The Duncan 59/Jazz hybrid - some thoughts - Jemsite
Pickups & wiring Discussion about pickup types, replacements, recomendations, switching, wiring diagrams and sustainer systems for ANY guitar, JEMs included.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 2 (permalink) Old 04-21-2012, 11:12 PM Thread Starter

Cool The Duncan 59/Jazz hybrid - some thoughts

Well, since I got my RS525, I had to start thinking about a replacement neck pu. I've liked hybrid pups ever since I made one from some Ibanez pups I had lying around - the presence, harmonics, crispiness, and 3Dish qualities sold me on the idea.

So, I got a used Jazz and 59, and swapped the slug coils, keeping the stock polished A5. This guitar has push/push pots for series/parallel. I'm playing through a Marshall 50w AVT and treble booster.

For me, the Jazz/59 hybrid is the donkey's bollock$. In series, it's got just enough syrupyness to state its claim as a neck pu, but with more presence, overtones, and spontaneity, for want of a better term - lots of character. Now it's possible to play open chords under gain and still hear them. In parallel, it's snorting, rude, and has lots of clang, like something between a Strat pu and a P90 - I nearly flipped out when I first switched to this setting.

On clean, it's very balanced sounding. Overall, it's restored my faith in neck humbuckers - many don't sound bright enough to me, and I do prefer singles in the neck, but this thing is very nice indeed. While the 59/Custom is now in production, you'll have to make this one yourself if you want it. For me it was very much worthwhile - killer neck pu with a lively articulate tone.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 (permalink) Old 04-22-2012, 02:58 AM

Reviews: 120
Re: The Duncan 59/Jazz hybrid - some thoughts

Nice!

I've just reviewed the 59/Custom Hybrid, and it's a very nice pickup. Hybrids are pretty cool.

Tags
duncan jazz/59 hybrid , rs525

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode