Does it Matter If pickups are 'backwards' - Jemsite
Pickups & wiring Discussion about pickup types, replacements, recomendations, switching, wiring diagrams and sustainer systems for ANY guitar, JEMs included.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-24-2007, 06:17 PM Thread Starter

Does it Matter If pickups are 'backwards'

I am wondering if the sound changes if you were to do this... For example, if the dimarzio logo was upside down on ur neckpickup.. does this change anything? just a dumb question
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-24-2007, 06:46 PM

Re: Does it Matter If pickups are 'backwards'

Depends. There's generally a rule of thumb when it comes to that, but i forgot what it was Sorry

However, there are certain pickups (as specified on DiMarzio's site) that have a radically different sound when flipped, more so than most. They usually specify so look up the ones you have on their site. If there's a big difference, they'll mention it and tell you the tonal differences.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-24-2007, 07:02 PM

do it by ear. most pickups will sound subtly different depending on orientation, turn it around and see which way you preferred!
post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-24-2007, 07:07 PM

I asked my local tech this once and he said it doesnt make a difference.
Pretty much all a pick up is, is a magnet with wire wrapped around it. I wouldnt think the top half would be made any different from the bottom half, or the front coil be any different from the back, except maybe with something like a D-sonic where the front has slugs and the back has a bar, but guitar players are a fickle bunch and they will argue all day about being able to hear the most subtle difference that may or may not be there.

I dont know that personally I would trust Dimarzio saying the pick up sounds radically different if its flipped to be anything more than a gimmick. How many pick up manufacturers claim to make a pickup that gives you "an authentic PAF sound"

There's nothing to it to try it out for yourself though and see if you hear a difference.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-24-2007, 07:15 PM Thread Starter

thanks for the tips guys.. will i look like a knob with my p-up reversed? LOL
ill just claim it gets me one step closer to the tone im looking for
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-24-2007, 07:19 PM

I forgot to mention, Seth Lover said that the reason the humbuckers face the directions they face in Les Pauls was because he liked the way it looked and it had nothing to do with the sound. I would like to think that he is a little more knowledgeable about pickups than at least most of us.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-24-2007, 08:41 PM

Reviews: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by elcid View Post
I forgot to mention, Seth Lover said that the reason the humbuckers face the directions they face in Les Pauls was because he liked the way it looked and it had nothing to do with the sound. I would like to think that he is a little more knowledgeable about pickups than at least most of us.
Seth Lover made his pickups have matching coils but not every humbucker has to have identical coils. Besides the D-Sonic, the Dimarzio Bluesbucker also sounds different if it's oriented one way or the other.

That being said, those are the only 2 Dimarzio humbuckers that I'm aware of that sound different based upon their orientation. It's not like Dimarzio hypes this feature in their pickups. This just happened to be a side effect of their design.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-25-2007, 01:10 PM

this is from the Dimarzio FAQ about humbuckers:

Most humbuckers are symmetrical and their sound does not change at all when installed backwards, but some have a slightly different sound if you install them in the opposite direction from normal. It’s not a matter of right or wrong, but a matter of taste for such a subtle difference, if you can hear the difference at all. Those models include the Air Norton™, Air Zone™, Evolution® neck, bridge and 7-string, FRED®, Humbucker from Hell™, DLX Plus™ neck and bridge models, Virtual P-90™, Blaze™ neck and bridge models and Tone Zone 7™.

The Steve’s Special™, the Bluesbucker® and the MegaDrive™ have distinctly different sounds if you turn them around, and there is no ‘right’ installation direction. The Bluesbucker® is brighter-sounding with the adjustable screw coil towards the bridge, while the MegaDrive™ is brighter-sounding with the adjustable screw coil towards the neck. The Steve’s Special™ is brighter-sounding if the coil on the pickup’s cable exit side is toward the bridge.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-25-2007, 01:20 PM

Thanks for posting that ashbass. I knew the Humbucker From Hell had asymmetrical coils (I've used that pup for years) but I didn't recall Dimarzio saying anything about it sounding different based upon its orientation.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-25-2007, 02:09 PM

If you split the pickup the difference is greater. I like to use the outer coils combined with the single in HSH configuration. I can't describe the difference though. And I'm not sure I would hear it either. But it's the how I have it arranged. (Neck pickup up side down.)
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-25-2007, 02:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Euphor View Post
If you split the pickup the difference is greater. I like to use the outer coils combined with the single in HSH configuration. I can't describe the difference though. And I'm not sure I would hear it either. But it's the how I have it arranged. (Neck pickup up side down.)
You can access either coil when you split it so the orientation really doesn't matter. That being said, it can be easier just to flip the pickup than rewire it to change the position of the active split coil.

Tags
air norton , dimarzio humbuckers , guitar players , les paul , les pauls , neck pickup , tone zone

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode