Double Whammy??? - Jemsite
Pickups & wiring Discussion about pickup types, replacements, recomendations, switching, wiring diagrams and sustainer systems for ANY guitar, JEMs included.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-26-2003, 01:06 PM Thread Starter

Double Whammy???

I have another guitar (actually a kit guitar made from parts ) And it needs pickups!!!!! I am looking for any body who has played these pickups in an alder guitar w/ floyd??????? I like the look of them because they have low bass and alot of mids which means there will be alot of clarity.

I am also wondering is 330mV enough output for some good old squeals??????

thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-27-2003, 03:59 AM

Re: Double Whammy???

Quote:
Originally Posted by freak
I am also wondering is 330mV enough output for some good old squeals??????
I can get squeals out of my Humbucker from Hell, so I'd think output wouldn't be a problem.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-27-2003, 05:03 PM

I think Satch's FREDs are around 330mV, and he certainly gets some nice squeals out of his guitar.
post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-27-2003, 07:20 PM

I once wrote to Dimarzio about the DW and they told me that it is still available but they believe the TZ is an improvment from the DW. I guess you may not notice a difference but I know the TZ rocks in pretty much any guitar so I assume the DW would too.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-28-2003, 12:41 PM Thread Starter

they told me to use TZ too!!!! but it has to much bass for my liking
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-28-2003, 07:55 PM

I don't suppose that there's any way they'd make me a 7 string Humbucker from Hell, is there?
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-29-2003, 07:15 AM Thread Starter

Dimarzio said they don't do custom orders. So they probably would'nt try e-mailing them. If there is enough demand they will probably make one!!!!!
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-29-2003, 01:46 PM Thread Starter

I just ordered the double Whammy today. If they have one in stock I should have it in a week or 2.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-18-2004, 05:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by freak
I just ordered the double Whammy today. If they have one in stock I should have it in a week or 2.
A week or 2 (I am the same guy my computer just messed up)

It just in today!! I will wire it up annd put a review on here for all of you
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-18-2004, 02:12 PM

I have just played it a bit.

In full mode. (my switch is broken so I can't use the split or parralel mode ) Think of a TZ. Think of all the bad points and get rid of them!! I love it for rhythm it has great snap and snarl!! I don't particularly like it for lead though it seems to be missing in the higher mids and treble to make a good lead sound.

Unlike its TZ cousin this is suprinzingly less bassy even though dimarzio say there is a small difference. I normally find the TZ muddy but in this case it is not, the bass has character and is not overly flabby. The treble is quite weak. It is just enough for crushing rhythm parts (particularly Megadeth) but has too little to do those 'widdley' bits!! I am going to try losing the tone knob to see if it brings it up a notch but it will have to be a BIG difference. The mid range on this is huge it isn't the vocal like sound you get from Freds/Nortons though. It isn't very complex either, its just basic mids!!! I assume this must be a non-dual resonance pickup because of it. Also its not like the mids you get out of an amp it is very fluid and has immense clarity.

Output wise the site says 330mV but it seems to be slightly higher than that I haven't measured it though. It is a little hard to do pinches on (but I am used to EMGs) I can't remember if it has an Alnico or ceramic magnet??? I am pretty sure its ceramic. If it is Alnico I might change it to ceramic for a bit more treble.

All in all it is a great pickup through my Marshall (DSL) it makes those lovely Van Halen sound (it seems to be more similar to the OEM Peaveys and MMs than the TZ as well!!) especailly for the Fair Warning era sound. Also I have got some pleasing Santana/Al Di Meola sounds out of it too. IMO this is great pickup for those powerchord riffs and basic all round rock rhythm but it lacks scream for solos, I would take this over a TZ anyday of the week it also puts my EMGs to shame. I think I am going to sell them now!!! I will probably end up getting a Norton/Paf style pickup next for the bridge. This pickup is great but isnot 'the one' for me.

Freak

Tags
van halen

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode