Duncan Distortion VS Dimarzio Distortion? What's the difference in output and EQ? - Jemsite
Pickups & wiring Discussion about pickup types, replacements, recomendations, switching, wiring diagrams and sustainer systems for ANY guitar, JEMs included.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-04-2013, 02:15 PM Thread Starter

Reviews: 7
Duncan Distortion VS Dimarzio Distortion? What's the difference in output and EQ?

Hey guys..

I've had both the Dimarzio and Duncan Distortion, but it's been awhile since I've listened to either in a guitar, and don't have either in a current guitar. Back in the day, I liked the Duncan Distortion because I thought it had a better treble sound, and was hot, but didn't seem to me to be so buzzy or compressed as the Dimarzio, but I ended up throwing that out the window when I had the Dimarzio Super 3 in another guitar, and a standard Distortion from Dimarzio in a Washburn. It seems the guitar of course makes a huge difference. It seems to me that the Dimarzio has more output and bite, yet not as much Treble. I normally for instance think the Duncan JB has way too much treble except in dark guitars like the LP, etc,. But, the Duncan Distortion has a cool treble..

What do you folks prefer and why?
Have you had both and if so, what is you're opinion on both?
Thanks so much..

Tim
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-08-2013, 06:34 PM

Re: Duncan Distortion VS Dimarzio Distortion? What's the difference in output and EQ?

Duncan Distortion: Way too trebly for clean stuff and soloing, excellent for powerchords. When split, it delivers incredible Paul Gilbert tones.

Super Distortion: Would like to try it again with my new setup. Very versatile, but with a wide range of mid frequencies to the point where it gives me headaches. I used to match it with a Liquifire in the neck.

Just to make it more interesting,

Super 3: Way too dry for rhythm IMO. Great for clean and leads. Reminds me of the Gravity Storm neck and other pickups with Alnico 5 magnet when it comes to sounding full where other pickups become thin and sharp. It's like a ceramic version of the Tone Zone.

Super 2: Thin and clear. It sounds like the best match for the Duncan Distortion. It's like an Evolution with not so much impact but at the same time with a more natural compression.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-10-2013, 04:17 PM

Re: Duncan Distortion VS Dimarzio Distortion? What's the difference in output and EQ?

I had a BC Rich USA with Dimarzio distortions - Best pickups I've ever heard
post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-10-2013, 10:33 PM

just happened that I was just replaced TB 6 Duncan Dist with DMZ Super D on my RGR 570.
I agree with you folks that the TB 6 is too much treble, that's the reason why I'm replacing it.
The Super D is one of my long time fav dimarzio, it's creamy distortion sounds somehow suits better for me.
I can still feel the treble on the super D, but not as bright as the TB6.

on the other hand, try duncan parallel axis trem distortion PATB2B.
it's the only duncan that I'm not going to replace ever.
it's sounds like super 3 but more wet, a little more gain, and singing distortion.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-11-2013, 07:56 AM

Reviews: 17

I just put a TB6 into my RGT42, sounds great! I wouldn't say there's too much treble but maybe its cause the RGT42 is mahogany bodied? Sound thick and full with punch.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-11-2013, 09:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkeel.6 View Post
I had a BC Rich USA with Dimarzio distortions - Best pickups I've ever heard
I agree. They are my fave pickup ever!! I love that I can get late 70's and early 80's super distortions on ebay and CL for 45 bucks Nothing beats that sound for my taste.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-11-2013, 12:08 PM Thread Starter

Reviews: 7

Interesting you folks talk about the DD having too much treble. I had one in a Kramer that had a maple neck and maple body. It was one of those that had the cool graphics. This one had a space graphic with a saturn theme if memory serves me and a OFR, and it sounded good, but too bright. I traded that guitar for two guitars, and wish I'd kept it.
Anyway, I had a Dean Noir I think it was called that had Mahogany body and neck or at least body, and I stuck one in it, the DD that is, and it sounded outstanding! Just perfect. I also had one (DD) in another guitar that was mahogany and it also sounded killer. I think it's according to the guitar wood. When it did sound good, it sounded great too me. I mean it just was killer in that I could turn it down and get that cool PAFish blues tone big time thru a tube amp, or that almost brown sound. Hard to describe. To me it's not as much fizzle or something compared to the Dimarzio. But, I stuck a Dimarzio Distortion in a Strat that had a maple neck and board, and Alder body and it just rocked. I loved it.. So, I guess it's the guitar too huh! I noticed a lot of folks like Dimarzios on here and I do too.. Intersting..

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode