Duncan JB in mahogany - Jemsite
Pickups & wiring Discussion about pickup types, replacements, recomendations, switching, wiring diagrams and sustainer systems for ANY guitar, JEMs included.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-18-2005, 08:58 AM Thread Starter

Duncan JB or 59 in mahogany?

I need a bridge pickup for my RG2027 (mahogany body). I'm deciding between the SD JB and the DiMar<zio Blaze. I was thinking about the Seymour Duncan JB: basically, it has the same eq curve as the Blaze. It would be nice to try out a Duncan, but I'm afraid of regretting it...what are your opinions on DiMarzio vs Duncan (in general) and on the Duncan JB? Is it possible to combine a DiMarzio Air Norton and a Duncan JB?
Thanks!

Last edited by Pesso; 01-20-2005 at 04:51 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-18-2005, 10:04 AM

Re: Duncan JB in mahogany

I really like the JB-7 in my mahogany-bodied seven-string. I haven't used the Blaze, so i can't really compare. I tend to prefer Duncans over DiMarzios, for reasons i cannot fully explain. But i can tell you that the JB-7 rocks in mahogany. It's possible to combine an Air Norton and JB, but why not go for an all-Duncan setup? I have a '59-7 in the neck, which is also a great pickup, but it tends to get a little bassy at times, so if i were to buy again, i'd go for the Jazz-7.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-18-2005, 05:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by darren wilson
I really like the JB-7 in my mahogany-bodied seven-string. I haven't used the Blaze, so i can't really compare. I tend to prefer Duncans over DiMarzios, for reasons i cannot fully explain. But i can tell you that the JB-7 rocks in mahogany.
I second this. The JB in mahogany is stellar.

Pesso, I like your idea. I think the JB might pair up VERY well with the AN. It'd be intruging to hear how it sounds. it would work fine, too, apart from the two companies using different wiring codes. But that wouldn't affect performance as long as they were both wired up correctly with that in mind.
post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-18-2005, 05:20 PM

I could be wrong here but a buddy of mine put a JB and 59 in his 2027 and had to drill out extra wood to create more depth for the magnets. Not a difficult thing to do, but apparently it wasn't a drop in replacement. Just FYI.

Sounded great by the way.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-20-2005, 04:51 AM Thread Starter

I just talked with the guitar tech at my local store: he strongly reccomends me a Seymour Duncan 59 in the bridge position. He is very into this pickup, he says that it's the best for that clarity I'm looking for. Now I'm really confused....Any comments on this pickup?
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-20-2005, 05:52 AM Thread Starter

And there is another issue: I need a bridge pickup with the same (or nearly the same) output of the Steve's Special in my 6-strings, because I swap guitars during shows, and it would be difficult to adjust the volume on the amp at every change. So: do the 59 and the JB have an output comparable to the Steve's Special? The Steve's Special ha the same putput as the Blaze....so the question becomes: do the 59 and the JB have an output comparable to the Blaze?
The SS has 390mV, but the Duncan site doesn't tells you the millivolts, there's only a chart...
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-20-2005, 05:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pesso
I just talked with the guitar tech at my local store: he strongly reccomends me a Seymour Duncan 59 in the bridge position. He is very into this pickup, he says that it's the best for that clarity I'm looking for. Now I'm really confused....Any comments on this pickup?
NO. I had a friend with the '59 in the bridge of a mahogany Les Paul... if you like the Steve's Special sound, you will NOT get it from this pickup. I would say as a neck pup it's pretty nice... one of my favorites. But in the bridge? Weak, underpowered, and lifeless are how I would describe the sound. No harmonics, no cut, no power and punch. It has a mellow quality that is pretty, and would probably work great for jazz, but a definite, emphatic no for metal and/or rock.

My opinion.

As for output, Steve's Special/Blaze output would be comparable to SD JB. Both are high output bridge humbuckers. Exact millivolts isn't as important as to what market/use the pups are intended. Both are intended for cutting, smooth sounds in high-gain rock. The '59 is WOEFULLY short. In the aformentioned Les Paul, I'd say the '59 in the bridge was a full 1/4 to 1/2 QUIETER than the stock neck pups. Not good.

BTW, I also have a 2027, and I have the Blaze Bridge. Never been happier with a bridge pickup, whether I've owned it, or played it. Only thing close is the Duncan JB (which is a tie in my book).
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-21-2005, 08:01 AM Thread Starter

Yeah, that was what I was afraid of, the 59 could be a too vintage-sounding pickup....to be honest, I'm leaning toward the initial idea of the Blaze...

Tags
air norton , blaze bridge , bridge hum , bridge humbucker , bridge pickup , bridge position , darren wilson , dimarzio air , dimarzio air norton , guitar tech , les paul , mahogany body , neck pup , seymour duncan

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode