EMG Select Singles - Jemsite
Pickups & wiring Discussion about pickup types, replacements, recomendations, switching, wiring diagrams and sustainer systems for ANY guitar, JEMs included.

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 41 (permalink) Old 08-10-2012, 12:57 AM Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: florida
Posts: 347
EMG Select Singles

hey ....Are EMG select Single coils any good? never used a single coil,so this is a bit new to me.
2DECADESSOFAR is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 41 (permalink) Old 08-10-2012, 01:27 AM
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Canberra, Australia
Posts: 9,232
Reviews: 120
Re: EMG Select Singles

I think you can get better than EMG Selects for your money. How much are you wanting to spend?
LonePhantom is offline  
post #3 of 41 (permalink) Old 08-10-2012, 01:30 AM Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: florida
Posts: 347
Re: EMG Select Singles

well, the guitar Im looking at has a dimarzio humbucker & 2 single Emgs .Im just not very familiar with single coils. Im mostly a humbucker player ..Id say 70% bridge & 30%neck just wondering if the EMGs suck or not kinda.
2DECADESSOFAR is offline  
post #4 of 41 (permalink) Old 08-10-2012, 01:39 AM
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: NYC
Posts: 337
Reviews: 6
Re: EMG Select Singles

The EMG Selects are low end EMG. I would replace it with Dimarzio Pro Track, Fast Track2
or a Chopper. Ways better choice.
11racksfx is offline  
post #5 of 41 (permalink) Old 08-10-2012, 04:24 AM
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Stockton, CA
Posts: 977
Reviews: 15
Re: EMG Select Singles

Aren't the EMG Selects passive too?
silverctr is offline  
post #6 of 41 (permalink) Old 08-10-2012, 05:05 AM
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Canberra, Australia
Posts: 9,232
Reviews: 120
Re: EMG Select Singles

Yes the Selects are passive.
LonePhantom is offline  
post #7 of 41 (permalink) Old 08-10-2012, 07:04 AM Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: florida
Posts: 347
Re: EMG Select Singles

Quote:
Originally Posted by 11racksfx View Post
The EMG Selects are low end EMG. I would replace it with Dimarzio Pro Track, Fast Track2
or a Chopper. Ways better choice.
But would you say They are better than Stock?
2DECADESSOFAR is offline  
post #8 of 41 (permalink) Old 08-10-2012, 07:06 AM Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: florida
Posts: 347
Re: EMG Select Singles

I have an EMG 300hz in the neck on another guitar,humbucker & it has quite a good warm thick sound. slightly better than I expected.
2DECADESSOFAR is offline  
post #9 of 41 (permalink) Old 08-10-2012, 07:50 AM
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Canberra, Australia
Posts: 9,232
Reviews: 120
Re: EMG Select Singles

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2DECADESSOFAR View Post
But would you say They are better than Stock?
Better than what "stock"? EMG Selects are "stock" on a number of lower end guitars.
LonePhantom is offline  
post #10 of 41 (permalink) Old 08-10-2012, 08:09 AM Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: florida
Posts: 347
Re: EMG Select Singles

Quote:
Originally Posted by LonePhantom View Post
Better than what "stock"? EMG Selects are "stock" on a number of lower end guitars.
Are they atleast 6k output if so,thats fine.
2DECADESSOFAR is offline  
post #11 of 41 (permalink) Old 08-10-2012, 02:17 PM
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: UK
Posts: 1,641
Re: EMG Select Singles

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2DECADESSOFAR View Post
Are they atleast 6k output if so,thats fine.
1 - 6k isn't output, its resistance.
2 - Resistance does not equate directly to output. There are many things that can affect output other than resistance.
3 - More output is not "Better", its just different.
4 - More resistance is also not "better", its just different.
5 - If you're going to replace some awful stock pickups, don't replace them with a random budget line pickup just because its a manufacturer you recognise. EMG select pickups are EMG's cheapest line, are not made to the same standards as their Active Line, by a long way.



If you're serious about upgrading your guitar, then get serious about it. Don't try and shortchange it. There are some ripoffs out there, but your average "well regarded" pickup manufacturer, like Seymour Duncan or DiMarzio, charge a reasonable price and deliver a quality product. Most cheaper alternatives are just outright awful, especially for value.
GuitarBizarre is offline  
post #12 of 41 (permalink) Old 08-10-2012, 02:33 PM Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: florida
Posts: 347
Re: EMG Select Singles

Im not Upgrading to teh EMGs ........The EMGS are already in a guitar Im looking at. I was just wanting opinions from anyone thats used the single coils maybe .........If I go buy pickups,it will be either Dimarzio X2N,Bill Lawrence or maybe Kent Armstrong. Something along those lines.


Quote:
Originally Posted by GuitarBizarre View Post
1 - 6k isn't output, its resistance.
2 - Resistance does not equate directly to output. There are many things that can affect output other than resistance.
3 - More output is not "Better", its just different.
4 - More resistance is also not "better", its just different.
5 - If you're going to replace some awful stock pickups, don't replace them with a random budget line pickup just because its a manufacturer you recognise. EMG select pickups are EMG's cheapest line, are not made to the same standards as their Active Line, by a long way.



If you're serious about upgrading your guitar, then get serious about it. Don't try and shortchange it. There are some ripoffs out there, but your average "well regarded" pickup manufacturer, like Seymour Duncan or DiMarzio, charge a reasonable price and deliver a quality product. Most cheaper alternatives are just outright awful, especially for value.
2DECADESSOFAR is offline  
post #13 of 41 (permalink) Old 08-10-2012, 05:40 PM
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Canberra, Australia
Posts: 9,232
Reviews: 120
Re: EMG Select Singles

Then what's the point of this thread? If you are already planning on replacing them I don't understand why you are asking about the Selects. Seems a null and void discussion...
LonePhantom is offline  
post #14 of 41 (permalink) Old 08-10-2012, 05:48 PM Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: florida
Posts: 347
Re: EMG Select Singles

Quote:
Originally Posted by LonePhantom View Post
Then what's the point of this thread? If you are already planning on replacing them I don't understand why you are asking about the Selects. Seems a null and void discussion...
Stick with us here Lonephantom there already in a guitar and i was asking them if the Selects are any good thats all.
2DECADESSOFAR is offline  
post #15 of 41 (permalink) Old 08-10-2012, 06:08 PM
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: UK
Posts: 1,641
Re: EMG Select Singles

They're ****ty pickups nobody likes.

There. Is that a good answer for you? Now you can replace them, as you said you were pretty much planning on doing.

Also, ALL the points I made in my post remain valid no matter WHAT the stock pickups are.
GuitarBizarre is offline  
Reply

Tags
humbucker metal nookie

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).



Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Fender Telecaster Select Wolfram All Other Guitars (including Prestige) 36 01-13-2013 02:53 PM
Help me select pickups for my Ibanez Jorge Pickups & wiring 6 09-29-2011 01:36 AM
Some suggestion on how to select pickups toneboy Pickups & wiring 3 01-05-2007 11:21 AM
WTB: IBZ/USA 2 singles and one hum ashbass Classified Ads: Guitars and Gear 0 10-10-2006 01:43 PM
FS Jackson USA Select SL1 Soloist ronsws6 Classified Ads: Guitars and Gear 4 09-20-2005 09:40 AM

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome