Evo wiring in the REAL life. - Jemsite
Pickups & wiring Discussion about pickup types, replacements, recomendations, switching, wiring diagrams and sustainer systems for ANY guitar, JEMs included.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-22-2003, 09:37 PM Thread Starter

Evo wiring in the REAL life.

This was found the first time i opened the pickguard on my JEM10th, (confirmed of BURT777 on his JEM10th too...) :

GREEN/RED together to the switch.

WHITE/GROUNDWIRE together to the Groundpart of the POT.

BLACK alone as HOT output to the switch...

Singelciol has BLACK to ground and RED to the switch.

Both Humbuckers pointing the same way (the outgion hole for the wire is at the same side)...

That is NOT what the suggested diagrams says funny or what??
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-22-2003, 11:14 PM

the hums are wired that way due to phase issues. the way that the hums coils are paired is:

coil 1: red is start winding, black is the finish
coil 2: white is start winding, green is the finish

in your physical wiring, the leads are just reversed. still in series. the reason may also stem from the orientation of the pickup, to determine which coil is hot when the special 5 circuit shorts one of the coils to ground.

no biggee. if you wanted to rewire it back to the specs, go ahead...should be ok.

rich
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-23-2003, 12:59 AM

is it easy to install an evo ??
post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-23-2003, 07:42 AM Thread Starter

Should not be harder to install than any else of the DiMarzio series, Breed, Tone zone, Air Norton e.t.c....

Reason why i react is that the WDiagram shows a different Wiresetup:

Black&White together to switch (yes iknow thats for shortening out one of the coils thanks rty... ).

Green and bare together as ground.

Red as hot output to switch...

After resoldering my JEM10th from above setting, I found it to be much, much more "nasal" treblier, thinner and less bottom in all positions!!

Though I preferred the first wiring, Iīll try to change it back and see if itīll get "Warmer"....

This is just a thought for all of U who feels the Evolutions to be much too bright and wants to warm it up a little bit...
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-23-2003, 10:30 PM

The Otax wiring in my Jem10

On request, and just for those using the search engine in the future, here's the Otax wiring in my Jem10. I think no-one really tempered with it, thoug as Jem10th stated, it's not exactly how the WDiagram states.

The otax-side points towards the trem, the other side points towards the bottom of the guitar. It has 4 'wings':

The Otax side and the VLX side, and the O side and the X side. The X refers to the Otax-X, not the VLX-X, so the X-side of the VLX side i could also have called 'V side of the VLX side. Hope this is not even more confusing, here goes:

The X-side on the Otax side:
5 - empty
4 - Red & Green from the Neck PU
3 - empty
2 - Red & Green from the Bridge PU
1 - empty
C - piece of metal connects it to the base of the otax switch, and from there a black wire goes to the volume pot base.

The O-side on the Otax side:
5 - soldered to 4 on the same 'wing'
4 - (see 5), Black from Bridge PU
3 - empty
2 - soldered to 1 on same 'wing'
1 - (see 2), Black from Neck PU
C - piece of metal goes to O-side on VLX wing (right next to it), white wire goes to the volume pot's left connector (which connects also to the tone)

The O-side on the VLX-side:
5 - empty
4 - connects to 3 and 2 with a piece of metal
3 - connects to 2 and 4 with a piece of metal, Red from middle PU
2 - connects to 3 and 4
1 - empty
C - bare piece of metal to O-side of Otax-side

The X-side of of the VLX side (or the V-side of VLX) is empty
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-24-2003, 03:33 AM Thread Starter

Thanks, man you are gold!!!!

BTW: The 12345 positions is not referred to the printed numbers on the circuit, just counting from UPside down to the C on all "wings"...or???

If you look closely 2 of the "wings" says 54321c and the other 2 says 12345c, counting from top to bottom, wich is the only thing confusing me from your description.

Funny is the the 5-4 and 1-2 connection on the "hot" side, did not xist on my JEM10 from scratch my Neck and Bridge HOT where only set to position 1 and 5, wich does not make the proper "split" function...

Someone was really tired that day at Hoshino.....

Tags
air norton , tone zone

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode