Duncan Slash Alnico 2 Pro's in an RG920? - Jemsite
Pickups & wiring Discussion about pickup types, replacements, recomendations, switching, wiring diagrams and sustainer systems for ANY guitar, JEMs included.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-31-2013, 07:44 AM Thread Starter

Duncan Slash Alnico 2 Pro's in an RG920?

Not trying to make it sound like a Les Paul, but considering the possibility of picking up another RG920 next year, and was wondering how a more vintage sounding pickup would sound in these guitars. I had them in a Les Paul once and thought they sounded killer.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-01-2014, 06:28 AM

Re: Duncan Slash Alnico 2 Pro's in an RG920?

That's basswood and maple, right? One of my favourite combinations. That'd be awesome.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-01-2014, 10:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunner4Life View Post
Not trying to make it sound like a Les Paul, but considering the possibility of picking up another RG920 next year, and was wondering how a more vintage sounding pickup would sound in these guitars. I had them in a Les Paul once and thought they sounded killer.
They would be pretty good. It's just some screws and a few dots of solder.
Go for it!
post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-01-2014, 10:55 AM

They are great pickups.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-01-2014, 12:05 PM Thread Starter

I asked people on the Duncan forum as well, they said RG's typically don't marry well with lower output pickups, some else said that putting Breeds in it, and not cranking the volume knob up would sound better.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-01-2014, 12:28 PM

Quote:
They will be just fine in a superstrat in 2014. Hear me out:

While it's a proven theory that the trusty EMG 81, Duncan Distortion, Duncan JB, and DiMarzio Super Distortion are a good hot pickup for heavy metal in the typical heavy metal superstrat, you can also get heavy sounds from weaker pickups, too.

Other than loading up on the magnet and winds to get more output, you can actually increase sustain with less output and fewer winds and coupled with a powerful amp, you can also get a similar monstrous sound. The overall effect will be the same whether you have a powerful ceramic magnet to get a hot sound or get there by turning up an amp with a weaker pickup with less magnetic pull. Side by side most hard rock classics will sound the same if you put it through a Marshall half stack cranked up.

The Duncan alnico pro II has the added benefit of being equally at home in a full hollowbody as the cleans are better than a Duncan Distortion or DiMarzio Super Distortion.

I say go for it unless you have a 20 watt practice amp like me. I also play Marshall stacks (and have access to drummer's 30 guitars ranging from vintage pickups to EMG 81s) so I use the amp to metal anything up as long as it's not a full hollowbody subject to feedback. With big amp, it's just a matter of changing volume settings but you can rock out with a Floyded superstrat and Slash pickups. Trust me, you won't know the difference. Don't listen to any ridiculousness that the Alnicos can't handle modern metal or the high octane Floyds and divebombs. It's a pickup in a solidbody and six strings are being ported into an amp with a speaker and as long as you have enough wattage, the Slash pickups will get you there.

If you don't have enough umph with Slash on Floyds, get the Tube Screamer!

Last edited by 63Blazer; 01-01-2014 at 12:47 PM.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-01-2014, 12:30 PM

Exactly.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-01-2014, 01:17 PM Thread Starter

I play through a Carvin 100 watt solid state head, and a Digitech RP255, the amp itself doesn't have much in the gain/distortion department, bought the Digitech because of that.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-01-2014, 05:48 PM

Quote:
I play through a Carvin 100 watt solid state head, and a Digitech RP255, the amp itself doesn't have much in the gain/distortion department, bought the Digitech because of that.
100 watts with your Carvin is more than enough to bring up any deficiencies of the Slash pickups. Besides the Marshall JCMs I use, I also used a Marshall MOSFET 100 watt solid state head which did the job and it's most likely very similar to your Carvin.

I think maybe if you played a Slash equipped git side by side with a soildbody with the DiMarzio Super Distortion, the Slash pickups may seem weaker, but then turn up the volume and you will get the same basic ground shaking sound (as most 100 watt amps are capable of).

You may lack some midrange from the Slash or similar vintage PAF arrangement but then there's the midrange knob on most amps to account for that.

That being said I wouldn't try and think a Slash pickups and a Fender Champ with a distortion pedal will give the exact same effect as those pickups through 100 watts turned up. At least the Slash pickups are full sized humbuckers and they are not vintage single coil strat pickups so you will get the growl most likely associated with humbuckers when you turn up the Slash humbuckers. Don't let the numbers of the weaker Slash pickups, or standard PAFs fool you into thinking they can't handle distortion or Floyds.

Tags
alnico 2 pro , duncan

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode