Evo vs Paf Pro in 77FP - Jemsite
Pickups & wiring Discussion about pickup types, replacements, recomendations, switching, wiring diagrams and sustainer systems for ANY guitar, JEMs included.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-22-2004, 11:25 PM Thread Starter

Evo vs Paf Pro in 77FP

Hi, I have a 77FP and I'm not really sure if I like the paf pros. I'm thinking about putting evos in there because I want better harmonic response and Evos supposely offer that. Does anyone it's a good/bad idea? Is there another passive (I don't like active) humbucker you would recommend for my need? I'm looking for a really good harmonic response and a nice n full mid with balanced treb and bass. Any help will be appreciated, thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-23-2004, 10:00 AM

I put an evo in the bridge of my BFP, but kept the PAF Pro in the neck. The PAF was too 'soft' for me in the bridge, but i had a BSB for a time and found the Evo too harsh in the neck.

Nothin' wrong wtih doing one at a time

Also consider changing the middle pickup to something with higher output - you'll be glad you did.
~Kenny
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-23-2004, 02:00 PM Thread Starter

yeah, changing the middle single coil is not a bad idea...but i kinda like the way it is and since i use a compressor almost all of the time, the volume difference is not too apparent...but what would you suggest for the middle? and do you know any alternatives to Evo?
post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-23-2004, 06:11 PM

My BFP has a Virtual2 bridge model in the middle. I like the middle of my JC which is a Blue Velvet.

I have an RG with a Breed in the bridge and Red Velvet in the middle - it's works ok, but i like the Evo/Virtual2 combo a LOT.

The TZ in the JC sounds good, but that's a mahogany body so the tonal characteristics may vary.

~K
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-24-2004, 12:19 AM Thread Starter

hey man, thanks for the advices. I'm really new to pickup types so being part of this great forum with great people like you is wonderful. I'll consider something new for the middle but that's not my main concern at this point. The #1 problem I have with the Paf Pros in my FP is that the neck sounds way too dark through my signal chain...It probably has to do with the fact that most of my effects don't have true by-pass but I haven't trie it with fewer effects yet so I'll have to see how that goes. In any case, the neck pickup sounds really dark, to the point where I have a separate distortion pedal for the neck pickup. My signal chain goes:

Morley PWA (true bypass) > Boss CS-3 (volume 12o', full treble boost, attack 4o', sustain 2'o) > Danelectro Daddy-O (for rythm) > DS-1 [a] (tone 11o', Distortion 10o', volume 2o') > DS-1 [b] (tone 9o', others same) > Danelectro Cool Cat > Danelectro Dan Echo > Peavey Renown 400 (solid state)

my "lead" channel boost Mid and "rythm" channel is scooped and I run both channel clean. For the neck Paf i use DS-1 [a] for distortion and for the bridge paf i use DS-1 [b] for distortion. I'm looking for a compressed, almost growling distortion sound (think something between Vai's Touching Tongues and Blood and Tears) and I haven't found that tone yet...I'm also not getting a good enough artificial harmonics out of the pafs...could just be my signal chain eating away my tone...I'm also toying with the idea with getting a maximizer/enhancer...i heard those things do wonders...but I'd like to keep my stuff on the floor, if possible. Anyway, that's that. Hope you can give me more advice with those information given...a tube amp is obviously a choice but I'm very poor right now ...
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-24-2004, 01:13 AM Thread Starter

I did some more research on Dimarzio.com and am now thinking about trying Fred and Nortion. Those two both seems to be quite like Paf Pro (which I do like, essentially) but with more harmonic response and output...don't know if anyone has tried them in basswood...i kinda wanna get them in Red...cause I'm not diggin the pink that much but that's all small talk...sound is more important...so what do you guys think?
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-30-2004, 11:36 AM

Ok. I'm new to the forum, so big ol' group hug <hug - hi, how are you>

Ok. I am aganizing over which pickup to install in the bridge of my beautiful Jem. She's a 77BFP, and of course she's got PAF Pro's in the neck + bridge. Definitely, the PAF Pro is too soft and thin in the bridge. Sounds pretty dang good in the neck position though.

Right off the bat, I was telling everybody who would listen - "I'm getting the Evolution, right NOW!" So I cruised over to Dimarzio and then everything went *bonk*. There are so many choices that actually sound pretty interesting! I've read from people that the Air Norton is fabulous. I've seen that people like the Fred. I'm DYING!

Kenny, you've got the lovely Blue Floral too (nice work buddy!) - so talk to me!! Help?! Do you like your Evo? Let's discuss!
.................................................. .................................................. .

Oh god, what a beauty. I don't even know what to say to her when I see her. I usually just get one word out: "Hi".

post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-30-2004, 11:43 AM Thread Starter

from what i read on Dimarzio, Paf Pro, Fred and Nortion are very similar pickups, but Fred and Nortion have high outputs and better harmonic response than Paf Pro, which is essentially what i want. Evo is an obvious choice but I wanna retain some of the unique characteristics of the Paf pro....but then i run the risk of sounding like Joe....and im not a big fan of his tone (great songs though, don't get me wrong)....so....AHHHHH DILEMMA!!!!! btw, Air Nortion and Nortion, from what i read on harmony central are pretty darn different pickups. Air Nortion is much 'heavier' than Nortion...which is not really my cup of tea, people have complained about AN getting muddy.....so....i need advice....
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-31-2004, 09:56 AM

I really liked the Air Norton in the neck pos of my old RG. It had awsome harmonic response. sounded very sweet to me.
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-31-2004, 03:58 PM

Really? Tell me more tell me more!
.................................................. .................................................. ...

You know, I keep hearing great things about the Air Norton. Rats. I was hoping to cross it off my list to ease the confusion?

I think maybe I should explain the sound I'm after. Currently, my 1st love is an Ibanez custom JS.

I LOVE this guitar. I've played it into the ground though, and it needs new hardware in the biggest way. The saddles in the bridge are basically fused shut by all my hand sweat. Still, it has a fat, sustainy tone that is too die for - thanks to my Mesa Boogie rack power amp and ART digital effects processor, and my seymour duncan bride pickup - the parallel axis trembucker - championed by Blues Saraceno.

It's actually a sick pickup. The idea is, the 2 magnetic poles for each string create a little field, and when you bend the string, you actually move the string over one of the poles, and that boosts the tone for a second while the string is over the pole. It's a genius idea, and it really adds some sustain to your lead playing as you bend the strings and stuff. AND, along with that, it has big, crunch, high outpout sweet sound streaming out of it. And that's what I like!

I play along to music in my CD player all the time, and my goal is to have the same bad a** tone as the stuff I'm listening too, and the seymour duncan delivers when I play my JS. What I'm listening to is Steve Vai of course, but I'm now totally digging modern rock/metal - like Fuel, Puddle Of Mudd, Hoobastank (hardly metal), Swithchfoot..and so I like high output crunch out of my bridge pickup.

In my Jem77BFP, the PAF Pro is THIN, it's killing me. It doesn't have the output, and it doesn't have the spongy gainy sustain I'm looking for. I have a strong feeling that the Evolution will give me that, but I'm worried that it's not a chunky rhythm pickup. Meaning that power chords won't sound crunch and brite, but more muddy and stuff? I have no idea, because I have never played an Evo pickup. I NEED ADVICE! I appreciate the feedback, give me more!! Help?

SB
post #11 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-31-2004, 08:52 PM Thread Starter

from what i know about Evo, the bridge model and the neck model is quite different. Bridge puts out 404 mV and Neck puts out 294 mV. Considering that, the neck evo should suit rythm playing quite well. Also, evos are pretty sensitive to change in volume pot so i imaging you can always roll back the volume a bit to get a crunch. I'm seriously considering Norton, Fred and Evo....can't wait to try them out in two weeks.....
post #12 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-31-2004, 10:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StupendousBoy

Kenny, you've got the lovely Blue Floral too (nice work buddy!) - so talk to me!! Help?! Do you like your Evo? Let's discuss!
.................................................. .................................................. .

I have had the Paf Neck/Evo Bridge combo in two different 6 strings (BFP and an RG - both basswood) and in my UV (the 7 string models, obviously - also basswood). The combination works for me. I find that the tones and volumes are balanced nicely between the two. They compliment eachother nicely. I put an AN7 into the neck of my UV once and found it to be too bass heavy for my taste. (although I love the 6 string AN in my mahogany J-custom)

Don't go crazy comparing output level of neck & bridge pickups. Bridge pickups are ALWAYS hotter because of where they're actually picking up the vibration from on the string. If you unplug the guitar for a sec and pluck the string where each pickup is, you'll hear what i'm talking about.

I know what's right for me and my ear, but I'm not going to speak as an authority. Some guys like Vai's sound, some like Korn's sound. (i prefer Vai, myself)

Here's the bottom line...Dimarzio has GREAT customer support and technical support. Buy a pickup for one of their dealers (i.e. NOT from Jemsite or ebay users, no offense) and they'll take back any pickup you don't like within 30 or 60 days - no questions asked. Try it out. If you don't like it, try something else. If nothing else, you'll get REALLY GOOD at soldering

~Kenny

PS: If you want to hear some audio samples of my guitars, let me know - i'll email 'em over.
post #13 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-31-2004, 10:49 PM Thread Starter

kenny, i agree with everything you said. The reason why i brought up output level difference is that StupendousBoy is more likely to get his 'crunch' out of the evo because he was worried about that. Besides, those specs are on there for a reason and that is to give the customers an idea what each pickup is like. Of course we shouldn't get too caught up in it but it is certainly a good frame of reference for those of us trying to make an educated guess and who don't have access to music store everyday. I've heard about that Dimarzio police and am going to take advantage of it and try a few pups, but i just realized that my funds needs to be regulated better....the frets are so bad that it'll probably make a better dirt bike track than frets....so that'll be added to my long list of 'things that need money for'
post #14 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-31-2004, 11:11 PM

Oh that's good to know kenny, thank you! I think I will try the Evolution in the bridge first, and I'll bet I like it! I'm pretty much set on the PAF Pro in the neck, it really does sound great.

You're right, I was driving myself batty thinking of what pickup to go with in the bridge position. I'm such a goofball sometimes.

You know I would totally like to listen to your sound - make it happen! I'll send you a little something back.

[email protected]

SB
post #15 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-31-2004, 11:28 PM Thread Starter

oo yes! almost forgot, please do send sound samples to me also

[email protected]

thanks so much!

-Bo

Tags
air norton , blaze pickups , blues saraceno , bridge pickup , bridge pickups , bridge position , distortion pedal , evo bridge , fret neck , mahogany body , maple neck , mesa boogie , music store , neck evo , neck pickup , neck position , paf pro , paf pros , power amp , rack power amp , rosewood board , seymour duncan , steve vai , tube amp

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Similar Searches

People searched for this, also searched for these:

jem 77fp for sale?
ibanez jem 77fp how much it cost
where to buy jem 77fp

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode