duncans in a RG? - Jemsite
Pickups & wiring Discussion about pickup types, replacements, recomendations, switching, wiring diagrams and sustainer systems for ANY guitar, JEMs included.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-25-2003, 10:58 AM Thread Starter

duncans in a RG?

I know RG's can be very finiky about what pups sound the best in them(basswood body, very thin neck,locking trem)normally i would use a set of dimarzio's but i want this new RG to have duncans? i was told that the best one for the bridge is the duncan TB 5 custom? along with a 59 in the neck?
all opinions will be considered
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-27-2003, 04:04 AM

My RG570 has a Lil'59 in the neck (to go with the Sustainiac) and a '59 Trembucker in the bridge, and sounds quite decent. Could do with a little more oomph in the bridge; at some point I might swap to a Custom 5 or similar.
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-28-2003, 08:13 PM

I get great results with the following Duncans in my RG 1550: Distortion (N)/ Screamin’ Demon (B). I had this guitar set up for high gain & they deliver! Traditionally, one would opt for a high output unit in the bridge as oppossed to the medium output Demon in mine, but I did not wish for my tone to lose its inherent qualities, so the Demon made my day. As I solo in the neck, my natural option would be a high output, clear, unit in the neck & the Distortion was a natural choice.

Howeve, IMO, nothing matches Duncan’s Full Shred (which I have in my S540) when it comes to clarity at high gain in the neck. my reason for having the Distortion in the 1550 was an attempt to be different.

Many players would advocate for the dimarzio-ibanez pairing, I do have dimarzios in my other RG but the Duncan appeals in terms of high gain clarity. Duncan-wise, many would recommend a bass-inclined unit to make up for the floating vibrato compromise, especially for ibanez guitars sporting a basswood body. My take on this would be to read as much as possible on the Duncans you wish to acquire & go with the one you think would serve you well.

I was bent on getting the Distortion Trembucker for my 1550 as this unit proved to be a successful complement to floating vibrato equipped guitars. But a day before my shopping spree, I read Geroge Lynch’s take on his Screamin’ Demon which he said complements light bodied guitars well. I never looked back…

Enough rant already, hope this helps…
post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-01-2003, 01:12 AM

There's no reason that you can't use duncans in an RG.

Jsut pick one that will suit you. The Screamin Demon is a medium output pup which for me is a good thing.Th JB is a bit hotter and has more mids.The Custom is hotter than the demon and has tighter low end, and the typical crisp/sharp high end.

Ceramic magnets tend to have very sharp high end so oyu might want to stick with alnico 5 based pups if you prefer rounder sound like most dimarzios have.
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-01-2003, 04:53 PM

I had duncans in my RG570. JB in the bridge and Jazz in the neck.

I would never go the Jazz again but I think the 59 might be a good combo with the JB.

I no longer use duncans because they are ridiculously priced here in Australia. I now use the Tone Zone. But if I had to compare them, the TZ is much hotter and has scooped mids. The JB is not as hot but has much more midrange. Persoanally I think the JB is a great pickup if you are not getting into that heavy prog metal sound.

If duncans were the same price as dimarzio's I'd be using them.

I think another great pickup would be the Duncan Distortion.

Tony
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-01-2003, 05:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanchez
I had duncans in my RG570. JB in the bridge and Jazz in the neck.

I would never go the Jazz again but I think the 59 might be a good combo with the JB.

I no longer use duncans because they are ridiculously priced here in Australia. I now use the Tone Zone. But if I had to compare them, the TZ is much hotter and has scooped mids. The JB is not as hot but has much more midrange. Persoanally I think the JB is a great pickup if you are not getting into that heavy prog metal sound.

If duncans were the same price as dimarzio's I'd be using them.

I think another great pickup would be the Duncan Distortion.

Tony
Actually, that's backwards. The Tone Zone has TONS of mids, and the JB is scooped.
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-01-2003, 09:20 PM

Woops. That's what I meant.
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-01-2003, 11:03 PM

despite having loads of mids, i can't hear it from the tone zone. it didn't work in my RG/ S-series guitars. despite what the manufacturer claimed, you'll know if a certain humbucker suits your guitar when it's finally in your guitar.

despite being tagged as a midrange inclined unit, the Duncan JB actually has excess of treble.
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-01-2003, 11:53 PM

Exactly. I've heard one live a couple of times, and both times, and in the sample clips on Duncan's website, it struck me as shrill. I reckon it'd be pretty good in a Paul-style, all-mahogany, 24 5/8" guitar, but in anything else, it just sounds too nasal to me.
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-03-2003, 08:33 AM

thought i show you guys my 1550 + Duncans...

post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-03-2003, 01:52 PM

That's pretty ugly.

I'm just kidding. That's a really nice looking guitar. I really like the pickguards on the RGs. What I don't like about Duncan pickups (aesthetically) is the big "Seymour Duncan" logo on them. I used a pocket knife to scratch the logo off of my Jazz 7.
post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-05-2003, 04:32 PM

Just dropped a SD custom in a 570EX ..i play through an ENGL Powerball & Marshall cab (V30s & H30s).

AWESOME. great crunch ..great chunk

just playing some old school stuff, Y&T ,MSG, and its all there... tight low end... good open highs.

, really glad i tried one of these would recommend it ..not honky like a JB!... in comparison its scooped... but handles loaded mids and minimal mids very musically. no harshness (ditched 311 cap and replaced vol pot with 500K CTS...may have had something to do with change ..unsure)

PAF PRO is neck still ..and balances well...but may try an SD Jazz now !!!

(a SD convert or something... maybe!!!!!!!who knows ..!!!)
post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-07-2003, 03:25 AM

I have a bunch of friends here who have the Duncan Custom in their RGs as well. They work great (superb IMO, Iíve heard them in use through Marshalls/ Peaveys) but if you are Dimarzio inclined, Duncans can be too bright to your likingÖ
post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-07-2003, 05:49 PM

My major beef with Duncans is that most of them are pretty scooped and trebly, which is typically not at all what I'm looking for. I like a very mid-heavy pickup that's slightly darker, so I can crank up the treble and presence on the pre-EQ and amp to get that good sizzle and extra gain without sounding harsh or thin. It also allows you to slightly scoop out the mids after distortion without sounding weak, which can occur with a scooped pickup.
post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-08-2003, 01:07 AM

I was using a Distortion for awhile, I liked it but I switched it to another guitar.

Tags
basswood body , duncan distortion , duncan pickups , engl powerball , equipped guitar , ibanez guitars , paf pro , scooped mids , seymour duncan , tone zone

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode