EMG Passive pickups - Jemsite
Pickups & wiring Discussion about pickup types, replacements, recomendations, switching, wiring diagrams and sustainer systems for ANY guitar, JEMs included.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-11-2005, 08:51 PM Thread Starter

Reviews: 120
EMG Passive pickups

I'm looking at getting some EMG passive pickups on my current RG470, and an RG370 when I buy it later this month. I want to replace the pickups with EMGs, but cannot afford the actives for both so looking at the passive range.

What are people's thoughts on the following:

EMG-H4: For bridge position on both - supposed to be the passive equivilant to the EMG81 - edgy aggresive tone

EMG-S4: replace the woeful noisy single coil on both

EMG-H4A: replace neck position on both - fuller bluesier tones

Well that's what I'm hoping anyway.

Thanks again for all your help
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-12-2005, 08:00 PM

Re: EMG Passive pickups

you might be able to afford the actives if you don't buy single coils for both. IMO the single coils are worthless (took me 60$ for an hs2 to find that out).
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-12-2005, 08:25 PM Thread Starter

Yeah I've been looking at the EMG Zakk Wylde pickup sets, they aren't too expensive and I can always get singles later on. The set it an EMG81, and EMG85, which is what I was looking at in the active range.
post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-12-2005, 10:51 PM

Thumbs up Re: EMG Passive pickups

Yeah if you are wanting emgs, actives are the only way to go. You just can't get that cut through sound with the passive models. Trust me, bridge/neck pickups are way more important than the middle. Also what i reccomend to most people is when you change pickups, you might want to change the wiring to your liking.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-13-2005, 03:25 AM Thread Starter

yeah I think I've decided, two sets out Zakk Wylde EMGs for my axes, 81 in the bridge position and the 85 in the neck. Hopefully I'll be getting the 370 next month and then get the pickups.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-13-2005, 08:57 AM

Are you going to modify your 470 anymore? Instead of getting a 370, you may want to upgrade your trem to an original floyd rose. Unless it was one of the 470s that came equipped with an edge.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-13-2005, 03:19 PM Thread Starter

I probably will mod it some more. Been thinking about replacing the trem. I'm getting the 370 because I need a backup axe for gigs. My bands almost to the point of playing live, and from what I can see the 370 is closest to my 470 in terms of specs that I can afford in the style I want (RG series with double locking trem). Both will be modded a bit.

I'm going for another RG as they feel comfortable and it's like picking up an old friend. Everythings where I know it will be, and I don't know if it's just me, but are the wizard necks even thinner than they used to be. I've tried out a few guitars and the RGs just feel like home as soon as I pick them up.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-13-2005, 05:31 PM

Just one thing..........the new 370s have the edge pro 2 bridge which can not be swapped for any other floyd. Keep that in mind. May want to go with a used RG5** series. They are about 250-350.

Last edited by Kontalonis; 01-13-2005 at 05:37 PM.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-13-2005, 06:21 PM Thread Starter

Reading on jemsite though it seems that the Edge Pro II bridge is supposed to be ok. I'm not going to need to change it I don't think anyway. Maybe just put a hipshot tremsetter in it and should be right.

The 370 would be my main axe live (seeing as the 470's lo-trs is getting a bit old). The 470 might even me set up so the trem is no longer floating as I'm considering replacing the trs with an original floyd style trem so I can use a d-tuner on it. I'm planning a few songs in drop d tuning for my band so I want the 470 to be in drop d tuning, and capable of quickly switching to standard tuning if I break a string on the 370. I want to use the same pickup setup on both axes though to keep the same sound.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-13-2005, 06:33 PM

Ok well that makes sense. I still reccomend getting an RG 570 or 550 or even 520. They have the original edge trem which is one of the best floyds ever made. They also have the original wizard neck unlike the 370 which has a wizard II. There are plenty on that little auction site that we all know
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-13-2005, 09:26 PM Thread Starter

yeah i'm in Australia and not many here, and can't really afford to ship from overseas. Thats's why the 370 is a fairly attractive option. I haven't specifically played the 370, but I played a couple RG's spec'ed a bit higher and lower than the 370 with the Wizard II neck and found it to be a nice playing neck.

I'm not too concerned about it being a little thicker than the original wizard as I'm not much of a speedy player anymore. I've only just seriously been picking up the guitar again for the past year after not really touching it too often for around 3 or 4 years.

Saying that,if I found a nice second hand 500 series RG at around the same price I'd probably pick it up. I'd say that the 370 will be pretty sweet after a setup and fret dress if needed.

Tags
bridge position , edge trem , floyd rose , hipshot tremsetter , neck pickup , neck pickups , neck position , zakk wylde

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode