Duncan pickup rewiring, need help. - Jemsite
Pickups & wiring Discussion about pickup types, replacements, recomendations, switching, wiring diagrams and sustainer systems for ANY guitar, JEMs included.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-15-2003, 12:34 PM Thread Starter

Duncan pickup rewiring, need help.

My imported Jackson has two Duncan design humbuckers, one volume, one tone, and a 3-way. I want to get rid of the tone pot.

Question is, I've read that the thin little green wire from the pickup lead is supposed to be a ground, and the big thick black one is supposed to be a ground. In my guitar, the little green wires are soldered to the pickup selector, and the big thick black wires are both soldered to the bottom of the tone knob, as a ground I suppose. There's also a black wire seperate from the 4-wire lead of each pickup which are grounded. Anyone see what I'm confused about?

I did get a schematic from the Duncan website, but it didn't help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-17-2003, 01:20 PM Thread Starter

Anyone? I know someone out there has to have a clue what I'm talking about.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-17-2003, 03:20 PM

Re: Duncan pickup rewiring, need help.

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitarkatana
My imported Jackson has two Duncan design humbuckers, one volume, one tone, and a 3-way. I want to get rid of the tone pot.
when you say "get rid," do you mean just remove from the circuit, or do you mean rip the pot out?

to remove the tone control from the circuit, all you have to do is cut or desolder the wire going from the tone pot lug to the volume control [sometimes, instead of the volume control it goes to the pickup selector switch hot]. you will get a slightly brighter sound, since even turned all the way up, the tone control bleeds off a small amount of high end.

Quote:
Question is, I've read that the thin little green wire from the pickup lead is supposed to be a ground, and the big thick black one is supposed to be a ground. In my guitar, the little green wires are soldered to the pickup selector, and the big thick black wires are both soldered to the bottom of the tone knob, as a ground I suppose. There's also a black wire seperate from the 4-wire lead of each pickup which are grounded. Anyone see what I'm confused about?
i don't know anything about Duncan Designed, only regular Duncans, but like all other 4 conductor pickups i've ever worked with, they have one big black cable that contains 4 shielded colored wires all the same size and one bare ground wire. they do not have a big thick black wire, unless you mean the big cable that contains the 4 smaller wires.

are you sure that the extra wires are coming from the pickups themselves, and not other wires coming through the same holes in the guitar that might be connected to something else? there is usually a wire that grounds the bridge, which on a trem guitar is often soldered to the spring claw in the back. there may be wires grounding the shielding paint in some of the other cavities -- my old 540S7 has a separate ground wire for each pickup cavity. there will also be a ground wire going to the output jack [it may sometimes be the bare shield of a shielded cable that is running the hot signal].

anything soldered to the casing of a pot is a ground wire. the best way to ground guitar wiring is to solder all the grounds to the same point, usually the back of the volume pot. this "star grounding" is not often done on cheaper production guitars, where they solder to the back of whatever pot is closest. thus, it is possible that pickups and other things are grounded to the back of your tone pot. if they are and you wnat to remove the pot, just unsolder them and resolder them to the back of the volume pot. be careful, it will take a lot of solder heat, a maybe up to several minutes touching the iron to the pot, to solder or desolder from a chunk of metal as large as a pot.

does this help?
post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-17-2003, 03:51 PM Thread Starter

Yep, that helps. I've done some reading upon this elsewhere too. It all makes sense now, and is quite simple. Thanks a lot!
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-17-2003, 05:36 PM

Quote:
It all makes sense now, and is quite simple.
like Gandalf says [in the book at least, no thanks to peter jackson]: "any riddle is simple once you know the answer!"
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-17-2003, 10:45 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott of Actual Time
in the book at least, no thanks to peter jackson
Are you bad mouthing Peter Jackson? Cause if you are, I may have to beat you !

Joking.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-18-2003, 12:05 PM

Quote:
Are you bad mouthing Peter Jackson? Cause if you are, I may have to beat you !
well, he's done a pretty good job [the best tolkien movies ever made! ], but in places he departed from the books completely unnecessarily [that riddle line, Faramir, etc].

Tags
duncan designed , pickup cavity , pickup selector switch , trem guitar

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode