EMG81 + Passive Wiring ? - Jemsite
Pickups & wiring Discussion about pickup types, replacements, recomendations, switching, wiring diagrams and sustainer systems for ANY guitar, JEMs included.

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-26-2003, 03:41 AM Thread Starter
Gus
 
Join Date: May 2003
Posts: 52
EMG81 + Passive Wiring ?

I whish to install EMG81 instead of EMG-HZ on the bridge of my ESP LTD RS-200.The guitar has ONLY one Pot (Volume) and 3-toggle switch. I tried to wire the EMG ground on the original 500K Pot, but it makes a lot of noise and feedback. How can i make it right ? I think i cannot put the EMG Pot (25k) in the guitar, because the neck pickup will have 80 % less output then. Help me, please.
Gus is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-26-2003, 10:01 AM
 
Join Date: Dec 2000
Location: Canada
Posts: 4,215
There's not really much you can do. If you want to control the volume with the pot, you have to have separate ones for the active and passive pickups.

If you're willing to give up the volume control for one of the pickups, you could re-wire it like this:

EMG-81 (bridge) --> 25k pot --> pickup selector <-- EMG-HZ (neck)

Then wire the output of the pickup selector to the output jack.

Or if you'd rather have volume control over your neck pickup and leave the 81 on at full volume, take out the 25k pot and put in the 500k in between the HZ and the selector toggle.
darren wilson is offline  
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-26-2003, 03:03 PM
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Posts: 59
i've seen some guitars with active hz's (esp ltd, and jackson), so isn't there a possibility of normally integrating it into his guitar?
bartman is offline  
post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-26-2003, 10:45 PM
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Buena Park, CA
Posts: 769
EMG sells a preamp called the PA-2. It's designed to work with both passive and active systems. You can use the preamp on the passive pickup to bring it up to the active system's volume and impedance rating. I do this on 7 strings with humbuckers and a single because EMG doesn't make a single coil 7. So I boost the middle pickup to the 707 or 35TW's output...
Akhenaten is offline  
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-26-2003, 11:49 PM
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Posts: 270
Quote:
Originally Posted by bartman
i've seen some guitars with active hz's (esp ltd, and jackson), so isn't there a possibility of normally integrating it into his guitar?
hmm, I think you may be mistaken, the EMG HZ is by passive by nature. Its their version of a passive pickup and the ones that come in every guitar ive seen aren't active. They wanted to make and market an EMG without active electronics to appeal to those who wanted the EMG sound but without the different circuitry and battery necessity.
Guitarlos2 is offline  
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-27-2003, 01:09 PM
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Posts: 59
i think the hz's i've seen aren't specifically acitve, but like Ankhnaten said EMG sells a preamp that works with passive pups. i know there are guitars out there (my friend has one) with hz's that need a battery. so they must have a preamp installed to boost the signal of the hz's. i wasn't trying to spread bad info, i was just confused with what i've seen and the fact that hz's are supposed to be passive. IMO it's kind of contradictory to use the hz's with a preamp to make them "active" when the rest of the EMG line is acitve. then again that's probably the doing of the guitar companies.
bartman is offline  
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-27-2003, 04:15 PM
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Posts: 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by bartman
i think the hz's i've seen aren't specifically acitve, but like Ankhnaten said EMG sells a preamp that works with passive pups. i know there are guitars out there (my friend has one) with hz's that need a battery. so they must have a preamp installed to boost the signal of the hz's. i wasn't trying to spread bad info, i was just confused with what i've seen and the fact that hz's are supposed to be passive. IMO it's kind of contradictory to use the hz's with a preamp to make them "active" when the rest of the EMG line is acitve. then again that's probably the doing of the guitar companies.
In other words you don't know what you are talking about. Lets stick to the facts about emg pickups and try not to mislead people looking for honest and usable information. Not to be mean or anything!! but im just stating that if you're unsure of something, why comment on it? right?
Yojimbo is offline  
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-27-2003, 04:28 PM
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Posts: 59
the point is to clear up the matter, not to bash ppl who aren't certain... i was commenting to learn about the issue myself and not to mislead ppl.

maybe the matter is unclear to you, but just because i was unsure doesn't mean that i'm trying to mislead ppl and intentionally posting false info, if you think i am, sorry.

i will clearify this for everyone: what i have seen in some guitars is hz pups that require a battery... that is why i thought they might be active. after Ankhnaten posted about the preamp, i mentioned that as being the cause of the battery. it was not my intention to inform ppl that hz's are active. i was trying to clearify the matter for myself. i didn't know i couldn't do that.

sorry to anyone who was wrongfully mislead by my posts.
bartman is offline  
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-27-2003, 05:27 PM
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Posts: 270
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yojimbo
In other words you don't know what you are talking about. Lets stick to the facts about emg pickups and try not to mislead people looking for honest and usable information. Not to be mean or anything!! but im just stating that if you're unsure of something, why comment on it? right?
There is certainly no reason to insult someone for offering information that they have. I think he was just trying to help Yoji. Anyway though, I have never personally seen EMG HZ pickups that required batteries, but i'd have to agree with Bartman.....it does seems ridiculous and contradictory to have "active wanna-be pickups" when you can just buy a real active EMG and let it be.

Anyway Gus, not to burst your bubble or anything but you may have to install the EMG pots for your EMG 81 to work properly in your guitar. I tried rigging something up myself where I had an EMG 85 in the bridge, and an EMG 85 in the neck, but with a passive single coil in the middle position. Needless to say it sounded very uneven and noisier than it should have. I just ended up getting an EMG single coil for the middle position and it sounds great! Have you considered getting a true active EMG for the neck position?? That way you can replace the pots and there won't be output inconsistency....
Guitarlos2 is offline  
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-28-2003, 07:41 AM Thread Starter
Gus
 
Join Date: May 2003
Posts: 52
It seems i cannot wire EMG81 with EMG-HZ 500K Pot.(it makes terrible noise and buzz) . So i decided to put DiMarzio X2N on the Bridge. Anyone plays it ?
Gus is offline  
post #11 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-28-2003, 08:08 PM
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Posts: 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guitarlos2
There is certainly no reason to insult someone for offering information that they have. I think he was just trying to help Yoji. Anyway though, I have never personally seen EMG HZ pickups that required batteries, but i'd have to agree with Bartman.....it does seems ridiculous and contradictory to have "active wanna-be pickups" when you can just buy a real active EMG and let it be.

Anyway Gus, not to burst your bubble or anything but you may have to install the EMG pots for your EMG 81 to work properly in your guitar. I tried rigging something up myself where I had an EMG 85 in the bridge, and an EMG 85 in the neck, but with a passive single coil in the middle position. Needless to say it sounded very uneven and noisier than it should have. I just ended up getting an EMG single coil for the middle position and it sounds great! Have you considered getting a true active EMG for the neck position?? That way you can replace the pots and there won't be output inconsistency....
I was not "insulting" anyone, and I do not appreciate your implying so. I was simply stating the facts as to what I read. Besides, what you pointed out in regards to EMG pickups would be obvious to anyone who is not mentally retarted.
Yojimbo is offline  
post #12 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-29-2003, 11:26 PM
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Buena Park, CA
Posts: 769
To maybe further elaborate on EMG's deal with production guitars and passive systems, you may find a battery in the passive HZ setup for several reasons. First off, the aforementioned preamp. If they have included a preamp, it needs the battery not the pickups, and does not make the pickups active. The reason you'd do this? Usually, someone buying a guitar with HZ's would like it to sound like 81's or 85's or whatever. The preamp gives you the extra volume of the full active EMG. But with it comes the fact that you also boost the passive system's noise. Still, you got that basic heavy output that the active setup would give.

Another reason for batteries with passive HZ is if there are tone circuits included with the guitar. EMG makes the EXG and SPC among other things, which act not so much as a preamp, but as a Equalization deal.

As for the guy that tried to wire his 500k pot to the EMG setup, you're correct, it will not work. 25k pots need to be installed. If you mix passive and active pickups and use the preamp on the passive side, you still need the 25k pots.

Hope this helps!
Akhenaten is offline  
post #13 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-20-2003, 11:02 PM
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Posts: 249
I have a guitar with passive and active pickups (EMG 81, 60 and an Ibanez stock ).

I have no problems. one option is to use the 25k pots, and due to the nature of volume pots (highest volume is zero resistance) you will experiance no change in tone with the HZ and max volume (on board, not on the amp). The volume knob will adjust between max and slightly less then max for the HZ.

the other option is to use the 500k pots. The HZ will behave normally, but the the volume know will become an on/off switch for the 81. But you will not loose any tone or volume with max volume.

with either option you it will sound like the HZ has lowered output. It doesn't it just sounds much lower because the 81's output is so high.
The Madness Here is offline  
post #14 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-21-2003, 03:10 AM Thread Starter
Gus
 
Join Date: May 2003
Posts: 52
I wired it just like that, EMG81 with 500K pot, but i get a terrible noise and hums with that combination, and i don`t know what did i do wrong.
Gus is offline  
post #15 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-21-2003, 05:13 PM
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Posts: 249
i dont think its the pots, in the EMG website it says you can use 500k pots.
The Madness Here is offline  
Reply

Tags
neck pickup , neck position , toggle switch , volume pots

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).



Email Address:
OR

Log-in











Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
RG560 Multiple Wiring Options, Prefer Active/Passive Mix Triplelexx Pickups & wiring 2 09-04-2012 06:45 PM
Wiring EMG 81-7 And Passive pickup tonypoon1 Pickups & wiring 2 05-19-2010 11:27 AM
Wiring Emg active With Passive tonypoon1 Pickups & wiring 14 04-14-2010 10:54 PM
wiring an emg81/85 to a five way switch label thief Pickups & wiring 4 11-24-2007 03:56 AM
FS- 2 of EMG81 Hetharia Classified Ads: Guitars and Gear 1 09-28-2006 12:41 PM

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome