then again she knows where the attention and food comes from. The only things she steals from me and destroys are cigarettes and phones.
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-09-2013, 05:27 AM

This also reduces the possibility of overheating and ruining your pots.

I will surely implement this on my next auction rebuild project, ( I also prefer buying vintage MIJ Blazers and modernizing). I have borrowed the solder tab idea from Bourns pots that has already removed any heat to the pot, and this additional item will make connections even easier.

I have also been using "quick connectors" from Acme, that allow me to quickly change complete pickguard assemblies with no soldering. Each set is 1 pin and two sockets with heat shrink. They could also be used to quickly exchange pickups on the same pickgurd.

Question,.. So Is it hard to find a strip connector where all the connections are "common" ? After A quick browse at digikey it seems I still need to run a common between them.
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-11-2013, 08:10 PM

Any online electronics supply should have what you need. They make all kinds.

Tags
pickups , strip connectors , wiring

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode