Drop tuning pickup - Jemsite
Pickups & wiring Discussion about pickup types, replacements, recomendations, switching, wiring diagrams and sustainer systems for ANY guitar, JEMs included.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-03-2003, 12:08 PM Thread Starter

Drop tuning pickup

Ive just snapped up a kramer imperial (aswell as my jem...I ordered 2 guitars in one day ) for $149 as i needed something with a fixed bridge for drop tuning. I know the quad rails aren't up to the task, as they go muddy so Im gonna change em out. What would you guys reccomend for a pickup that could handle some seriously low tuings?(just a bridge one; im getting rid of the neck pickup). Im after heavy raw tone so gimmie your suggestions! Thanks alot!

-better shred than dead-ANDY
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-03-2003, 12:23 PM

It was suggested to me by Tom Anderson that for drop-tuning, pickups with a medium-output vintage voice work best. Really hot pickups get overloaded too easily and turn everything to mud.

Try a Duncan '59 or JB, a DiMarzio PAF or an Anderson H2.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-03-2003, 01:29 PM

gibson 500t (with 1 meg pots)
emg hz 4
post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-03-2003, 01:40 PM

Check out the Dimarzio DropSonic. They made it for drop tunings. I've played a guitar with one in it and I thought it sounded pretty good.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-05-2003, 02:14 PM Thread Starter

ordered the dropsonic It will be here tomorrow morning along with the kramer thanks guys!
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-05-2003, 02:26 PM

Right on. I really should go pick one up for my Brian Moore.
Let us know what you think of it when you get it going.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-06-2003, 04:38 AM Thread Starter

weeellll....the pickups here...

However the guitar isnt. I need my kramer! grrrrr Fed Ex Well ill let you know how it sounds when its in....
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-09-2003, 07:31 AM Thread Starter

Dimarzio dropsonic review.... Well; very nice it is too. It can handle seriously low tunings without muddying up (ive had it in standard B). It doesnt seem to inclined to produce loads of gain and distortion, but the sheer force of the tuning rectifies that. Ive had it coil tapped with a push-pull pot to the side of the pickup with the pole pieces, and that produces a totally acceptable warm, clean tone. It gets one and a half thumbs up; very very good, just not amazing.
Its gone into my new kramer and im soon to have the neck pickup hole filled and the old switch/tone controll holes filled, and then the whole thing resprayed in the loverly nuclear yellow . Heres a picture of the kramer before its mods, for those who havnt seen it...

And if you want one there on offer for $150 USD on www.musicyo.com at the momnet....BARGIN! cos there f***ing brillinat!

post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-22-2003, 06:00 AM

Reviews: 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jammy
Dimarzio dropsonic review.... Well; very nice it is too. It can handle seriously low tunings without muddying up (ive had it in standard B). It doesnt seem to inclined to produce loads of gain and distortion, but the sheer force of the tuning rectifies that. Ive had it coil tapped with a push-pull pot to the side of the pickup with the pole pieces, and that produces a totally acceptable warm, clean tone. It gets one and a half thumbs up; very very good, just not amazing.
Its gone into my new kramer and im soon to have the neck pickup hole filled and the old switch/tone controll holes filled, and then the whole thing resprayed in the loverly nuclear yellow .

hahaha, good how if you pay for something it clouds your judgement aint it boyo?

My verdict:
Looks great, sounds rubbish, plays crap.

But a thorough thorough thorough setup might be its saving grace.

Tags
brian moore , clean tone , coil tap , dimarzio paf , fixed bridge , meg pot , neck pickup

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode