Evo2 vs Steve's Special - Jemsite
Pickups & wiring Discussion about pickup types, replacements, recomendations, switching, wiring diagrams and sustainer systems for ANY guitar, JEMs included.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 09-12-2005, 12:37 PM Thread Starter

Talking Evo2 vs Steve's Special

Ok, for my next guitar project, I want something a little different. Probably based on a RG570, basswood body. I am trying to decide between Evo 2™ Bridge DP215 or the Steve's Special™ DP161. This is what they have on the web site, but I wanted to hear other opinion. I like the original Evo, but would really like the cleaner chords out put, more sensitivity but still great for solos sustain when needed.

Evo 2™ Bridge DP215
The original Evolution® bridge model did exactly what Steve Vai wanted it to do: kick butt and produce serious scream. Now he wants something a little more complex-the same basic tone with increased headroom and dynamics, so that the sound kills on 10 and cleans up when the volume is rolled down. With a little less power than the original Evolution®, Evo 2™ balances perfectly with the Evolution® neck model and performs equally well with high gain and vintage amps.

Recommended For: Bridge position in solid-body guitars

Tech Talk: The overall tonality of the Evo 2™ is very similar to the sound of the Evolution® bridge model, but a couple of subtle changes give Evo 2™ a distinctive character of its own. Treble response is a little smoother, and pick attack is more focused. This translates out to a quicker, more dynamic response to soft or hard picking – the pickup has more “feel”, and can adapt to a wide range of musical styles. And you can still get the intense harmonics of the original Evolution®.

Steve's Special™ DP161
Steve's Special™ is a non-traditional approach to high-output bridge humbucking pickup design. Hot humbuckers usually concentrate most of the pickup's power in a narrow frequency bandwidth for maximum impact. Using our patented dual-resonance design, Steve's Special™ takes the opposite path, spreading the sound over a broad range. Bass and treble frequencies are boosted while the mids are pulled back, so the pickup's power doesn't kick a high-gain amp into overdrive as easily. This makes Steve's Special™ a good choice for both fast soloing and clean chords, because individual notes won't smear together with heavy overdrive, and clean sounds have an almost "hi-fi" quality.

Recommended For: Bridge position.

Tech Talk: Clean overdrive with high-gain amps. Very effective in Dual Sound® and coil splitting clean modes. For soloing, this is a very good pickup to play with a midrange-heavy amp: the mid-scoop in the pickup's sound keeps the initial pick attack clean, and the notes don't run together as much with legato playing, even with heavy overdrive.

Last edited by bluealien; 09-12-2005 at 01:11 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 09-12-2005, 12:44 PM

Re: Evo2 vs Steve's Special

I've tried an Evo in Basswood and hated it. Don't know abou the Evo 2 though. I think maybe that a Steve's Special would be more suited to Baswood. My 2 sen.
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 09-12-2005, 07:10 PM Thread Starter

Re: Evo2 vs Steve's Special

Also looking at the difference of output & tone:

Evo 2 - Bridge DP215
Output: 375
Treble: 6
Mids: 7.5
Bass: 6

Steve's Special - Bridge DP161
Output: 390
Treble: 6.5
Mids: 4.5
Bass: 7.5

As compared to the orginal Evolution - Bridge DP159
Output: 404
Treble: 6.5
Mids: 7
Bass: 6

Also, I was looking to buy online, I can't find a Evo 2 in white with black poles. I guess its too new, and I would have to special order them. Grrr!

Tags
basswood body , bridge hum , bridge position , coil split , coil splitting , dual sound , humbucking pickup , steve vai

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode