Evo 7 vs Blaze bridge & Air norton 7 vs Blaze neck - Jemsite
Pickups & wiring Discussion about pickup types, replacements, recomendations, switching, wiring diagrams and sustainer systems for ANY guitar, JEMs included.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-02-2003, 09:37 AM Thread Starter

Evo 7 vs Blaze bridge & Air norton 7 vs Blaze neck

Could you compare these pickups.
I have uv777bk and i want to change my stock pickups.
Could someone describe these pups and compare them?
I play Vai, Satriani, Petrucci, Ozzy, Gary Moore, Malmsteen (a little bit ) rock, hard rock ................do you think that these pups fit my style? Do you suggest different pups(TZ 7, Paf 7 )?

M A R I O
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-02-2003, 05:13 PM

Hi! I suppose you know: Vai uses the Universe as Petrucci does on several albums... that is, the Blaze pickups.
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-02-2003, 05:29 PM

I've got the Evo7/PAF7 combo (bridge/neck) in my UV.

I tried an AN7 in the neck, but found it too bassy.
hope this helps.

~Kenny

PS - I have an mp3 file if you want to hear them
post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-03-2003, 05:40 AM Thread Starter

Kenny would you send this mp3?
I'm curious to hear this combimation!!!
Could you compare AN7 to Blaze neck?
The main problem is that here in Bulgaria i can't find this pups to hear them!!!
In fact there are only two universe guitars in Bulgaria, so you see that i don't have any choice
I found Blaze bridge is very bassy for my taste thats why i want to change this pup (this is my personal opinion i don't want to hurt anybody's feelings )
The neck Blaze is ok but i want something new..... Kenny could you share your opinion (you try AN7, PAF7 & Blaze) with me, could you describe them? (your personal opinion/feeling about the pups)
Thank you!
M A R I O
P.S. About mp3 file ...... my e-mail is [email protected]
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-13-2003, 06:09 PM

I replaced the pickups in my custom MC Uni with that exact combination. Evo 7 bridge and AN7 neck, middle stayed stock Blaze SC. I also added a push/pull coil split to the tone control. I can tell you that the pickups sound great in my Universe. Tons of clarity. One thing that I did notice right away is they are VERY different pickups. I have three Uni's and the other two are stock with the Blazes. I can't use the same amp settings for the the Blaze equipped axes that I do for the Evo axe. The Blaze pickups are a lot more subdued on top and quite a bit thicker in the low end. So basically I would say just be sure you prepare for this drastic change. If you have 'your' amp settings and tone, be prepared to start the tone search over again from square one. Great pickups, but in many cases you don't just plug in to the same tone and get acceptable results. I've had to retweak everything.
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-14-2003, 04:48 PM Thread Starter

Malhavoc you are my angel guardian!
You wrote the words i want to read!
Could you tell me about this push/pull coil split?
I am Absolutely rookie in this stuff!
I know what this thing do but i never see one live!!!
Can you describe it?
Why do you put it? (i know the answer but i want to hear it from you )
( i'm not an idiot but in Bulgaria i never see/hear guitar with this thing that's why i asked this elementary question )
I want to do exactly like you but without the push/pull stuff!!!
What can i win and what can i lose if i don't/do put this push/pull coil on my guitar?
Basicly now i don't have any spare money for it (i know this thing isn't expencive but i have exect money for 2 Dimarzio PU's.... can you tell me what model push/pull coil you put and for how much did you take it? ) and i can't allow to buy it now ... in future for sure!!!
So what can i expect from this Pu's without push/pull..... if they were standart conected (5 way switch)?
I can't wait to get your response!!!
Thank you for information!!!
I hope you answer quickly!!!
God bless you
Ha ha ha ....... no i'm not crazy just very very happy
Cheers!!!!
P.S. Do you have any sound samples recorded with these Pu's which you could send me?
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-14-2003, 11:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by killer
Kenny would you send this mp3?
I'm curious to hear this combimation!!!
Could you compare AN7 to Blaze neck?
The main problem is that here in Bulgaria i can't find this pups to hear them!!!
In fact there are only two universe guitars in Bulgaria, so you see that i don't have any choice
I found Blaze bridge is very bassy for my taste thats why i want to change this pup (this is my personal opinion i don't want to hurt anybody's feelings )
The neck Blaze is ok but i want something new..... Kenny could you share your opinion (you try AN7, PAF7 & Blaze) with me, could you describe them? (your personal opinion/feeling about the pups)
Thank you!
M A R I O
P.S. About mp3 file ...... my e-mail is [email protected]
download here: http://www.invisibleband.com/TIB-CheapFrankenGlasses(MT).mp3 you have to get to about 1L20 before the solos start kicking in. I don't recall which solos are the Jem and which are the UV (althogh some of them use UV-only notes )

Here's another that I recall mostly using the UV for.
http://www.invisibleband.com/TIB-MCR_Hush_Medley.mp3

Pardon the crappy recordings.

I liked the Blazes for a the first few months I had the UV, but they started sounding too heavy for me and they couldn't get the biting crystal clean I wanted. The problem isn't so much that they're too bassy, it's that they don't have enough Mid.

I tried the AN7 just for a goof, but as i said, it was too bass-heavy for me in the neck. i popped my PAF7 back int he neck and there it stays

~K
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-15-2003, 04:48 AM Thread Starter

Thank you for mp3's Kenny!!!
I'll download them right away!!!
Cheers
M A R I O
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-30-2003, 07:20 PM

The EVO 7 is brighter & hotter than the breeds. A warm pickup in a 7 string can make the bottem end muddy.
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-30-2003, 08:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr_Guitar
The EVO 7 is brighter & hotter than the breeds. A warm pickup in a 7 string can make the bottem end muddy.
Did you mean to say Blaze? i don't think there is a Breed7
~K
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-01-2003, 04:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kennydoe
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr_Guitar
Did you mean to say Blaze? i don't think there is a Breed7
~K
Kenny,You THINK correct there is NO Breed7,even in prototype (i believe)

Rob
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-09-2003, 07:05 PM

I really think the Blaze II neck pickup sounds awesome as is. The bridge version is a little lacking in midrange and clarity, so I will probably upgrade to the Evo7, but the neck position stays for me.
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-10-2003, 08:18 PM

Oops, my bad. I replaced the 2 green Blazes in a customers older Black UV with the green headstocl logo, dot markers & pickups. I used a pair of Black/Green EVO 7's. The guitar really woke up, the low B sounded clearer & fuller. The customer was really pleased. Im installing another pair in his K7 as well.

Tags
amp settings , blaze bridge , blaze neck , blaze pickups , coil split , gary moore , neck pickup , neck position , pull coil

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode