Evo v's Evo 2? - Jemsite
Pickups & wiring Discussion about pickup types, replacements, recomendations, switching, wiring diagrams and sustainer systems for ANY guitar, JEMs included.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-19-2008, 12:44 AM Thread Starter

Evo v's Evo 2?

Has anyone out there in Jemsite land tried both?

I'm looking at buying one, and wondering how they compare?

I've tried a few guitars with the Evo (and I love it), but i've never had the chance to try an Evo2. I know what Dimarzio say about them, but i'm after an opinion from someone who has directly compared the two.

Any advice appreciated

Rock on!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-19-2008, 12:59 AM

post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-19-2008, 01:39 AM

Re: Evo v's Evo 2?

I've heard from a bunch of my friends that have em that the Evo had a lot of problems that the Evo 2 essentially fixed, they all agreed that the Evo 2 is the better pickup. I recently purchased one for installation in my soon-to-be-finished custom guitar, I'll probably post a harmony central review then. Judging by that above link, fyrie agrees.
post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-19-2008, 01:51 AM

to add to fyrie's awesome write-up, i find that the Evo is a great pickup on the right guitar. on a guitar with a naturally dark timber, it works incredibly well (i.e. a neck through body instrument with a rosewood board, or even a bolt-on with a mahogany body) but other people's ears may differ. IMHO it works very well to goose the input of an amp and to balance out a very warm/dark instrument with heaps of scream and punch. the evo 2 is MUCH sweeter, and to my ears a bit more delicate sounding. there are more natural overtones and more "bloom" to sustained notes. the evo 2 DOES clean up more nicely than the evo, but i find i get a lot of use out of the evo in single coil or parallel wiring. kinda gives you a roid-raging tele tone through the right amp and reduces very nicely to a bright, sparkly clean with the volume rolled back. then again, i spend entire paychecks on cable and smell my strings before i put them on. haha. hope that helped.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-19-2008, 03:40 AM Thread Starter

Thankyou all for the advice, it's most appreciated.

It sounds like the Evo 2 is the pickup i'm after. I'm putting it in a 24.75 scale bolt on neck, basswood body Charvel Fusion Custom. I love the feel of the guitar, but the Duncan Invader in the bridge is way too muddy and fat with the short scale neck.

I'm having a local store put one in tomorrow, so i'll see how it goes.

Again, thanks for the replies, they were very helpful.

Rock on!
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-19-2008, 03:45 AM

Hm, sorry for the thread hijack but since you seem to have experience with the pup, how do you figure it'll be in a korina body (in the bridge)?
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-20-2008, 12:27 AM Thread Starter

Got my Evo 2 today, and it absolutely rips!

After picking my guitar up, I bought it home and plugged in, only to find the moron in the shop had forgotten to ground the pickup.

After fixing the problem, I gave it a go, and it is just what I was looking for. It's tightened the sound up really well, and added a clarity to the tone that was sorely needed. This pickup just sings.

To shreddersymphony, I think the Evo 2 would be great in the bridge of a korina bodied guitar. It's a great pickup, with lots of clarity when distorted, and it cleans up really nice too. It really is a more versatile version of the original Evo. Hope this helps you make your mind up.

Rock on!
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-20-2008, 01:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeavyMetal4Ever View Post
Got my Evo 2 today, and it absolutely rips!

After picking my guitar up, I bought it home and plugged in, only to find the moron in the shop had forgotten to ground the pickup.

After fixing the problem, I gave it a go, and it is just what I was looking for. It's tightened the sound up really well, and added a clarity to the tone that was sorely needed. This pickup just sings.

To shreddersymphony, I think the Evo 2 would be great in the bridge of a korina bodied guitar. It's a great pickup, with lots of clarity when distorted, and it cleans up really nice too. It really is a more versatile version of the original Evo. Hope this helps you make your mind up.

Rock on!
Well, I bought it a whileee ago so my mind was pretty much made up, but thanks for the reassurance, I've heard GREAT things about it as a bridge pup.

Tags
basswood body , bridge pup , custom guitar , duncan invader , mahogany body , rosewood board

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode