duncan JB in basswood? - Jemsite
Pickups & wiring Discussion about pickup types, replacements, recomendations, switching, wiring diagrams and sustainer systems for ANY guitar, JEMs included.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-27-2003, 02:09 PM Thread Starter

duncan JB in basswood?

I can get a JB cheap,but wanted to know IF it can get the older EVH tones with the right amp in a basswood guitar? I know it is a higher output model,but can it sound classic ala AC/DC,VH,zeppelin,?
and should i use a 250K pot for volume?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-28-2003, 03:39 AM

you can pull off that EVH tone with just about any high output pickup in the market. it's subsequently what you wanna hear more of- treble or bass. also, a high gain amp helps.

JB in a basswood- no problem. the JB isn't that high output as compared to humbuckers like the invader & dimarzio's X2N. you can still get that rounded top if you tweak your EQ. the JB's forte is its midrange, if you are not into this frequency, i suggest the Custom/ Distortion to be a better buy.

do yourself a favour by listening to the JB first. i recommend you listen to Frank Gambale's 'She Knows Me Well' to hear what the JB can do. dark & deep + piercing mids if needs be.
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-28-2003, 07:05 AM
Super Moderator

Reviews: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by germX
do yourself a favour by listening to the JB first. i recommend you listen to Frank Gambale's 'She Knows Me Well' to hear what the JB can do. dark & deep + piercing mids if needs be.
I'm a little curious here, 'cause I thought Frank was a DiMarzio endorser, and I wondered how you knew that this song was a JB? and how long he'd been using this pickup instead of the Super Distortion his FGM100 came with?
post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-28-2003, 10:38 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jono
Quote:
Originally Posted by germX
I'm a little curious here, 'cause I thought Frank was a DiMarzio endorser, and I wondered how you knew that this song was a JB? and how long he'd been using this pickup instead of the Super Distortion his FGM100 came with?
frank is now using duncans
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-28-2003, 11:43 AM
Super Moderator

Reviews: 1
Yes he is, but "she knows me well" is on the album "The Great Explorers" which was recorded in 1993 with the liner notes thanking the folks at DiMarzio.
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-29-2003, 05:54 AM

FG used to have Dimarzio Distortion in his Ibanez then it was Duncan JB subsequently.

to avoid confusion among us, just listen to any of his more current releases, GHS3 would be a good choice. but he's already playing his Yamaha here.

anyway, the gambale reference here isn't quite an accurate recommendation because you'll be hearing mahagony + JB. not basswood.

oh, FG's release 'Coming to Your Senses' had him using his FGM 400, Duncan equipped, but again he thanked Dimarzio in the inlay... found out that he's using Dimarzio's Fast Track models (rail-type single coil sized humbucker) in some of his guitars then...
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-01-2003, 10:23 PM

for the record....

when i was looking for pickups for my RGs, i tried a handful of em. the ones relevant....the duncan distortion..in my opinion......sucks :\ im not sure exactly why i didnt like it, i didnt play with it for very long, but in bass wood it just sounded amazingly thin and trebly. i could have had it wired wrong, not close enough to the strings, like i said i didnt play around with it THAT long. but youre into thin and trebly, its almost a paul gilbert tone only a little thinner.

the tech at my shop (take these words with a grain of salt cuz hes the same jackass that botched my setup) told me that the duncan JB would sound muddy and unmusical at best in basswood. I was also told by the same gentleman that ceramic pickups are all around the best choice to prevent mudding up the basswood.

now with that all said....i say you buy it if its a good enough deal. if you get it in and decide you dont like it you can always post it on the forsale board here. a good deal on a duncan jb will fly out of here im sure
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-01-2003, 10:59 PM

I've recently installed a JB in my UV (basswood) and it sounds great. I much prefer the tone to the Tonezone I had in there previously. It has plenty of clarity, just a different kind to that of the Tonezone - really depends on your amp settings.
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-01-2003, 11:47 PM

I have a JB in my Radius. I like it - it's a little "middy" but not quite "muddy"; a great lead pickup. It's also hot enough to work well split with the top half of a IBZUSA C2. It wouldn't be my choice for a clean bridge bucker sound, but I never use that anyway.
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-08-2003, 07:50 PM
RGN

I have been playing the JB for about 10 years (before that I played a LP with stock pickups) and think it sounds great in basswood, maple, and alder. Right now, I am very fond of the Custom Custom and think it is about the best pickup ever. It is just amazing for leads. I would highly recommend you check out the Custom Custom. The JB and CC are very similar but the CC seems to have more of everything I like about the JB. Really, a terrific pickup.
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-09-2003, 03:51 AM

i hear you about the CC. this is simply a good performer, it even makes cheapo units sound good. have one in my GAX.

however, about the CC sounding like the JB- IMO, the JB still has more mids.
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-04-2011, 04:37 PM

Re: duncan JB in basswood?

the jb sounds KILLER in my gibson SG...

It is the perfect pick-up as far as I'm concerned, maybe a BIT trebly but over-all absolutely terrific for music ranging from blues/classic rock to downright dirty thrash metal. Buy it.

edit : I have heard the SD Custom Custom is amazing as well, haven't put one in a guitar.

I have an emg 81 in the bridge of 1 of my prestiges and the other prestige is stock with ibz/dimarzio pick-ups.

The EMG 81 sounds KILLER whereas the Dimarzio / IBZ stock-pickups were adequate at best.

Last edited by ozzeh; 06-04-2011 at 05:47 PM.
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-04-2011, 06:25 PM

Reviews: 120
Re: duncan JB in basswood?

Nice thread resurrection!

Tags
amp settings , basswood guitar , duncan distortion , frank gambale , high gain amp , output pickup , paul gilbert , super distortion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode