EVO on mahogany - Jemsite
Pickups & wiring Discussion about pickup types, replacements, recomendations, switching, wiring diagrams and sustainer systems for ANY guitar, JEMs included.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-17-2003, 09:23 AM Thread Starter

EVO on mahogany

Hi ya'll
I'd like to know who here has a guitar with a mahogany body and has Evolution pups on it (Bridge or Neck). I'd like to know how does it sound like.
I've just bought a RG3120 prestige, and it has a mahogany body, with a flamed maple top and it comes stock with a PAF PRO and a TONEZONEBut i'm thinking about putting EVOS 'se i'm more into VAI sound.

People say that the evo is a little Trebbly, but i think it won't be that trebly in a mahogany bodied guitar. What your opinion?

i want a fat and full sound i9n bridge and neck, and i don't like to hear the pick atack (tec tec) does the EVO hides this sound more than other pups?
[]'s
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-18-2003, 12:10 PM

I'll elaborate more after lunch, but i'll start with this much- I don't like mahogany, but an EVO7 in my 2027 almost made it bearable. Thick, sustaining, "screaming" lead tone. cuts beautifully. highly recommended (and Vai's "lacewood" is outfitted this way, and it was enough to convert rich harris, so... )

-Drew
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-18-2003, 12:23 PM Thread Starter

Thank you Drew

Thank you, i think i'll change it for a pair of EVOS! hehehe
See ya
post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-18-2003, 01:19 PM
Vendor

Red Lace just screams with the Evos
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-18-2003, 01:46 PM
EKG

I would think that Evo's would work very well with mahogany. I am led to believe that the mahogany would warm it up a bit, yet still have the highs that Evo's characteristically have.
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-18-2003, 08:40 PM

If you go through with the mod, be sure and post back the results! I have several mahogany guitars with the PAF Pro/TZ combination, and while I really like that setup, I'm also looking for a little more variety, so I'm considering switching one of them to Evos.

--B
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-18-2003, 08:46 PM Thread Starter

Ok fella!
i'll post a Review here.. but look at the dimarzio's answer:
Steve's tone and attack come from his touch as much as from the pickups. The Evo bridge model is actually brighter-sounding than the Tone Zone, not fatter. However, the Evolution neck model (DP158F) is warmer-sounding than the PAF Pro, and you might find it more to your taste. Other neck position suggestions are the Breed neck model (DP165F) and the Air Norton (DP193F).

I think i'll let my Tone Zone in place and change the PAF! heheheh

After i'll test a Evo in Bridge..
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-19-2003, 12:10 AM

Ô rapaz ! Here´s Leandro.
Recebeu sua 3120 ?
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-19-2003, 08:31 AM Thread Starter

Hi Leandro! BLZ?
Cara, ainda não, mas jah estou fuçando pra ver se alguem aqui me dá uma resposta hehehe, mas depois da resposta da dimarzio acho que irei de Tz (BRidge) e Evo(Neck)
Abraço!
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-19-2003, 02:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RBFREIRE
Hi Leandro! BLZ?
Cara, ainda não, mas jah estou fuçando pra ver se alguem aqui me dá uma resposta hehehe, mas depois da resposta da dimarzio acho que irei de Tz (BRidge) e Evo(Neck)
Abraço!
Uma coisa que tu deve saber é que o TZ fica bem grave pra tocar bases e cleans ,tu não vai correr o risco de ter um pickup no neck mais alto que o pickup da ponte em se tratando de situações sem distorção. Mas pra tocar solos e melodias com o Zone, pode talvez ficar um pouco grave pro seu gosto.

Tu tem que pegar a guitarra e experimentar, só depois concluir se troca ou não.
post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-19-2003, 02:28 PM

Try and keep it in English please guys. If you want to chat in Portuguese then please PM/email it. Muito obrigado (thanks).

As an aside...
I have Steve's Special and Air Norton in my mahogany Jem and they sound great!!

Cheers

Simon
post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-19-2003, 03:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cerealk
Try and keep it in English please guys. If you want to chat in Portuguese then please PM/email it. Muito obrigado (thanks).
Would that be the Queens English, or just plain US bastardised English?
post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-19-2003, 03:49 PM
Super Moderator

Reviews: 1
Either will do for me, I'm Oop Narth but Simon's a posh Londoner so he might have higher standards
jono is online  
post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-19-2003, 03:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jono
Either will do for me, I'm Oop Narth but Simon's a posh Londoner so he might have higher standards
Weell, be'in a Green Card carry'in Scot, ah canna undersand much of it onyway, ya ken?
post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-19-2003, 04:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jono
I am not a Londoner!!!

I am from Bristol in the west of England and just live in London

Any English is good

Tags
air norton , breed neck model , evo bridge , evolution neck , flamed maple , mahogany body , mahogany guitars , neck position , paf pro , tight bass , tone zone

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode