Duncan Jb or Dimarzio Evo 2 - Jemsite
Pickups & wiring Discussion about pickup types, replacements, recomendations, switching, wiring diagrams and sustainer systems for ANY guitar, JEMs included.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-24-2012, 09:42 PM Thread Starter

Duncan Jb or Dimarzio Evo 2

Hi, I'm restoring an old washburn kc-70v and I need some help with the pickups. I've got two options: a Dimarzio Evo 2 and a Seymour Duncan JB.
The guitar's got an alder body, rosewood fingerboard and a floyd rose bridge, I plan on playing mostly metal on it, but also some jazz and blues regularly, also the dimarzio pickup is 50% cheaper than the JB.

I'm changing the stock bridge pickup because I think it lacks some balls (sorry about that, couldn't find other word to describe it), also I play through a laney amp (Lx 35) with a zoom g7 pedal.

Thanks in advance

Last edited by MrGvd71; 01-24-2012 at 09:55 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-24-2012, 10:40 PM

Re: Duncan Jb or Dimarzio Evo 2

The Evo 2 is my favourite bridge pickup, it's like a regular Evolution with less output, treble and resistance (whick makes it more open sounding), but with more mids. I only wish it had the same output as the original Evolution.

As for the JB, I had it installed in my no longer main axe during a period when my preamp was kind of scooped, so I'd rather not compare. I only remember they're very similar.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-25-2012, 01:23 AM

Reviews: 2

idk the evo 2, but if its as typhon described, id prefer the JB.
post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-25-2012, 01:56 AM

Reviews: 120

I personally love the Tone Zone in that combo of woods, bridge, etc.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-25-2012, 01:57 AM

Based on the material you're playing, I'd go JB.

The JB is easily one of my favorite bridge pickups. It's certainly not the most articulate thing in the world, but it definitely has "balls" to spare.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-25-2012, 01:48 PM

Reviews: 10

I love JBs...but I haven't tried the evo2...but I have evos in my Jem and I'm not big on them - too hot and a little harsh...but I've heard good things about the evo2...if the evo2 is 1/2 the price of the JB I think I would go with the evo2 becasue they are both good pups so I'd save the $ and go with the evo2
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-25-2012, 04:30 PM Thread Starter

Thanks a lot for helping me out, I think I'll go with the Evo 2 and save some money to continue restoring the guitar (:
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-25-2012, 04:43 PM

In case you have cash to burn, apparently the Bare Knuckle Painkiller smokes both.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-25-2012, 04:53 PM

JB is GREAT pickup in alder guitars.

Tags
dimarzio evo 2 , seymour duncan jb , washburn kc-70v

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode