EMG Select Singles - Jemsite
Pickups & wiring Discussion about pickup types, replacements, recomendations, switching, wiring diagrams and sustainer systems for ANY guitar, JEMs included.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 41 (permalink) Old 08-10-2012, 12:57 AM Thread Starter

EMG Select Singles

hey ....Are EMG select Single coils any good? never used a single coil,so this is a bit new to me.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 41 (permalink) Old 08-10-2012, 01:27 AM

Reviews: 120
Re: EMG Select Singles

I think you can get better than EMG Selects for your money. How much are you wanting to spend?
post #3 of 41 (permalink) Old 08-10-2012, 01:30 AM Thread Starter

well, the guitar Im looking at has a dimarzio humbucker & 2 single Emgs .Im just not very familiar with single coils. Im mostly a humbucker player ..Id say 70% bridge & 30%neck just wondering if the EMGs suck or not kinda.
post #4 of 41 (permalink) Old 08-10-2012, 01:39 AM

Reviews: 6

The EMG Selects are low end EMG. I would replace it with Dimarzio Pro Track, Fast Track2
or a Chopper. Ways better choice.
post #5 of 41 (permalink) Old 08-10-2012, 04:24 AM

Reviews: 15

Aren't the EMG Selects passive too?
post #6 of 41 (permalink) Old 08-10-2012, 05:05 AM

Yes the Selects are passive.
post #7 of 41 (permalink) Old 08-10-2012, 07:04 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by 11racksfx View Post
The EMG Selects are low end EMG. I would replace it with Dimarzio Pro Track, Fast Track2
or a Chopper. Ways better choice.
But would you say They are better than Stock?
post #8 of 41 (permalink) Old 08-10-2012, 07:06 AM Thread Starter

I have an EMG 300hz in the neck on another guitar,humbucker & it has quite a good warm thick sound. slightly better than I expected.
post #9 of 41 (permalink) Old 08-10-2012, 07:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2DECADESSOFAR View Post
But would you say They are better than Stock?
Better than what "stock"? EMG Selects are "stock" on a number of lower end guitars.
post #10 of 41 (permalink) Old 08-10-2012, 08:09 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by LonePhantom View Post
Better than what "stock"? EMG Selects are "stock" on a number of lower end guitars.
Are they atleast 6k output if so,thats fine.
post #11 of 41 (permalink) Old 08-10-2012, 02:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2DECADESSOFAR View Post
Are they atleast 6k output if so,thats fine.
1 - 6k isn't output, its resistance.
2 - Resistance does not equate directly to output. There are many things that can affect output other than resistance.
3 - More output is not "Better", its just different.
4 - More resistance is also not "better", its just different.
5 - If you're going to replace some awful stock pickups, don't replace them with a random budget line pickup just because its a manufacturer you recognise. EMG select pickups are EMG's cheapest line, are not made to the same standards as their Active Line, by a long way.

If you're serious about upgrading your guitar, then get serious about it. Don't try and shortchange it. There are some ripoffs out there, but your average "well regarded" pickup manufacturer, like Seymour Duncan or DiMarzio, charge a reasonable price and deliver a quality product. Most cheaper alternatives are just outright awful, especially for value.
post #12 of 41 (permalink) Old 08-10-2012, 02:33 PM Thread Starter

Im not Upgrading to teh EMGs ........The EMGS are already in a guitar Im looking at. I was just wanting opinions from anyone thats used the single coils maybe .........If I go buy pickups,it will be either Dimarzio X2N,Bill Lawrence or maybe Kent Armstrong. Something along those lines.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuitarBizarre View Post
1 - 6k isn't output, its resistance.
2 - Resistance does not equate directly to output. There are many things that can affect output other than resistance.
3 - More output is not "Better", its just different.
4 - More resistance is also not "better", its just different.
5 - If you're going to replace some awful stock pickups, don't replace them with a random budget line pickup just because its a manufacturer you recognise. EMG select pickups are EMG's cheapest line, are not made to the same standards as their Active Line, by a long way.

If you're serious about upgrading your guitar, then get serious about it. Don't try and shortchange it. There are some ripoffs out there, but your average "well regarded" pickup manufacturer, like Seymour Duncan or DiMarzio, charge a reasonable price and deliver a quality product. Most cheaper alternatives are just outright awful, especially for value.
post #13 of 41 (permalink) Old 08-10-2012, 05:40 PM

Then what's the point of this thread? If you are already planning on replacing them I don't understand why you are asking about the Selects. Seems a null and void discussion...
post #14 of 41 (permalink) Old 08-10-2012, 05:48 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by LonePhantom View Post
Then what's the point of this thread? If you are already planning on replacing them I don't understand why you are asking about the Selects. Seems a null and void discussion...
Stick with us here Lonephantom there already in a guitar and i was asking them if the Selects are any good thats all.
post #15 of 41 (permalink) Old 08-10-2012, 06:08 PM

They're ****ty pickups nobody likes.

There. Is that a good answer for you? Now you can replace them, as you said you were pretty much planning on doing.

Also, ALL the points I made in my post remain valid no matter WHAT the stock pickups are.

Tags
humbucker metal nookie

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode