Duncan HSS setup - thoughts & review - Jemsite
Pickups & wiring Discussion about pickup types, replacements, recomendations, switching, wiring diagrams and sustainer systems for ANY guitar, JEMs included.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-03-2012, 03:33 AM Thread Starter

Duncan HSS setup - thoughts & review (clips added)

Well, there are so many people using DiMarzio in Ibanez guitars that to do otherwise is almost sacrilege, but whatever . Some people might find this helpful if they're looking for new pups in their HSS guitar and want something versatile.

I've been loving my Proline since I got it. While the stock pups are good, I was looking for something a bit lower output and less compressed sounding. Some of the mix pup positions (like all three on) weren't very inspiring either, and the middle by itself is a bit bland. After some contemplation and waiting for the right pu to come up for sale used, I outfitted the axe with a 59/Custom in the bridge and SSL2 in neck and middle.

So, the SSLs are Seymour's interpretation of a 50s Strat pu, while the 59/C is a forum bro creation gone into production: '59 screw coil and Custom slug coil with a polished A5 mag. Mine's homemade, as you can make two for the price of one new one.

Off the bat, the humbucker is lower in output than stock, slightly softer end, balanced mids, and crisp top end. Splitting yields a good single coil tone that balances well with the SSLs and doesn't drop the output too much. When I was testing the pu, I had it by itself in the guitar for a few days and thought that it would be ideal for a single pu guitar, owing to its dynamic sensitivity, harmonic content, and highly useable clean.

The single coils are what you'd expect from a nice Strat pu: chimey and rich, fattening up a bit with gain, and great quack mixed. The neck has punchy, piano-like lows and plunky highs, while the middle is a brighter and perfect for rhythm or playing arpeggios, I find myself using it a good bit, actually. Backing off the tone and gets a clarinet/oboe like tone. Don't think I need a Strat .

Some pup combinations sound much better defined, like all three on, which approximates that 'Another Brick in the Wall' clean rhythm tone (or the clean guitar in Queen's 'It's Late'); with gain it's really gnarly and clangy. Neck + bridge give a good Tele-ish tone.

Though the humbucker is twice the resistance of the singles, they're all comparable in output in a playing situation, so there's no drastic output variation when switching.

I guess this setup would be something like 'boosted vintage', as the 59/C is a bit hotter than PAF style. Covers anything from clean to hard rock.

Some clips - guitar into Marshall AVT50 combo, indifferent inbuilt laptop mic.

Clean demo using the clean channel (which I rarely do but it records a bit better). Treble control is maxed out, if you can believe it and bass on 3... Sequence: neck, neck+middle, middle, neck+bridge (split), bridge (split), bridge (full), all three (bridge split).
http://soundcloud.com/lollius-fronto/duncandemo-clean

Dirt demo using the o/d channel (gain on 3) with a Fryer Deluxe treble booster, flat eq. Sequence: neck, middle, bridge (full).
http://soundcloud.com/lollius-fronto/duncandemo-dirt

Last edited by Ashurbanipal; 08-15-2012 at 03:25 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-03-2012, 04:05 AM

Re: Duncan HSS setup - thoughts & review

Nice one! Got any sound clips for us to hear?
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-03-2012, 04:16 AM Thread Starter

I don't have a recording setup as such, but I'll see what I can do.
post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-03-2012, 07:36 AM

Reviews: 120

Love the 59/Custom Hybrid, such an awesome pickup. I got to review it a while back, and was sad when I had to send it back.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-03-2012, 11:36 PM Thread Starter

Two prominent Aussie gear bloggers commenting on my stuff – an honour, to be sure.

Phantom, I've got a spare one left over from when I was making them – Custom screw, 59 slug.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-04-2012, 01:06 AM

Reviews: 120

Ah so you made it too - awesome!!

I've done heaps of different modifications to pickups but pulling apart and combining different coils always freaks me out. With my carpal tunnel, and regular shakes as a result I'm really worried about breaking the coils when pulling them apart.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-04-2012, 02:17 AM

Reviews: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashurbanipal View Post
Well, there are so many people using DiMarzio in Ibanez guitars that to do otherwise is almost sacrilege, but whatever .
Dimarzios do rule this site but there are lots of Duncan users too - the JB & JB jr are still my fave bridge pups - they cut through the mix better than the Dimarzios I've tried (TZ, AZ, EVO)

Sounds like you have a killer set up there - you should post the review on the SSL2 in the reviews section - just a suggestion ;o)
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-15-2012, 03:25 AM Thread Starter

Bump for added clips in first post.

Tags
59/custom hybrid , proline , ssl2

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode