Evo Vs Steve Morse bridge model ? - Jemsite
Pickups & wiring Discussion about pickup types, replacements, recomendations, switching, wiring diagrams and sustainer systems for ANY guitar, JEMs included.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-24-2004, 01:57 PM Thread Starter

Evo Vs Steve Morse bridge model ?

After I got a Dimarzio for my Kramer (Double Whammy) I found that I am not playing my Ibanez nearly as much. . I have an EMG ZW set along with an S in the middle (85 in the bridge though ) I don't like the pickups response as much as the DM. The harmonics are sterile the tone is also not warm enough for my liking. I don't like overly warm but there comes a point

Anyway I am bummed about it the EMGs are going as soon as possible. then comes my next dilema. The bridge pickup. I know I will have an air norton in the neck (I tried one and instantly new thats the one, its what happens to all my gear. I only need to plug in for 2 mins and I will know if its right for me!!) Anyway, the bridge pickup. I am drawing a blank on this one. It needs to be:

I like medium-super high output pickups. I like screaming treble, but I like it rounded in the upper most frequencies so it avoids being bright. The Evo I tried was immense in filling this criteria,the presence made it scream but not make it overly bright. Mid range is kind of strange for me. I am VERY particular about it. I need good high-mids to fufil the scream, but also coupled with a decent low-mids (just enough to make it warm). I would look for a V or U like shaped mid range. Also it needs to be really smooth the EVO filled this as well, . I mean like on the Racer X album Technical difficulties (particularly fire of rock and BRO). I also like the vocal like qualities of the Fred and Evos and am lloking for that also. Lastly I am looking for the tightest bass possible, so no mud please!! I look for clarity and space when playing the more the better!!

I am looking at the Evo at the moment but i know the Steve Morse is sweet as well. I need to know a few things about the SM first:
-Is it Dual Resonance?
-It is geared towards the high mids I beleive. Will its scream match an Evo I hear they are similar? (treble is low and it has a 450mV output)
-It has a lower DC resistance than an Evo will this improve the smoothness?

I am not out to replicate anyones tone in anyway shape or form. So saying 'Vai uses one!' Isn't going to change my mind at all!!

Lastly the guitar is an RG 550 it has a basswood body, Edge locking trem and a maple neck with maple fingerboard. (for those who don't know already )

Sorry for the long rambling. Just EMGs are getting me down

Also I am aware they are both ceramic magnets

Where ar my manners!! Thanks for trying to help.
Freak
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-24-2004, 10:09 PM

What amp are you running into? I've noticed that EMG's sound killer through tube amps but not so great through solid state setups. It comes from the fact that they're so clean that they're almost "sterile" sounding. I'd try a Duncan custom in the bridge slot were I you. (TB-5) That's what I have in my S-series, along with a Jazz model in the neck. It's a really clean, moderate output pickup that sounds better than just about anything else I've tried. I've always liked really clean sounding pickups so that I can rely on the amp for distortion, rather than dirty sounding pickups.
post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-25-2004, 12:04 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadRyan
What amp are you running into? I've noticed that EMG's sound killer through tube amps but not so great through solid state setups. It comes from the fact that they're so clean that they're almost "sterile" sounding. I'd try a Duncan custom in the bridge slot were I you. (TB-5) That's what I have in my S-series, along with a Jazz model in the neck. It's a really clean, moderate output pickup that sounds better than just about anything else I've tried. I've always liked really clean sounding pickups so that I can rely on the amp for distortion, rather than dirty sounding pickups.
I have got a Marshall DSL. Its alright not the greatest amp, but for the price it was a bargain!! Much better than most at its price range.

Anyway back to the point, I am not a great fan of Duncans everyone I have tried I didn't like. Except for the JB was pretty sweet, but I prefer a more complex mid range which I have only found possible through Dual Resonance designs. I don't like the idea of scooped mids either which nearly all duncans have!!

What I have found that I like about the Evos are:
-The molten 'liquid' like sound
-Scream-o-mania
-Vocal like mids

The only thing i really didn't like too much is the mid range is just focused on the High mids. I would like for a more V or U like mids to keep it warm but not to make it bass heavy. (My DW does heavy sounds I need something for lead )

Thanks for the reply though keep em comin. Suggestions welcome. A new thought a Fred?? will it satisfy my needs.

Anybody tried or got the SM MM?? comments.

Any Response appreciated.
post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-15-2004, 03:51 PM Thread Starter

I am almost completely sure on a Morse in the bridge now

I e-mailed Dimarzio but they reccomended an Evo. But I learnt a few things about the morse, they said it can scream really well but is not as bright as the Evo. It isn't a dual resonance pickup although from the sound samples I have heard (Steve Morse straight into a Pod no effects just bridge pickup!!) I find it hard to believe!! It is one of the smoothest pickups I have ever heard, I compared it to a P90 also through a Pod and it blew it away. Another factor (I know its really stupid but) I like Vais ALS tone the most by far and he used didn't use evos, when I compare to his live version of Juice on G3 live in Denver the albums tone wins hands down IMO.

Lastly I have one quick question, can anybody compare the tonal qualities of Basswood to Poplar? I looked at Frank's wood guide but it doesn't contain poplar ( From what I hear its bad anyway!)

Thanks
post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-15-2004, 04:13 PM

Poplar is "like" a worse grade of basswood. It's more yellow, often more flawed, and flawed to a worse degree. It's not that its horrible or anything, but you can pretty much go off of your experience with basswood. They aren't that different. I prefer basswood in all cases, though.

I'd get the Morse, if for no other reason that the RG/Evolution combination is everywhere. Be different! I highly doubt you'd get the SM and then regret it.
post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-15-2004, 04:22 PM

I'm with franky on this one.
post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-15-2004, 04:39 PM

I could have sworn he used evo's on G3...

I hate to say it, as everyone's saying "don't get the evo, be different!" but that upper mid peak in the evo might be what I'm looking for- something about the tone zone 7 just hasn't been cutting it for me, of late, in my 7620, and while it's tough to compare basswood to mahogany, i absolutely LOVED the evo7 i had in my old 2027...

-D
post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-15-2004, 05:50 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drew
Thats what I meant!! I prefer the albums tone which ibelieve was using paf pros (and obviously a Bognor Ecstasy)

Ok thanks for the replies Morse it is then
post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-18-2004, 11:09 AM

Oops, lol, i meant to write, "I could have sworn he used Evo's on ALS." He was playing a Jem7wh, at any rate...

-D
post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-21-2004, 02:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankfalbo
Poplar is "like" a worse grade of basswood. It's more yellow, often more flawed, and flawed to a worse degree. It's not that its horrible or anything, but you can pretty much go off of your experience with basswood. They aren't that different. I prefer basswood in all cases, though.

I'd get the Morse, if for no other reason that the RG/Evolution combination is everywhere. Be different! I highly doubt you'd get the SM and then regret it.
Hey! Be nice! Poplar is my favourite tone wood! Poplar body w/ Maple neck/fretboard, EMG 81 bridge/85 neck... wonderful combo...
post #11 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-21-2004, 10:20 AM

I WAS being nice! :P

Just kidding. Its really just a material thing. There's a greater degree of discoloration and mineral streaks, and that's why you'll rarely see it finished in any see through or sunburst colors. EB/MM pretty much follows that rule. When you get a clean piece of poplar it looks as good as basswood, maybe a little more yellow. But as for sound it's pretty similar. I've played some Silouhettes that I really liked. Because its cheaper though, it'll generally be used for cheaper guitars, so it sometimes gets a bad rap.
post #12 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-21-2004, 01:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drew

I hate to say it, as everyone's saying "don't get the evo, be different!" but that upper mid peak in the evo might be what I'm looking for- something about the tone zone 7 just hasn't been cutting it for me, of late, in my 7620, and while it's tough to compare basswood to mahogany, i absolutely LOVED the evo7 i had in my old 2027...

-D
Drew, what about the TZ has been letting you down? I love mine. I think my 7 string with the EVO 7 sounds pretty good, then I plug in my TZ equipped 570 and it wins hands down. At least in my experience, the EVO isn't nearly as vocal as a TZ, so if you really like that about it, you might think twice before you take it out.
post #13 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-22-2004, 09:16 AM

I'd also go with the Steve Morse. I have one, and am actually having it put in my RG550 today. Expect it sound like a Super Distortion with high end boost. I had it my RG and switched it out for a Bartolini, but the Bart just went dead so the Morse is going back in to stay. Mine isn't F spaced, but I don't know that any of them actually were (not that it matters sound wise, and no one will notice on my guitar )

jim
post #14 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-22-2004, 03:22 PM Thread Starter

EMGs are sold

I expect I will order this weekend (or check Evil Bay )

freak
post #15 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-22-2004, 03:40 PM

Grindfiend, the rhythm sounds from the TZ absolutely kill, and yes, i really dig the "vocal" quality. However, the downside is what that "vocalness" does to the treble frequencies. It's tough to describe what it does, but when you roll the volume back, it has this way of emphasizing, idunno... string noise, maybe. If you want, I can record a quick sound clip for you, to show you what I'm talking about.

The almost wah-like inflection and harmonic responsiveness on the Tone Zone is both it's blessing and it's curse, IMO. It gives the pickup a lot of it's midrange-y character, but probably 7 times out of 10, I'd prefer a more "neutrally" colored pickup. Not that the Evo is exactly flat, but i recall it's high end being "truer."

-D

Tags
air norton , basswood body , bridge pickup , dimarzio pickup , dimarzio pickups , guitar tech , high output pickups , maple fingerboard , maple neck , marshall dsl , mini toggle , neck humbucker , output pickup , paf pro , paf pros , pickup height , scooped mids , steve morse , strat pickups , super distortion , toggle switch , tone zone , tube amp , tube amps , van halen

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode