EMG pickup installation trouble - Jemsite
Pickups & wiring Discussion about pickup types, replacements, recomendations, switching, wiring diagrams and sustainer systems for ANY guitar, JEMs included.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-25-2003, 10:10 PM Thread Starter

EMG pickup installation trouble

trying to install EMG 85, S, and EMG 81 in an Ibanez S540.
i've been following this diagram:

i think i've wired everything right. the sound i get when plugged in is a barely audible, distorted sound when i hit a string.
i've tried to following since i've gotten it wired:
replacing old 9v with new one.
wiring switch opposite way.
rewiring poles on input jack.
do i need a different input jack than the ibanez jack? the ibanez jack has 3 prongs on it. or maybe it's an EMG, since the guitar had two EMGs in when i got it.
i don't know what else could be wrong. i had to practically hammer the knobs onto the pots. could that have damaged them?

colin
[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-25-2003, 11:38 PM

One thing that happens often with EMG wiring is that people overheat the main pickup wires to solder them to the back of the pot. Sometimes it melts the thing really badly and you get interference because the metal woven shielding is contacting the wire now that the white shield is melted.

It's hard to tell without seeing you guitar. If you changed the wiring on the jack, and it didn't help, then that's not it. For the most part these systems come prewired, so the wiring to the pots should be fine. And generally, you shouldn't have to hammer your knobs on...lol

Do you have a digital camera to take a picture of the electronics cavity? If you tried rewiring the jack did you do it short pole=output, medium pole=battery (red) and long pole=ground? By "Ibanez jack" I assume you mean the barrel type. Either way, a pic would help...
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-26-2003, 12:55 AM Thread Starter

yeah, i'll borrow a digital camera to take a pic.
i think only the newer EMG systems come pre-wired.
mine was used, anyway.

colin
post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-26-2003, 01:09 AM Thread Starter

yeah, i got the output jack wired right. wahoo.
also, the ground wire from the trem is just hanging out not attached. EMG says they like it this way.
the cavity is VERY tight with the battery wedged in there, but at least things won't be knocking around.

colin
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-26-2003, 06:59 AM

If it's TOO tight and the battery is touching any of the wires or switches, that will cause a ground issue...check that. If the wires are thrashed and melted from the pickups, and they're wired with those "quick-connect" wires, you can replace those. Any EMG dealer can get them for you. Also check those to see they aren't attached backwards. They aren't supposed to go on backwards, they will if you make them...lol

EMG's are a self-contained system as far as the grounding goes. That's why you don't need the wire from the trem claw. I usually remove it.

Tags
trem claw

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode