EMG81 noise problem - Jemsite
Pickups & wiring Discussion about pickup types, replacements, recomendations, switching, wiring diagrams and sustainer systems for ANY guitar, JEMs included.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-21-2003, 06:18 PM Thread Starter
Gus

EMG81 noise problem

Hello,
ive installed EMG81 bridge in my BC Rich guitar with passive stock neck, i`ve used all EMG parts:active volume pot and jack. The EMG81 output seems to be similar but with less low-end as Seymour Duncan`s Invader on my second guitar.
The problem is that the EMG81 is very noisy(hums,buzzes...) and feedbacks soon. It`s much more noisy than neck pup or quiet Invader on my second guitar. What went wrong here ? Must i check something ?
Thanx for helpin`
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-22-2003, 02:50 AM

I have installed EMGs in a few guitars that I own, and had similar problems at first. Once I got it working though, they were very low noise, and much louder than any passive pickup I had dealt with. Here is a comparison. DiMarzio's highest output humbucker, the X2N has an output of 510 millivolts. The EMG-81 has an output of 1500 millivolts. This is a big and audible difference. If you are getting similar output to the passive on the instrument, then something is wrong.

In addition, the EMG pickups are solid as a tank, and -very- resistant to feedback and hum. The noise problems that you are having just shouldn't be there.

EMG pickups are wired a bit differently than passive pickups and no attempt is made by EMG to design them to be used in a setup that mixes them with passive pickups in the same instrument, at least as they come out of the box. In particular, they are grounded quite differently. I think that your best bet right no is to remove the passive neck pickup from the guitar, leaving just the EMG. Then go over the wiring with a fine tooth comb, making sure that is exactly as the instructions say. Try that and get back to us.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-22-2003, 08:05 AM Thread Starter
Gus

EMG81 Noise Problem

I`ve installed the EMG81 after the EMG81bridge+EMGHZneck,1VOLactive,1VolPassive,3-toggle switch schematics on their Site. I`ve added the bridge ground wire on passive neck volume,all others is the same as on their schematics.

The EMGHZ neck buzzes when i don`t touch the strings or metal parts, But when i switch down to EMG81, it produces a loud noise,just like a full cranked high-gain on amplifier(sshhhhh), buzzes and feedbacks soon after increasing the amp`s volume.
I removed the EMGHz wires,but the noise of EMG81 remains the same, what is here wrong ?
post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-29-2003, 04:36 AM

1) Double check the wiring. Make none of the leads are broken.

2) Make sure that all of you solder joint are good. Get a chopstick or pencil and give each solder joint a poke. Also gently prod the wires where the wire meets the solder. If any of the solder joints moves or falls off, or if the wire breaks off easily, then the joint wasn't really any good.

3) The 81's have braided shielding around the signal wire, which you are supposed to solder to the case of a potentiometer. Make sure that when you were soldering this, you didn't accidentaly burn through the plastic insulation around the signal wire.

Get back when you try this.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-29-2003, 07:02 AM Thread Starter
Gus

Thanks, i`ve allready tried all the things you said.The red wire is not burned as i can see and the contacts are fixed and doesn`t touch others.I isulated all the wires with a tape,too. But again,no success.Like i said ,the EMGHZ buzzes,when i don`t touch the metal parts, and the EMG81 is just very noisy. I`ve compared it to my other (quiet)pickups like X2N and Invader and it sounds weaker,with less bottom and little less or about the same gain.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-30-2003, 01:24 AM

This is pretty basic, but make sure that the connection where the wire plugs into the pickup (on it's back) is orientated the right way and fully plugged in... I've had them come loose when adjusting wires and such...
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-30-2003, 03:30 PM Thread Starter
Gus

I`ve checked that too,but it`s well plugged in. I don`t know really what is the problem here, but thanks anyway,guys,for helping me,...
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-30-2003, 08:29 PM
dex

Well as someone else pointed out the EMG's are not designed to have a passive pickup hooked up in there so that migh be the problem.
Failing that, change the battery and if that fails to cure the problem maybe it's time to give the local tech a call.

There's always the posibility that you got a dud.
A proper working 81 will be very crisp and clear to your years and will easily outshine any passive pickup out there.

ilia

Tags
neck pickup , neck pup , seymour duncan , toggle switch

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode